Looking on advice for keeping Lab outside

j_seph

My Luna is now 3 years old, she has been an indoor dog her entire life. She has a kennel she stays in during the day while we are at work and we let her out about 2. Due to a grandson on the way her life I am afraid as an indoor dog is coming to an end. How do those of you who have Labs house and keep them outdoors? I grew up with the dog chained up outside my whole life but this is not an option and I would not do that to her to begin with. Want to make this as comfortable and fair to her as possible. Thanks for the ideas

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We have a 10 X 10 kennel with a dog house. I took some 12’ 2x4
And fastened them across the top and put tin on it for a roof. Shade and all. It’s about 6’ tall.
Got pen from Tractor supply.
They have all kind of stuff.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I am sorry to hear that your grandson is so allergic to dogs.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
We have a Petsafe wireless system for our German Shepherd. The only drawback is if it wasn't wireless, but buried wire instead, he would have the whole yard (2 acres) to roam.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Unless there is some compelling reason not to, train the grandson don't re-train the Lab. Dogs are good for kids. Kids who are not exposed to animals are more susceptible to illness and they miss the opportunity to learn things from a very good teacher.

Madman

We have a Petsafe wireless system for our German Shepherd. The only drawback is if it wasn't wireless, but buried wire instead, he would have the whole yard (2 acres) to roam.
I have a Petsafe wired system for our Beagles, it covers ~4 acres. I buried the wire in the "finished" part of the yard and then pulled the wire through old water hoses to go through the woods. I just laid the hose on the ground down the property lines. Works GREAT. I put a dog door in the garage with a radiant heater over their bed area.

Happiest beagles I have ever had. I have to shut the dog door at night if not they get out and bark.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I'm gonna steal that idea. Did you try to patent it yet?

ryanh487

I have a Petsafe wired system for our Beagles, it covers ~4 acres. I buried the wire in the "finished" part of the yard and then pulled the wire through old water hoses to go through the woods. I just laid the hose on the ground down the property lines. Works GREAT. I put a dog door in the garage with a radiant heater over their bed area.

Happiest beagles I have ever had. I have to shut the dog door at night if not they get out and bark.

Key word is "beagleS". Dogs are social animals, especially beagles. In a pack or even a pair they are happy wherever. A solitary lab being booted from the house with his family that's all he's known his whole life is not going to be happy alone outside all the time.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
^ This for sure.

I like the idea, though for dogs that will mind the wire. I thought that some who have a wired yard at home could take a couple of hoses and set up a temporary yard at a campsite when traveling. Still think it is a good idea for the right dog.

Madman

Key word is "beagleS". Dogs are social animals, especially beagles. In a pack or even a pair they are happy wherever. A solitary lab being booted from the house with his family that's all he's known his whole life is not going to be happy alone outside all the time.
no doubt, beagles love people. Ours have a mat that they lay on in the kitchen they come in and lay on until we get ready in the morning. In the evening my wife lets them in the basement while she sows and I piddle. When no one is home the only thing the Petsafe fence does is lets them roam the yard.

ryanh487

I wish I could let my dog out with just a petsafe fence, but Cobb county law says the dog has to be supervised if outside without an actual fence, so it more or less defeats the purpose. I wouldn't leave her out all day, but Letting her out to go to the bathroom while I do something else or simply leaving the sliding glass doors open on a pretty day and not worrying about where she is would be nice. Not that she'd go outside without me, my dog is attached to me at the hip whenever I'm home and won't even run around at the dog park to play with other dogs, just wants to follow me.

LifeLongHunter

Think of it this way how you like to be moved to live outside after living roughly a third of your life indoors. As others have said unless there are health issues train her and your grandson to live together, I have a 2 yr. old Lab and an older mix(Beagle/Rat Terrier) the older one has always stayed outside does want to be inside but our Lab wants to be with us whether inside or out.

no doubt, beagles love people. Ours have a mat that they lay on in the kitchen they come in and lay on until we get ready in the morning. In the evening my wife lets them in the basement while she sows and I piddle. When no one is home the only thing the Petsafe fence does is lets them roam the yard.
Just get a beagle to go with lab. I don’t own my lab anymore my beagle does

Madman

Just get a beagle to go with lab. I don’t own my lab anymore my beagle does
My children grew up with beagles. They wrestled and rolled, wherever the boys went I knew their beagles were with them. One day they came running out of the woods caring the young male. They said he got between then and copper head. Bit him on the muzzle.

Labs and beagles will be best buds.

I have an old lab female that’s 13 . She was a lone dog for years and she was an outside dog. One day at the plant where I work a poor old lemon beagle just showed up. He was hungry and some one had shot him in the neck with a 22. After a couple of days I went ahead and caught him and took him to the vet. Anyway he and that lab are together and I know when she goes he’s going to have to get a buddy. But they are a pair.

baddave

i'm an exception i know but i ain't fixin to let my lab get eat up w/ mosquitos all night . she has a basement w/ her own tv , sofa, and wood burning stove during winter. lately she stays in the garage at nite. summer time she'll be back in the basement w/ fan and AC.. maybe you could try one of those options

i'm an exception i know but i ain't fixin to let my lab get eat up w/ mosquitos all night . she has a basement w/ her own tv , sofa, and wood burning stove during winter. lately she stays in the garage at nite. summer time she'll be back in the basement w/ fan and AC.. maybe you could try one of those options
Basement in south east Georgia. Water table is way to high for that.