matthew 27: 32-56

Matthew 27:32-56 King James Version (KJV)
32 And as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name: him they compelled to bear his cross.

33 And when they were come unto a place called Golgotha, that is to say, a place of a skull,

34 They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.

35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.

36 And sitting down they watched him there;

37 And set up over his head his accusation written, This Is Jesus The King Of The Jews.

38 Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left.

39 And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads,

40 And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.

41 Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said,

42 He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.

43 He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.

44 The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.

45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.

46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

47 Some of them that stood there, when they heard that, said, This man calleth for Elias.

48 And straightway one of them ran, and took a spunge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink.

49 The rest said, Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to save him.

50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

55 And many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him:

56 Among which was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joses, and the mother of Zebedees children.

BANDERSNATCH

Lots of fulfilled prophecy in there! Much of this means little to Christians who do not understand the "Lord's" feasts and week of Passover/Feast of Unleavened Bread/First Fruits. I used to think that Matthew 27:52,53 was 'embellishment', until I learned about those feasts

gordon 2

Lots of fulfilled prophecy in there! Much of this means little to Christians who do not understand the "Lord's" feasts and week of Passover/Feast of Unleavened Bread/First Fruits. I used to think that Matthew 27:52,53 was 'embellishment', until I learned about those feasts
Can you explain a bit more?How the feasts tie into the verses you indicate?

Israel

BANNED
The tradition of the door being left open for Elijah to appear?

BANDERSNATCH

Can you explain a bit more?How the feasts tie into the verses you indicate?

Would love to! For Gordon, and all who read this, keep it in mind as you celebrate Easter (I no longer celebrate Easter as there is just too much pagan stuff mixed in with it, but I do celebrate Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which are God's feasts) Anyway, i digress...

Let me explain these spring feasts to the best of my ability. For 1500 years before Jesus was born, the Israelites (if you are a Christian, you're an Isrealite in God's eyes, BTW, as you've been GRAFTED IN to His nation) BANDY, STOP GOING DOWN RABBIT TRAILS! LOL Sorry.. Anyway, for 1500 years BC the Israelites have been celebrating God's feasts, both spring and fall. In the spring, you have Passover, the Feast of Unleavened Bread, First Fruits, and Pentecost. Our Lord fulfilled these spring feasts, and will fulfill the fall feasts when He returns as King of the Earth! Wahooo!

For Passover, a lamb was brought into the home on the 10th of the first month, a perfect lamb, and kept in the home and examined for 4 days. It was then killed mid-afternoon, roasted, and eaten after sundown. Jesus fulfilled this by entering Jerusalem (I believe, and we can discuss this separately) on the Saturday - not Sunday - before Passover week. He came into Jerusalem on Saturday the 10th, was examined by the Priests, Pharisees, Saducees, Rulers, etc for 4 days, and was killed at the same time that the Passover lamb was killed in the temple; 3pm'ish on Wednesday. The next day, Thursday, was the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which WAS A HIGH SABBATH!!! We were never told growing up as Christians that there was ANOTHER sabbath during that week. A HIGH sabbath was a sabbath that is associated with a Feast, not the weekly Saturday sabbath. Jesus is in the grave Wednesday night, all day Thursday (sabbath) all day Friday (preparation day for weekly sabbath) and all day Saturday, rising somewhere around Saturday evening, fulfilling His 3 days/3 nights Jonah prophecy! He is DISCOVERED missing Sunday morning, but the tomb is already empty and guards have been gone, presumably to change their pants after what they witnessed! lol)

Another thing, Jesus tells Mary not to touch Him when she sees Him. Why would He do this when, later, He has Thomas reach out and touch His scars? It's because during this feast, the High Priest could not be touched, and would stay in seclusion, until the first Sunday that came during Unleaveneved Bread! On that Sunday, the Priest could not be touched until he walked over to the Mt of Olives and cut the previously marked barley, harvested it, and took it into the temple and presented it as a wave offering to God. The priest could not be touched until he did this. Jesus, our Heavenly high priest, also could not be touched until He took the first fruits offering (men) and presented them IN HEAVEN before God. I know this sounds strange but hear me out. It says in Matthew 27 that the graves were marked during Jesus cruicifixion, during the earthquake, and then these resurrected people were seen by many in Jerusalem AFTER JESUS RESURRECTION, 3 days after their graves were marked by the earthquake. I believe that they were not there long, as Jesus presented them as a First Fruit offering to God when He ascended, then when He returned, Thomas and anyone else could touch Him.

Isn't that amazing? Even if you disagree with the resurrected men part, you've got to admit that the way Jesus fulfills this feast is awesome!

REbuttal? Thoughts? Time for my coffee!

Last edited:

BANDERSNATCH

I wanted to add something that Paul says in 1 Corinthians. In I Corinthians 15:22-24, Paul tells us how many, and when, the resurrections will occur. Keep in mind that there were no commas in the original Greek, they have been added by translators to help with understanding. Many believe that 1 Corinthians 15:23 should read like this: But every man in his own order; Christ, the first fruits, afterward they that are Christ's at His coming

BTW, in verse 24 the word 'cometh' (in the KJV) is inserted. verse 24 is explaining that the last resurrection will be at the end when Christ delivers the kingdom to the Father. So, 1 Cor 15 could be listing the resurrections this way:

1) Jesus Christ
2) the First Fruits wave offering of men in Matthew 27
3) we who are His at His coming
4) all other men, at the end of the millenium

BANDERSNATCH

The tradition of the door being left open for Elijah to appear?

I'm not really sure about the door being left open and the extra chair placed at the table, as I'm not Jewish and they are 'tradition'....not scriptural. the only scriptural part about it is that it was prophecied that Elijah would return. if you remember, they asked John the Baptist if he was Elijah...

BANDERSNATCH

sorry, keep thinking of things I want to add :) coffee has me thinking...

Speaking of "Palm Sunday" and the 3 days/3 nights, I knew that Good Friday was a hoax, since Jesus was killed on Wednesday, but the frontend math had to work, too, the 4 days in the house. Palm Sunday didn't fit. Then I began researching it. The gospels do not say that Jesus entered Jerusalem on Sunday, although He may have possibly. The gospels say that Jesus "was in Bethany 6 days before the Passover" If you assume Jesus was killed on Good Friday, and the next day being the beginning of the Passover week (days begin at sundown for Jews) then doing the math backward Jesus is enters Jerusalem on Sunday. BUT, since there was an additional sabbath that week, and Jesus is kill on Wednesday, before the beginning of the Thursday Passover week, then Jesus would have been in Bethany on Friday, and entered Jerusalem on Saturday, not Sunday.