June Trapping

Jake Allen

Hot weather trapping in Central West Ga. I only ran 7 sets, mostly pipe dream, (3/4" pvc pipe 12" tall with sheep's wool and scent), and 2 dirthole. Did real good with yote and bobcat urine, and yote gland. 2 sets caught after 10 days without being messed with. 3 males, 2 females. Set about Memorial Day and ran thru June. Save a few fawns for sure.june15.jpgjune3.jpgjune1.jpgjune 28.jpg

Last edited:

Mark K

Banned
Great job man! That’s some seriously good averages right there. This hot weather takes some serious want to, lol! You definitely saved a few fawns and turkeys as well! Nice foot catches too, love it when their toes are resting on the pan when tripped.

Mark K

Banned
Show me some chewed up pipes, lol! I generally get some chew marks, but I had one get seriously angry and ruined that sucker! He almost had it completely out of the ground. I beat them in with a 3lb hammer and only leave an inch or two up also. He was mad!!

Jake Allen

Nice job! You definitely saved a few fawns. Mind if I ask what county you are trapping?
North Schely County, just past the Taylor Cty Line. I also trap allot in Carroll

Jake Allen

Show me some chewed up pipes, lol! I generally get some chew marks, but I had one get seriously angry and ruined that sucker! He almost had it completely out of the ground. I beat them in with a 3lb hammer and only leave an inch or two up also. He was mad!!
I have a bucket full of em. I keep the chewed up pipes as kind of a trophy.
That pipe set is good. I catch almost 2 to 1 over dirtholes, all times of the year.

Jake Allen

Great job man! That’s some seriously good averages right there. This hot weather takes some serious want to, lol! You definitely saved a few fawns and turkeys as well! Nice foot catches too, love it when their toes are resting on the pan when tripped.
Thanks; like those front foot catches. The big male was the only backfoot catch. He was calm in the trap, and was dispatched from the truck window. Afraid he might pull out. I have has good luck with MB-550's for sure.

Jake Allen

This was the first time setting traps I dipped in a 50/50 mix of acetone and Red Oxide Metal Primer. It sure does hold up better than wax and dye. I could tell no difference in the smell.

blt152

This was the first time setting traps I dipped in a 50/50 mix of acetone and Red Oxide Metal Primer. It sure does hold up better than wax and dye. I could tell no difference in the smell.
I bought some Duke #2 Square Jaws and boiled them in water and Dawn degreaser. They turned a dark brown. Just waxed them and they're ready to go in the ground. Can't wait to see how they hold up.

Attachments

• 20190428_173907.jpg
    20190428_173907.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 10

Jake Allen

Apparently they couldn’t either...
I bought some Duke #2 Square Jaws and boiled them in water and Dawn degreaser. They turned a dark brown. Just waxed them and they're ready to go in the ground. Can't wait to see how they hold up.
Looks like a good finish. Dye and Wax has not been holding up well for me, especially with allot of rain.

furtaker

Thanks; like those front foot catches. The big male was the only backfoot catch. He was calm in the trap, and was dispatched from the truck window. Afraid he might pull out. I have has good luck with MB-550's for sure.
I once held a huge male (I think he was the alpha) by 3 toes on the back foot while he was lunging like crazy. Using an offset 550. Good traps for sure.

mossyoakpro

I'm going to try that!! I've been a wax and dye guy but this seems a bit easier and time friendly.