Luck in FL WMA's?

krizia829

Anyone here ever hunted in any of the FL WMA's and had some luck? Some nice bucks have already been taken last weekend! I have a Muzzleloader permit coming up Sep 7 and General Gun Oct 12! I am so excited! Last year, I had a chance at a nice little 8 pt at 20 yards but my arrow hit a branch and deflected -.- then 45 min later, a larger 8 was across a canal at 57 yards and I hit him and followed a nice blood trail but no luck finding him.. Didn't give him enough time to pass.. FL hunting is hard but very rewarding! Our bucks here in South FL are not as big as GA but they sure are pretty!

TBG

Grew up in S. FL. shot a handful of pigs on WMAs, saw lots of deer, had a shot a couple but never closed the deal down there. What WMAs are you hunting?

swamp hunter

I shot one or 2 every year..so did my Hunting Pards.
That was before Panthers got out of control.
Big Cypress areas.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I had good luck hunting The Scrubs for a couple of years back in the mid 70s. Turkeys and deer.

krizia829

Grew up in S. FL. shot a handful of pigs on WMAs, saw lots of deer, had a shot a couple but never closed the deal down there. What WMAs are you hunting?
I have both muzzleloader and general gun at Picayune Strand. Got those on the redraws. Dinner Island is my favorite but didn't get it this year

swamp hunter

Here's one I found in Dinner Island.
Last time I hunted there I had a Panther at 10 ft.
Walked him up in one of the ponds. He was laying in a trail in the tall grasses and his tail was sticking way out in my trail.
I was Defcon 1 with the Browning Auto 5.dinner island ranch 004.jpgdinner island ranch 003.jpg

Lilly001

I hunted Ocala forest for about 20 years.
Lots of deer, and bear.
Never connected, but that was usualy my fault.
Very pretty area.
And you haven't lived until a big bear tries to climb your ladder stand to get with you.
Good times.:cheers:

alonghi85

I hunt ocala national forest every year and have since I was old enough to walk. Do better then average most years....myself and my brother own 5 acres in one of the better wma in Florida and its loaded with deer and turkeys

swamp hunter

I don't to Trigger you so he was Multicolored..like a dang Rainbow...ok..

krizia829

Here's one I found in Dinner Island.
Last time I hunted there I had a Panther at 10 ft.
Walked him up in one of the ponds. He was laying in a trail in the tall grasses and his tail was sticking way out in my trail.
I was Defcon 1 with the Browning Auto 5.View attachment 978954View attachment 978955
Wow what a great buck! You think he was a buck someone shot and never found? Or you think he died of natural cause?

krizia829

There is absolutely no way to know with just antlers
obviously........ hence why I asked what he thought. The regulars that go to that WMA can tell where people are hunting and know all the hot spots. I don't know if this buck was found in one of those areas or very far in where very few go

krizia829

Hunted Dinner Island last year saw alot does no bucks. Draw Dupruis this year. Good luck.

I was at Dinner Island last year for Archery. Had two chances at two 8 pt bucks. First one I saw I missed and the second one, 45 min later, I hit but never found him. Good blood trail but we searched too soon and pushed him away.. Lesson learned! I got Picayune for muzzleloader and general gun this year. Some bucks have already been taken there this past weekend! Nothing big but they're moving

Gumpbuck

I hunt in Croom WMA. Good for deer, but not many hogs. Good for turkey, but hard to get the permit. I shoot what's legal in there, but have a nice 10 point and an 8 point from there. The area is used by hikers and horseback riders. Also has a large motorcycle area. I think it's easier to hunt because the deer are used to humans more so than other areas. It's not a lock, but I have shot deer within minutes of a hiker passing my stand. Still have to scout and hunt, but I feel I get away with being winded a lot and still have success.

Last edited:

krizia829

I hunt in Croom WMA. Good for deer, but not many hogs. Good for turkey, but hard to get the permit. I shoot what's legal in there, but have a nice 10 point and an 8 point from there. The area is used by hikers and horseback riders. Also has a large motorcycle area. I think it's easier to hunt because the deer are used to humans more so than other areas. It's not a lock, but I have shot deer within minutes of a hiker passing my stand. Still have to scout and hunt, but I feel I get away with being winded a lot and still have success.
Awesome! That's like in Dinner Island. Sometimes you'll have the deer running right next to your car. Photographers go often throughout the year there too so at times they're used to people but sometimes it's hard to get close. It's all part of the hunt. Sometimes you get them and sometimes you don't