Dogging Bear Quota Hunt

Hillbilly stalker

There are obviously some serious misunderstandings and flat out untruths among the general public about bear hunting with dogs.

Obviously, most of you have never been around a Pocahontas Plott or any bear dogs. Gene Walker don’t put up with ill dogs, I’ve been in his living room 3 times with him and his wonderful wife Anne visiting and talking dogs. Not sure where you boys get your information but please stop fantasizing and maybe experience something before you condemn it.
nn0j0z.jpg

Menacing, aren’t they?
Never said a thing about them being ill, having grit is a whole different ball game. I'm sure I knew the dogs we hunted better than someone else who didn't. . My info comes from 1st hand experience in Logan, Boone and a handful of other counties....and I am a Walker. No fantasy's here brother.

Heath

Never said a thing about them being ill, having grit is a whole different ball game. I'm sure I knew the dogs we hunted better than someone else who didn't. . My info comes from 1st hand experience in Logan, Boone and a handful of other counties....and I am a Walker. No fantasy's here brother.

You are correct, ill and grit are 2 completely different things. If dogs jump on somebodies Fluffy they are dog mean. I wasn’t impressed much with my Pocahontas dogs grit and they weren’t dog mean either. People have this weird belief that bear dogs are mean or ruff or that they have to be if they are a bear dog. Not been my experience.

greg_n_clayton

You are correct, ill and grit are 2 completely different things. If dogs jump on somebodies Fluffy they are dog mean. I wasn’t impressed much with my Pocahontas dogs grit and they weren’t dog mean either. People have this weird belief that bear dogs are mean or ruff or that they have to be if they are a bear dog. Not been my experience.
A dog that is ill toward another dog don't stay in the yard long around here !

Hillbilly stalker

Y'all ain't never had a yard dog come to your tree and start some junk ?

Hillbilly stalker

The three of yall above seem to be real experts in the subject matter. When does the darn book come out? Yall got a better chance of hitting the broad side of a burnt barn than getting picked for the draw, and that ain't a good shot.
You an expert ? Why be sassy ? I ain't put in for the hunt but wish others well. We're just jawing.

Buckman18

You an expert ? Why be sassy ? I ain't put in for the hunt but wish others well. We're just jawing.

You must’ve read Joe’s post different than I did, I didn’t think he was being sassy? You non-resident posters are a rather sensitive bunch.

greg_n_clayton

I whave cancelled my application , so that should make you dog haters happy !

JN86

One thing I noticed on the bear harvest data is that most of the bear are killed outside of the WMA's and private land and there is a bear dog training season from August-1 up to archery season.

greg_n_clayton

One thing I noticed on the bear harvest data is that most of the bear are killed outside of the WMA's and private land and there is a bear dog training season from August-1 up to archery season.
Oook ! Not in Rabun County !

jbogg

Since the dog hunt is etched in stone I am curious as to how many bear you experienced dog guys expect to be taken on each of the two WMAs. I seems like if four pups tree two in one day then nine packs of experienced dogs should be able to Tree a bunch of bears over nine days. I’m guessing a lot of the smaller bears will get a pass, but what would you guess the final harvest will be. Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to determine if I should spend the time finding new hunting grounds. Also, I am not a deer hunter that hates dogs. I am a bear hunter who’s only issue was the timing of the hunt. Now that it’s a done deal I will try to make the best of it.

greg_n_clayton

Most bears shot on wma have bird shot in there butt don't believe me ask anybody that has worked one up or had one worked up
Proably running them off from a bird feeder or a trash can !! Do you have any idea how far they travel sir ?? Pffffft. They travel miles !!