Not paying for a brand name

NOYDB

BANNED
I had a friend who installed car stereos. I worked with him on project to set up the listening room for the store he worked at. We in stalled multiple receivers and wired up over a dozen pairs of speakers thru patch panels.

On panel A were all the receivers on on panel B were all the speakers. The patch panels were on rotary switches. Panel A position 1 was a receiver, position 2 was a different receiver. By switching the dial around you could compare different set ups to see what you liked.

What we found was that there is no hearable difference between receivers. But that people could hear the difference between speakers. At the time the big name was Alpine and it drew a premium price. But the least expensive receiver sounded the same as the most expensive Alpine unit. Some of the marketing was that your Ferrari would have an Alpine stereo installed. But that if you shelled out more money for a Alpine stereo unit for your Chevy it would sound as good as a Ferrari. Thing was speakers were installed by size. What would fit in the cut out hole in the door panel of your model car. Round 3", 4" or oval 4"x6" or custom cut your own holes.

Change the speakers, change the sound.
Change the receiver, identical sound.

I used to be an audiophile and spent large amounts for audio equipment. Till I had it physically proved to me I was wasting a lot a money on name equipment that had no effect on sound quality.

sinclair1

On my way to a sound system contest, just bought a audiovox system with two 6x9 speakers. Spent $125 and plan to win against those 12k systems. Wish me luck. I am banking nothing has changed in the 42 years it’s been since you rolled thru with your 18 wheeler

sinclair1

I also plan to stop by the coffee thread and tell everyone all the coffee comes from the same fields and black rifle goes down the same line as Folgers

NOYDB

BANNED
On my way to a sound system contest, just bought a audiovox system with two 6x9 speakers. Spent $125 and plan to win against those 12k systems. Wish me luck. I am banking nothing has changed in the 42 years it’s been since you rolled thru with your 18 wheeler

Thing back in those days was a "battle" between installed sound systems. "Who has the loudest system". Actually had money prizes for who had the loudest system installed. I kept my hearing by not attending.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That's funny. Most popular music has been played with intentional distortion for many decades. Pedals for the instruments and mixed in distortion by the sound engineers for everything else.

NOYDB

BANNED
I really like music. All genres. I attended the opening of BJ studios in orlando and heard a pair of Uri Time aligned studio monitor speakers. Like having an orgasm in the ears. Was quoted that they went for $30,000 a pair.

I thought they were worth it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's funny. Most popular music has been played with intentional distortion for many decades. Pedals for the instruments and mixed in distortion by the sound engineers for everything else.
You want distortion on your guitar, not on the stereo that you're listening to it on. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So, do you contend that a Bose or JBL or Peavey Black Widow speaker is the same as a 通用的一块狗屎 brand speaker that you bought at the flea market? I can already tell you the answer after playing music for a living half my life. I guess that experience doesn't matter, though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Back on my truck driving days, I picked up Peavy Black widow speakers on one of my runs. They were coming off the same line as highschool intercom speakers running off Chinese batteries inspected by a blind grandma.
I've had some guitar amps that I souped up with Peavy Black Widows that R.O.C.K.E.D. :banana:

Reactions: Dub

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I had a friend who installed car stereos. I worked with him on project to set up the listening room for the store he worked at. We in stalled multiple receivers and wired up over a dozen pairs of speakers thru patch panels.

On panel A were all the receivers on on panel B were all the speakers. The patch panels were on rotary switches. Panel A position 1 was a receiver, position 2 was a different receiver. By switching the dial around you could compare different set ups to see what you liked.

What we found was that there is no hearable difference between receivers. But that people could hear the difference between speakers. At the time the big name was Alpine and it drew a premium price. But the least expensive receiver sounded the same as the most expensive Alpine unit. Some of the marketing was that your Ferrari would have an Alpine stereo installed. But that if you shelled out more money for a Alpine stereo unit for your Chevy it would sound as good as a Ferrari. Thing was speakers were installed by size. What would fit in the cut out hole in the door panel of your model car. Round 3", 4" or oval 4"x6" or custom cut your own holes.

Change the speakers, change the sound.
Change the receiver, identical sound.

I used to be an audiophile and spent large amounts for audio equipment. Till I had it physically proved to me I was wasting a lot a money on name equipment that had no effect on sound quality.
A signal is a signal. A signal from a Pioneer or Alpine reciever may not translate differently electronically, but it may still be signalling ten years after the 通用的一块狗屎 reciever has done crapped out.

GoldDot40

I've installed as many or more stereo systems than anybody else I know (who doesn't work in a car audio shop). I've done installs for friends, family, friends of friends and family...and even perfect strangers that were referred to me by friends of friends. To the common man who doesn't know what to listen for, they just may not HEAR the difference...but I can. The difference is in how much adjustability the unit has for the equalizer and even how much voltage it puts out at the RCA connectors...which is only relevant when using an amplifier. Some ARE better than others.

Lower end models may have preset EQ's they you can only adjust bass and treble. Then you'll have some with just a 3 or 5 band EQ. Then you'll even get some with 8, 10, or 12 band EQ's. If you have the ear and know how to set one up correctly...then yes, you CAN hear a difference between brands.

I have taken an perfectly good Alpine out of a dude's car and installed a Pioneer (he wanted a Bluetooth option) and could set up the Pioneer to sounds twice as good as the Alpine I took out. When I bought my Honda, it had a Kenwood head unit. I didn't care for it. Took it out and installed a Pioneer...with no other changes...and it sounded WAY better. It's mainly the clarity of high frequencies at higher volumes that I can hear the most difference.

Yes...there is also a big difference in speakers in regard to sound quality. A lot of that is 2-way vs 3-way components and speaker size...but ALSO matching the RMS handling as close as you can to the source. Example, you have a head unit that produces 45 watts of RMS...you want to get as close as you can to that when shopping for speakers.

One of the most common complaints I used to hear was that somebody went and paid big $$ for some 300 watt speakers...and have them plugged up to just a head unit and they were severely disappointed. I'd send them to buy a 4 channel amp and put it in for them...HUGE difference.

The stereo in my Silverado is one of the best, cleanest (not loudest) sounding setups you'll ever hear. I've got JUST a Pioneer head unit with a LOT of adjustability powering matching low wattage component/door speakers. A 1000 watt amp (running at 2 ohms) with the gain turned 1/2 way down hitting one dual voice coil 12" sub in a custom fit box with the correct air space under the back seat. I've got less than $500 in the entire setup.

One of my co-workers spent $3000 to outfit his Jeep and had it professionally installed by a local car audio business...and can't fathom how MY < $500 radio sounds better/cleaner (not as loud) as his. I've been all up in his adjusting on it and just can't get it there. His is a Kenwood head unit...one of their top tier models. Tons of adjustments. His door/components are all top tier Infinity powered by a 4-channel amp. Two 12" Kicker subs powered by a 2-channel amp that I bridged for him (not sure why the shop didn't). His BOOMS and is as loud as you could ask for, but the sound just isn't "clean" as it should/could be. Yep...there IS a difference if you know what to listen for.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I never buy store brand anything, only name brands for me. Hope this helps

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've installed as many or more stereo systems than anybody else I know (who doesn't work in a car audio shop). I've done installs for friends, family, friends of friends and family...and even perfect strangers that were referred to me by friends of friends. To the common man who doesn't know what to listen for, they just may not HEAR the difference...but I can. The difference is in how much adjustability the unit has for the equalizer and even how much voltage it puts out at the RCA connectors...which is only relevant when using an amplifier. Some ARE better than others.

Lower end models may have preset EQ's they you can only adjust bass and treble. Then you'll have some with just a 3 or 5 band EQ. Then you'll even get some with 8, 10, or 12 band EQ's. If you have the ear and know how to set one up correctly...then yes, you CAN hear a difference between brands.

I have taken an perfectly good Alpine out of a dude's car and installed a Pioneer (he wanted a Bluetooth option) and could set up the Pioneer to sounds twice as good as the Alpine I took out. When I bought my Honda, it had a Kenwood head unit. I didn't care for it. Took it out and installed a Pioneer...with no other changes...and it sounded WAY better. It's mainly the clarity of high frequencies at higher volumes that I can hear the most difference.

Yes...there is also a big difference in speakers in regard to sound quality. A lot of that is 2-way vs 3-way components and speaker size...but ALSO matching the RMS handling as close as you can to the source. Example, you have a head unit that produces 45 watts of RMS...you want to get as close as you can to that when shopping for speakers.

One of the most common complaints I used to hear was that somebody went and paid big $$ for some 300 watt speakers...and have them plugged up to just a head unit and they were severely disappointed. I'd send them to buy a 4 channel amp and put it in for them...HUGE difference.

The stereo in my Silverado is one of the best, cleanest (not loudest) sounding setups you'll ever hear. I've got JUST a Pioneer head unit with a LOT of adjustability powering matching low wattage component/door speakers. A 1000 watt amp (running at 2 ohms) with the gain turned 1/2 way down hitting one dual voice coil 12" sub in a custom fit box with the correct air space under the back seat. I've got less than $500 in the entire setup.

One of my co-workers spent $3000 to outfit his Jeep and had it professionally installed by a local car audio business...and can't fathom how MY < $500 radio sounds better/cleaner (not as loud) as his. I've been all up in his adjusting on it and just can't get it there. His is a Kenwood head unit...one of their top tier models. Tons of adjustments. His door/components are all top tier Infinity powered by a 4-channel amp. Two 12" Kicker subs powered by a 2-channel amp that I bridged for him (not sure why the shop didn't). His BOOMS and is as loud as you could ask for, but the sound just isn't "clean" as it should/could be. Yep...there IS a difference if you know what to listen for.
Cut those low mids.

NOYDB

BANNED
There are differences you can hear, but not because of the brand name. A 1,000 Mhz signal that is reproduced at 1,000 Mhz is the goal. Different equipment does the reproduction closer because of how they are built, not because of the label on the face plate.

I have the bad habit of taking things apart, down to resistor and transistor level. When you can take the faceplate off one unit by one name and install it on another, using the same screws in the mounting screw holes. Which face plate is on the outside doesn't matter. You or any other human can not hear the difference between them.

But two people can hear the difference between two different sets of speakers.

Compare apples to apples. A unit sending out thru a three band Eq does not compare to a unit sending out thru a 12 band Eq. Doesn't matter the name on the outside.