Anyone into the Hebrew roots of Christianity?

BANDERSNATCH

speaking of Sabbath, everyone in the NT kept Sabbath, and it is prophecied in Isaiah that we will all be worshipping on the Sabbath in the millennium. Would be crazy to think God doesn't care about Sabbath now.

RegularJoe

there is a list in the new testament, that Jesus gave us.
Love God
Love your neighbor.
Thanks ... OK ...
now do I simply do the above and pay no specific attention to The 10 Commandments??????
I mebbe need a tad more guidance from you NE GA Pappy. Thx.

BANDERSNATCH

There's one group of people that the devil hates. He doesn't hate Christians, he hates Christians that KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD. REV 12:17

BANDERSNATCH

Keep in mind, Brothers, that we are all alike....believers in Jesus Christ the Messiah...and saved as long as we believe that. I don't obey Him out of legalism or trying to earn something....I obey Him because I LOVE HIM! Never felt as close to him as I do now! John 14:21

RegularJoe

I don't obey Him out of legalism or trying to earn something....I obey Him because I LOVE HIM! John 14:21
Yup ... Love Him while my obedience also driven by gratitude for what He did for me ... NO STRINGS ATTACHED :) (y).

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Just 2 ¢ , 'cause that's all it's worth.
Whether it's Torah, Wisdom, Prophets, Poetic, Gospels, Epistles, or the ones I forgot, if I think I see a conflict in my understanding, or unexplained priorities, or superseded commandments, I take it as an indication that I have to continue praying and studying. i.e., going to church on Sat. or Sun: I figure that is the same, whether sundown Sat. or 10:45 Sun., as "assembling yourselves together" and not to be neglected. To insist that it be accomplished by the calendar or clock is legalism, to ignore the commandment is antinomianism, so both are probably sinful. As to working on the Sabbath, I think the commandment is consecrate time which is deliberately dedicated to God to the exclusion of worldly endeavors. It's not whether you eat pork, it's that what we eat is not excluded from those things that we dedicate God, and achieve by God's grace. Cover to cover, God's Word should be approached as Christ taught us. (Mat, 5:17-48). Almost forgot, Paul told us how we could be obediently sinful (Rm. 14) — notice that the obedient sinfulness applies to both the mature and the immature (or at least that's the way I read it).

Or maybe God didn't get it right and had to change His mind about how His People would obey Him.

Israel

BANNED
Things I have learned, things I haven't learned, things I do not want to learn. God knows them all.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Thanks ... OK ...
now do I simply do the above and pay no specific attention to The 10 Commandments??????
I mebbe need a tad more guidance from you NE GA Pappy. Thx.

If you love God and Love your neighbor, you will automatically keep the 10.

Tell me one that you can break while loving God with your whole heart, and your neighbor as you love yourself

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
We don't go out to eat on Sabbath since we would be buying and making others work for us. Many people have to work on Sabbath but, IMO, their heart should be to have a job where they can honor God's Sabbath.

Please explain Col 2:16 in regard to keeping the Sabbath and the other holy days

BANDERSNATCH

I forget... which of the 10 was that?
a common misinterpretation. Paul is telling people not to judge them FOR keeping holy days, and Sabbaths.... as you know, he kept the Law himself, and loved it.

As to pork, it is part of God's commandments....the 617

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
a common misinterpretation. Paul is telling people not to judge them FOR keeping holy days, and Sabbaths.... as you know, he kept the Law himself, and loved it.

As to pork, it is part of God's commandments....the 617
hmmm...

lets read a bit more of that and see...

13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross. 16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

in Pappyese...

You were dead in your sins, but God cancelled the death warrant by nailing Christ to the cross. And since the death warrant is void, don't let anyone judge what you eat, drink, or the holy days or sabbaths you observe. These were an example of what was to come, but are made real in Christ.
'

Do you interpret that differently?

and BTW... 3 times now I have limited my statement that Love covers the 10, not all the little things added by the priests.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
and BTW... 3 times now I have limited my statement that Love covers the 10, not all the little things added by the priests.

Tell me one that you can break while loving God with your whole heart, and your neighbor as you love yourself
Yes, that is very important.

Another 2¢
In a little wider context, I have thought that:

THE COVENANT:
I will be your God and you will be my People.

THE LAW:
The Great Commandment.

AMENDMENT #1 is:
The Ten Commandments

ADDENDUM #1 is:
The Law and the Prophets.

Each level further describes the one above,
and failure at any level negates those above.

Last edited:

Jabberwock

hmmm...

lets read a bit more of that and see...

13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross. 16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

in Pappyese...

You were dead in your sins, but God cancelled the death warrant by nailing Christ to the cross. And since the death warrant is void, don't let anyone judge what you eat, drink, or the holy days or sabbaths you observe. These were an example of what was to come, but are made real in Christ.
'

Do you interpret that differently?

NE GA Pappy,

I, like Bandy, believe that Paul was encouraging us to not let anyone judge us FOR keeping the sabbath, feast days, etc. I really don't like the NIV translation which I believe you quoted from there. I believe there is a small mistranslation there in verse 17. Where it says, "a shadow of things that were to come," the greek would read "a shadow of things that are LINGERING." The NKJV version does a pretty good job IMO and reads "to come."

Keep in mind, that just a few verses prior, Paul warns us not to be "cheated" by the tradition of men rather than following Christ. Which we know, was the living Word. A perfect example of God's Word.

RegularJoe

I am not challenging you .... I have simply requested your further elaboration and guidance.

Artfuldodger

Then in a way, aren't we all saying the same thing as what obedience is? Regardless of how many list one wants to use to spell it all out.
Love God and neighbor, the 10 Comandments or Torah?

Then theirs Paul's lists and rules. Women can't wear gold and pearls. Women can't teach men. Men can't have sex with men, etc. Men can't be effeminate.
Women must cover their heads to pray. I guess what I'm asking is why do we keep some of these things and not all of these things to show our obedience?
Jesus did tell us to obey his Father. That has to mean something. Otherwise you wouldn't be so many Christians upset about homosexuality. And I'm not just talking about Torah keepers.

So there has to be a list somewhere that we are basing our obedience on.

Artfuldodger

Then there will be a resurrection of the good and a resurrection of the evil. Not the saved and unsaved. Something, perhaps obedience that causes this separation.
Even if the fruits are from the Spirit, there is a difference.

Then we are back to salvation by grace. I've heard many say if the fruit ain't there, that's the proof they may not be saved.

There is still something missing from this narrative.