Fox in the backyard, need advice to remove

Tristan1687

Hi everyone,

I have a family of fox, mom and dad plus 5 pups, living in my backyard. They were fun at first but now they are a pain and I am worried they are going to uproot the tree they are living under. (see pic). The yard is fenced in and they dug under it.

I live in Sandy Springs and called a trapper. Got quoted for a few grand to remove them and they said it would take 2 weeks... I figured shooting them was cheaper but neighbors won't appreciate that. Don't necessarily want to trap them and deal with all that myself. Is there good fox repellent or something I could use and then seal the fence shut with some metal spikes once they are gone.

Any suggestions?

You all are the best!

unnamed.jpg

Any other suggestions?

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I sprinkled cayenne pepper to discourage my dog from digging when he was a pup. It helped.
I wonder if you poured it in their den would they leave?
Longshot, but it might work?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Gasoline in the den and they will be gone. Then fix fence and fill up den.

Yotedawg

Don't shoot them!! It's not fox season. Check with DNR and they may give you a permit. They may also either remove them or refer you to someone who will.

Rick Alexander

All that ivy growing up the trees and through the yard and you're worried about a family of foxes that'll be gone in a month? I don't get it. I had a family with 4 pups raised in my shed probably 10 years ago and they didn't hurt anyone. Since then I've never even seen a single one since they left. I'm sure they are around - I just don't see them. Heck I'd love to see them around occasionally. They definitely didn't come back to raise another set of pups. That ivy is a far bigger threat than a family of foxes IMHO.

All that ivy growing up the trees and through the yard and you're worried about a family of foxes that'll be gone in a month? I don't get it. I had a family with 4 pups raised in my shed probably 10 years ago and they didn't hurt anyone. Since then I've never even seen a single one since they left. I'm sure they are around - I just don't see them. Heck I'd love to see them around occasionally. They definitely didn't come back to raise another set of pups. That ivy is a far bigger threat than a family of foxes IMHO.

A family of foxes moved in under my shed a few years back. A call to TWRA was of no help or support, so I simply harrased them by chasing them off any time I saw them. My back yard butts up to a farm and as said above, about one month after seeing them initially they all disappeared, never to return.

Good luck, and I think if you use a bit of patience and simply yell or chase them whenever you see them outside they will leave. I also think a motion sensor light placed by their den will quicken their departure.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a pair that dens here every year. I just enjoy watching them. They aren't hurting a thing. People aren't the only critters living on the earth, we just sometimes act like we are.

j_seph

I have a pair that dens here every year. I just enjoy watching them. They aren't hurting a thing. People aren't the only critters living on the earth, we just sometimes act like we are.
My parents had seen one cross the yard at their house in the city. I went up there and walked the back lot and an awful screaming bark sound so thought that must be it. I sat my foxpro call in a flower bed, climbed up on a catalpa limb and turned it on. Within a minute here two of em came out. One would stalk up on overgrown flower bed, stand on hind feet and look while the other would stay back 15 or so yards and bark. Then they would change places and do it again. Had a ball watching and playing with them. I was up there working on camper from ladder one day and heard something and here they came around back of it at 10 yards or less heading home.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`d let em be. If you don`t have chickens they won`t be a bother to you. They`ll leave soon enough. Truth of the matter is they`ll provide you with a lot of free entertainment till they get big enough to be on their own. Enjoy the show.

Tristan1687

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Let me help clarify the situation a bit better.
I forgot sarcasm doesn't translate well online. The shooting comment was a joke.

I live on less than a quarter acre so their den takes up half the backyard. The den is only ten yards from back porch. We have let them be until now because they have been cute and fun to watch. I noticed the damage was getting worse to the yard etc, but I wanted the pups to grow up before doing something, to give them a better chance wherever they end up.

We brought out an arborist to check on the trees and we were told that the den is starting to uproot and go under two tall pine trees. If they were to fall they would likely fall on my house. And these trees are big would do catastrophic damage. Not ideal and hence why I reached out for help.

I have also called a wildlife consultant who quoted us an outrageous price.

I have been unable to find anything about disturbing dens to be illegal, so if someone happens to have that handy, let me know.

thanks again.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Let me help clarify the situation a bit better.
I forgot sarcasm doesn't translate well online. The shooting comment was a joke.

I live on less than a quarter acre so their den takes up half the backyard. The den is only ten yards from back porch. We have let them be until now because they have been cute and fun to watch. I noticed the damage was getting worse to the yard etc, but I wanted the pups to grow up before doing something, to give them a better chance wherever they end up.

We brought out an arborist to check on the trees and we were told that the den is starting to uproot and go under two tall pine trees. If they were to fall they would likely fall on my house. And these trees are big would do catastrophic damage. Not ideal and hence why I reached out for help.

I have also called a wildlife consultant who quoted us an outrageous price.

I have been unable to find anything about disturbing dens to be illegal, so if someone happens to have that handy, let me know.

thanks again.

27-1-30. Disturbing or destroying wildlife habitats

Except as otherwise provided by law or regulation, it shall be unlawful to disturb, mutilate, or destroy the dens, holes, or homes of any wildlife; to blind wildlife with lights; or to use explosives, chemicals, electrical or mechanical devices, or smokers of any kind in order to drive such wildlife out of such habitats, provided that this Code section shall not apply to poisonous snakes.

Plus If you do this at this point the fox will still be there just without a den.