Interesting hunting bill introduced

lampern

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20192020/SB/72

A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Chapter 1 of Title 27 of the O.C.G.A., relating to general provisions relative to game and fish, so as to remove a prohibition on hunting on wildlife management areas; to change the date of effective rules and regulations of the Board of Natural Resources; to amend Part 1 of Article 1 of Chapter 3 of Title 27 of the O.C.G.A., relating to general provisions relative to hunting, so as to provide for regulation of hunting with air guns of not less than 0.30 caliber; to modify seasons and bag limits for deer, opossum, and raccoon; to modify certain prohibitions relating to restrictions on hunting feral hogs; to amend various provisions of the O.C.G.A., so as to make conforming changes; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I've never been able to understand the way they word this stuff.
So are they making air guns, 30 cal, legal?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
This makes big bore air rifles legal big game weapons with a sunset of 5 years to allow time for the manufacturers to get the Pittman-Robertson excise tax imposed on them, which is currently limited to firearms, ammunition, and archery.

One section grants DNR the authority to regulate the deer bag limit within 12 and manage the extended archery season for metro areas. There's also some cleanup language on the raccoon/possum zone lines that no longer exist and updating the scientific name for cougars.

This also clears up the interference with neighboring properties. I.e you can't bait a property line in such a way that would make hunting on your neighbors land illegal.

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
This makes big bore air rifles legal big game weapons with a sunset of 5 years to allow time for the manufacturers to get the Pittman-Robertson excise tax imposed on them, which is currently limited to firearms, ammunition, and archery.

One section grants DNR the authority to regulate the deer bag limit within 12 and manage the extended archery season for metro areas. There's also some cleanup language on the raccoon/possum zone lines that no longer exist and updating the scientific name for cougars.

This also codifies baiting into law (currently regulation by executive order) and clears up the interference with neighboring properties. I.e you can't bait a property line in such a way that would make hunting on your neighbors land illegal.

Thanks Charlie!!!

Sixes

Is there any chance that the extended archery season areas will be increased to include other counties? Mostly curious about south Cherokee, I'm really surprised that it is not included already since our population is very similar to Forsyth county

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
They’s ten tons more in this bill than we can shake a stick at.

For one NO CLOSED SEASON OR LIMIT ON FOX. Jan 1- Dec 31

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
They’s ten tons more in this bill than we can shake a stick at.

For one NO CLOSED SEASON OR LIMIT ON FOX. Jan 1- Dec 31

That's the existing law, the only new language is anything underlined. That is the legal framework for fox, the seasons are set within that by regulation. The current fox season, which isn't changing, is Dec. 1 to the end of Feb. There never has been a limit in any recent years.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Is there any chance that the extended archery season areas will be increased to include other counties? Mostly curious about south Cherokee, I'm really surprised that it is not included already since our population is very similar to Forsyth county
We would likely base it on a standardized home density per square mile which is how the original metro counties were delineated.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
A buddy has an air rifle that shoots a 357 projectile.

I will stick with my 270

Lukikus2

Tough job. Tough decisions. I once hunted property that could not sustain the population of deer on it. State biologists even said. We were backed up by 100's of thousands acres of mountain. The deer congregated every year to our property. The only way to get the population down so the land would sustain them was to pass antlerless days for the whole county. Quite a conundrum for parts of the county that had sparse populations.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
And bobcats would be considered the in same category or is this to separate the two.

No, bobcats are listed independently. Cougars/mountain lions used to be classified in the genus Felis, but were later moved into the new genus Puma after genetics showed them to be more different from other cats in the genus Felis. It's just a housekeeping change to use the more current and correct scientific name for the animal.

b rad

No, bobcats are listed independently. Cougars/mountain lions used to be classified in the genus Felis, but were later moved into the new genus Puma after genetics showed them to be more different from other cats in the genus Felis. It's just a housekeeping change to use the more current and correct scientific name for the animal.

why are they putting puma on the closed season list if they arent in GA?