How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning

Chap

Well, I was taking my boy out bass fishing this afternoon after I left work, but I may have try and get him on some kitties now.

LittleDrummerBoy

They're biting at Lanier now. Probably most of N Ga too. Good time of year.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good video! I thought that's the way everybody already cleaned catfish? That's the only way I've ever done it except for those little squealers. When we run jugs, me and my buddy can fillet a couple hundred pounds of cats in a half-hour or so, including clean-up.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
That's how I fillet redfish. I use an electric knife.
My Nephews bought me one of those electric knives prolly 10 years ago. I've got one bud that uses his on everything, even small brim, bass and crappie right on up to the big-un's.

I can take or leave one. Push comes to shove, I'd take a good fillet knife. I have that exact same yellow sharpener as in the video.

I LOVE catfish. Probably my favorite fresh water fish to eat.

greg_n_clayton

I thought that's the way everybody already cleaned catfish? That's the only way I've ever done it except for those little squealers. When we run jugs, me and my buddy can fillet a couple hundred pounds of cats in a half-hour or so, including clean-up.
How do you do the other species ?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How do you do the other species ?

Of catfish? Blues are the same. Flatheads have a different rib structure. You have to fillet their backstraps from the top, almost like a deer. In 15 lb.+ catfish of any species, you also have that big chunk of belly meat. And cheek meat on the really bigguns.

greg_n_clayton

Of catfish? Blues are the same. Flatheads have a different rib structure. You have to fillet their backstraps from the top, almost like a deer. In 15 lb.+ catfish of any species, you also have that big chunk of belly meat. And cheek meat on the really bigguns.
I throw anythang 8 lbs or so back. I really like them what will fit in a 12" frying pan....whole !

greg_n_clayton

I have never caught one ! I have never seen one for that matter, other than pictures !

LTZ25

Nice video, I've been doing a good bit of cat fishing off my dock on Sinclair and have always caught Blue's but this week I was catching mostly channel cats , not very big but good eating size , are channel cats more likely tone caught in the spring ?

LittleDrummerBoy

Nice video, I've been doing a good bit of cat fishing off my dock on Sinclair and have always caught Blue's but this week I was catching mostly channel cats , not very big but good eating size , are channel cats more likely tone caught in the spring ?

Yes, spring is the best time of year for channel cats.

We used to rent a cabin on Lanier this time of year and caught lots of blues and channels from the dock. With a boat, we catch more channels and the occasional flathead. Not sure why. Cut blueback is our main bait - occasionally live ones or live bream.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We run jugs every year and get the freezer stocked with catfish. March, April, and early May are prime time. The catch starts tapering off dramatically about mid-May. We catch mostly channels with a few blues and a good many flatheads. We run baskets for the squealer channel cats, too. Late winter-early spring is the best time for those, seems like.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's excellent info about the trimming too. I skin mine deep, also. If there's any of that red, bloody layer under the skin left on the fillet, I trim it off. I also usually take that yellow fat and the red streak out of the middle, especially in bigger fillets. I agree that it makes a big difference in the flavor of the fish.

Chap

Do you ever cut the center red part out of the filet? I always do that with catfish. Does it make a difference to you guys?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Do you ever cut the center red part out of the filet? I always do that with catfish. Does it make a difference to you guys?
Yes, it makes a huge difference to my taste. I cut off everything that isn't white.