Savage Anschutz Mark 12

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
we need to hold some 50 yrd rimfire online contests. I have a 58 Annie that I have never fired. I just can't seem to break away from my 513T or a custom 310 Winchester single shot to spend range time with it. A contest sure would be inticement to break out the Annie and she what she can do. Especially since I finally had that cataract removed from my sighting eye

Jester896

Senior Clown
one of the guys I was shooting with mentioned a good online contest. The second of these rifles went to a fella in NC and I had hoped we might at least have some good matches through email. There are still one of these and a 54 left.

I hate that I can't scope this one because it isn't magazine fed. I fired a couple and they were sweet..one with the trigger in the 6oz range....you can bet I wasn't ready for that shot to break...but they were all well under a dime @ 50.

It was a good day...I won my division...I was the only one in it :D...I am one of 2 people that have ever entered a perfect target on that range in that division. I guess I will have to go out there in 2 weeks and whip my butt. The points race is ON.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Cool finds! I didn't even know that Savage and Anschultz ever made rifles together.

rayjay

Anschutz made the rifle and Savage made the stock I think...some type of collaboration
Anschutz made the whole thing. Savage was the sole importer until around the late 70's. A Savage/Anschutz is an Anschutz. You guys need to shoot a 54.....

rayjay

That's some good shooting once you got the right target. It would be very hard to improve on that without going to a 36x scope and adding some wind flags and better ammo to the equation = $$$$$$

rayjay

I still have to 64 actioned rifles. One is an late 60's early 70's S/A Mark 10 and the other is a mid 90's 64P pistol in 22 Mag that had a terrible, huge rust pit just in front of the chamber. Both are now 17HM2 rifles.

The S/A has a Green Mountain blank that I turned and fitted. I threaded the receiver so I could easily swap bbls.

The 64P has a factory Annie bbl from a 1702 which is a 54 actioned sporter. I used Loctite 609 [ iirc ] to attach this bbl.

rayjay

These little rifles work great in matches below BR level. One of the most fun matches is the Extreme Rimfire Silhouette matches at Cherokee Gun club. The chickens are at 75m, pigs at 112, turkeys at 144 and rams at 188m [ 205 yds !! ]. You need a 20MOA base and the best ammo you can afford. The ammo is actually more important than the rifle.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Anschutz made the whole thing. Savage was the sole importer until around the late 70's. A Savage/Anschutz is an Anschutz.
See...I knew someone would straighten it out:) for one that old it is in real good shape inside.
You guys need to shoot a 54.....

He has one he wants to sell..it has the Lyman 15X with it in a wooden box.

That's some good shooting once you got the right target. It would be very hard to improve on that without going to a 36x scope and adding some wind flags and better ammo to the equation = $$$$$$

Thanks! It wasn't real bad for guessing where it was on the red targets either :) first target I got 3 in the same hole then fell apart.

Mine seems to like the S-K lot I have pretty good and I have 125 of those left. Then 500 of a new lot to test. I have not been able to pick up any Tenex (still on the way) but I did shoot some if it and the new Edge in another rifle and the results are good. I may test some Edge as well.

Just not into weight sorting and rim thickness checking :D

rayjay