Chattahoochee NF-No Antlerless Deer Hunting

35 Whelen

I know this is the bear forum, however, this seems to be where many Chattahoochee National Forest deer hunters are also. Did anyone notice that in the proposed regulations there is no antlerless deer hunting east of I-75 during all seasons, archery, primitive weapons, and firearms for the next 2 seasons?

Chattahoochee National Forest - Outside of WMAs

Deer-East of I-75
2019-20
Archery Buck Only Sep 14-Oct 11
Firearms Buck Only Oct 19-Dec 26
Primitive Weapons Buck Only Oct 12-Oct 18

2020-21
Archery Buck Only Sep 12-Oct 9
Firearms Buck Only Oct 17-Dec 26
Primitive Weapons Buck Only Oct 10-Oct 16

Buckman18

This is a good thing, for 2 reasons: 1. Bears and Coyotes are killing so many fawns that the recruitment rate is way too low.

2. There needs to be some select or clear cutting for browse and fawn cover, and more plots for feed during the years of mast failures. I’m not sure we can do anything about that with it being federal land.

I wish the state would add a spring bear season and increase the limit for bears. For the life of me, I do not understand why the state does not want to reduce the current population by 90%. Bear hunting is fun, but when it’s time to deer hunt virtually NOBODY who lives and hunts up here values bears more than deer. Yet, over the past 20 years, as the bear and coyotes have increased the deer have greatly decreased.

Last edited:

Buckman18

Honestly, I am not sure this is going to be a difference maker? But it does show that at least it is ‘recognized’ by the state that the NF does indeed have a problem with the deer population. What gets done moving forward to remedy the root cause, we shall see.

Rulo

It should not have taken DNR this long to recognize that the mountain deer herd was in trouble. We been telling them for years now. They (DNR) do not listen. That fella with the Biology degree knows better than you (the guy sitting in the stand watching this all unfold over the years)......

If you watch what they do, how they manage our wildlife (especially on WMAs) they do little more than post yellow WMA signs on the trees.......... we as consumers are being ripped off.

Why does it take a GON member on here (KillerKyle) to organize a WMA cleanup on mountain WMA? Or myself writing a letter about a couch on a mountain WMA in the middle of a culdesac for 2 deer seasons to finally get picked up?

DNR better hope we (hunters) dont get organized politically and actually hold them (DNR) accountable for what they do and dont do on our public lands.......

Last edited:

goshenmountainman

I am glad to see it, haven't killed one in years, but it will not do any good without getting rid of more bears. Its about 10 yrs. to late!! I think the DNR should require the biologist to hunt deer, turkey, and bear only in the area they cover and know so much about, especially who ever is over the mountain area. I bet it wouldn't take so long to get something changed... Never will happen though, because most of them wouldn't even try to hunt after a couple of weeks!

Christian hughey

I know this is the bear forum, however, this seems to be where many Chattahoochee National Forest deer hunters are also. Did anyone notice that in the proposed regulations there is no antlerless deer hunting east of I-75 during all seasons, archery, primitive weapons, and firearms for the next 2 seasons?

Chattahoochee National Forest - Outside of WMAs

Deer-East of I-75
2019-20
Archery Buck Only Sep 14-Oct 11
Firearms Buck Only Oct 19-Dec 26
Primitive Weapons Buck Only Oct 12-Oct 18

2020-21
Archery Buck Only Sep 12-Oct 9
Firearms Buck Only Oct 17-Dec 26
Primitive Weapons Buck Only Oct 10-Oct 16
I see spotted action up there and see larger populations of deer near and on private land outside of the national forest areas. Of course pressure has some to do with it. I and many others would like to see a spring bear hunt and that may happen soon keep your opinion heard, but as far as conservation goes I see what kind of hard work goes into managing these animals, far from sitting on there hands. I will have to disagree and support DNR for what they do. Sometimes it takes public opinion and pushback to assure that the dollar doesn't outweight morals but they do a great job for the most part.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I am glad to see it, haven't killed one in years, but it will not do any good without getting rid of more bears. Its about 10 yrs. to late!! I think the DNR should require the biologist to hunt deer, turkey, and bear only in the area they cover and know so much about, especially who ever is over the mountain area. I bet it wouldn't take so long to get something changed... Never will happen though, because most of them wouldn't even try to hunt after a couple of weeks!

They do hunt those areas, you shouldn't assume they don't. While I do cover the whole state in my position, I have hunted on several mountain WMAs myself and lived up there for a short while. Hunting regulations are far from the biggest issue in the mountains, there are major habitat issues that DNR cannot address. This is not the first action on this issue, doe opportunity has been decreased several times in the area; unfortunately to no avail and hence more drastic measures.

ddd-shooter

Hunting regulations are far from the biggest issue in the mountains, there are major habitat issues that DNR cannot address.
We’ve known that for years also.
In reality, do you see habitat ever improving, or have the environmental groups made it impossible at the federal level?

goshenmountainman

These problems been happening since before y'all closed the mountain WMA's. Both Burton and Coleman river have plenty of food plots left that are not in the wilderness area that were not getting planted and use to have plenty of deer. I believe there was a bear problem way before these were closed and nobody would listen, if someone had been hunting them then they would have known what we all know now. This is just an opinion but I believe alot of people in these mountains have this same opinion, because we were out there covering ground..

Christian hughey

That's also telling someone where and how to hunt because of their service to the community I know me myself like to pack up and goes to a random spot I know nothing about and make it happen. Just to enjoy new scenery, sometimes it works out sometimes it don't but that's hunting. I don't disagree that we have a problem in the hills but that problem isn't the result of state DNR. Federal and politics get in the way of their decisions at times but they do what they feel is best for the quality, future of our resources at the time. Bear population has grown due to good conservation practices and now offer an awesome hunting in Georgia. I see plenty of deer once I get off the mountain top and down into flater land. I'm convinced the deer just don't like the straight up and down and I don't blame them, don't care much for it myself. Plenty of deer on the piedmont. I suggest making a trip down until things improve up there. Unfortunate cause I see some grade A bucks come from up there year after year.

Christian hughey

They do hunt those areas, you shouldn't assume they don't. While I do cover the whole state in my position, I have hunted on several mountain WMAs myself and lived up there for a short while. Hunting regulations are far from the biggest issue in the mountains, there are major habitat issues that DNR cannot address. This is not the first action on this issue, doe opportunity has been decreased several times in the area; unfortunately to no avail and hence more drastic measures.
Hey killmaster keep us posted when this year's ? kill harvest report becomes available. Sure seemed to be a good year for everyone.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
These problems been happening since before y'all closed the mountain WMA's. Both Burton and Coleman river have plenty of food plots left that are not in the wilderness area that were not getting planted and use to have plenty of deer. I believe there was a bear problem way before these were closed and nobody would listen, if someone had been hunting them then they would have known what we all know now. This is just an opinion but I believe alot of people in these mountains have this same opinion, because we were out there covering ground..

This has nothing to do with food plots and everything to do with a completely closed canopy forest. Fawning cover is likely the limiting factor.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Hey killmaster keep us posted when this year's ? kill harvest report becomes available. Sure seemed to be a good year for everyone.

I'll try, I just don't have direct access to the bear data like I do the deer stuff. I'll check with the bear biologist and see what's going on. I bet harvest is way up, I hunted Chattahoochee and me and everyone I talked to saw bears.

bany

The food plot hysteria tickles me. Not saying they aren’t good or even beneficial. Mother Nature makes them a lot better than man does but where and how big is her choosing. When I see 20-30 acres that had a recent wind event I think it’s a shame a fella can’t log this area. Salvage the downed logs and get it between a clear cut and selective.
I don’t like to bash any government workers. How do you get the elites to do the business of Us? How do we get them to work? Why do most get re-elected when we watch them focus on attacking and investigating each other rather than doing our business? Sorry I’m off topic now.
Thanks for your work Charlie!

j_seph

It should not have taken DNR this long to recognize that the mountain deer herd was in trouble. We been telling them for years now. They (DNR) do not listen. That fella with the Biology degree knows better than you (the guy sitting in the stand watching this all unfold over the years)......

If you watch what they do, how they manage our wildlife (especially on WMAs) they do little more than post yellow WMA signs on the trees.......... we as consumers are being ripped off.

Why does it take a GON member on here (KillerKyle) to organize a WMA cleanup on mountain WMA? Or myself writing a letter about a couch on a mountain WMA in the middle of a culdesac for 2 deer seasons to finally get picked up?

DNR better hope we (hunters) dont get organized politically and actually hold them (DNR) accountable for what they do and dont do on our public lands.......
DNR=WMA= Wildlife Management Area
Most of these Mountain WMA'S are properties of the USFS=United States Forest Service. DNR manages the wildlife, not their job to maintain the roads, organize litter pick up, etc.

What is the Forest Service?

We are a federal agency under the U.S. Department of Agriculture that manages 193 million acres of land, roughly the size of Texas. We manage public lands in the form of national forests and grasslands, provide technical and financial assistance to state and private forestry agencies and make up the largest forestry research organization in the world.

When and why was the Forest Service established?

Congress established the Forest Service in 1905 to provide quality water and timber for the nation’s benefit. Congress later directed the Forest Service to broaden its management scope for additional multiple uses and benefits and for the sustained yield of renewable resources such as water, forage, wildlife, wood, and recreation.

What does the Forest Service do?

We help people share and enjoy the forest, while conserving the environment for generations to come. Some activities are compatible. Some are not.
You, as a concerned citizen, can play a key role by expressing your views to Forest Service managers to help us strike a balance and make decisions in the best interest of the public lands and the public.

What is the Forest Service mission?

The mission of the Forest Service is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the nation’s forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations.

Christian hughey

I'll try, I just don't have direct access to the bear data like I do the deer stuff. I'll check with the bear biologist and see what's going on. I bet harvest is way up, I hunted Chattahoochee and me and everyone I talked to saw bears.
Yeah had a real good year myself. Also just about everyone I know that bear hunts connected this year. Keep up the good work. Thanks

tree cutter 08

This has nothing to do with food plots and everything to do with a completely closed canopy forest. Fawning cover is likely the limiting factor.
what would you describe to be the best fawn cover? I myself feel like there's a ton of diversity in the mountains. There's lots of areas that's so thick you can't walk through in he summer that's been untouched for years. Some areas are closed canopy and more open woods without much cover but there's just as much areas that I feel do provide cover. Walking along the Appalachian trail you will see that closed canopy effect. Drop off 10 leads from the top over a few miles and there's tons of diversity and good cover. Let's go to hooch wma. Take Martin branch, trail ridge and look at it in the summer. Should be covered up with deer from controlled burns, logging and storm damage. I see just as many deer there as I do at cut locast gap to horse trough falls in the big mature woods. We have a predator problem. Our woods is capable of at least twice what we have now. If we never touch them again it should support at least double. The mountains will never have what flatlands has population wise. Cut the bears and the population will grow. Bears and yotes proves to much competition for the deer. Yotes are here to stay but reducing bear population would be a lot easier. Ask a poll of hunters state wide, or regionally what the focus should be on managing, bears or deer. I'd say overwhelming majority will say we have to many bears. We all know how many are complaining about lower deer. Problem I see with the bears, few has mentioned it in this thread is that most hunters are seeing bears but so few are shooting. I seen 27 last season and shot 1. We're letting to many bears walk. Just about everybody that lets a bear walk will blast a yote. We're headed in the right direction with removal of doe days but we need a spring season for bears.

Last edited: