A First for me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Doing good, still have some swelling in hand but that's about all. Thanks for checking in. Hope to see you on a traditional hunt soon.
Glad to hear that you're getting better!

Al33

Dang!!, I just read this.:oops: Glad you are on the mends David and hate you had to deal with it. Thanks for sharing to remind the rest of us how easily it can happen. Truth is it's amazing it doesn't happen to more of us. God bless!!

oldfella1962

I’m sorry it happened, but glad that you are going to be OK. Thanks for sharing your story, as it is a good reminder. I wear snake boots religiously, but we need to be conscious of what is around before we pick something up, or lay something on the ground.

uh oh! I hunt on the ground, often on my knees for pretty long periods. My snake proof boots won't give the rest of my body much protection. Good thing I'm hunting adjacent to Augusta if they are equipped for snake bite treatment.
Indeed you stayed calm, cool & collected just like we are "supposed to" when this happens. I sure hope I could do the same! Hopefully you heal up soon and the medical bill doesn't KO you when you see it.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Fellas, this is a good reminder to do a little advance planning for medical emergencies. All of us should know where the closest hospital is (and where the closest one is that can handle snake bites) to our hunting lands. In my professional world, we always work in unknown or out of the way places. We prepare 'health & safety plans' that have emergency numbers and a map to the hospital. We keep a copy on the dashboard of the truck, and in the job trailer, if we have one on site.

Following this queue, we have a map to the nearest hospital tacked to the wall of our hunting cabin (although not with anything related to nearest anti-venom, so we need to update ours).

Along with this, many of our hunting camps are outside of cell service, so knowing where to go to get a cell signal can also be a lifesaver.

Take a minute, look it up, print it out and stick it to the wall of your cabin or put it in the glovebox. Might save you some precious minutes in a time of need.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I just found out yesterday that an Uncle of mine from Oak Park died from a diamondback rattlesnake bite in 1953. He had just graduated high school the year before, and was hunting when he got bit. A belt was wrapped around his leg and they got him to the hospital as quick as they could. I was told that he suffered in agony for a week before the bite and gangrene killed him. The fang marks were measured at an inch and a half apart. That`s a big snake.

nrh0011

Prayers for a speedy recovery. Sounds like you were able to get out of the woods and into care fairly quick. One of my worst fears while turkey hunting is being bitten miles away from my transportation or a road of any sort.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Fellas, this is a good reminder to do a little advance planning for medical emergencies. All of us should know where the closest hospital is (and where the closest one is that can handle snake bites) to our hunting lands. In my professional world, we always work in unknown or out of the way places. We prepare 'health & safety plans' that have emergency numbers and a map to the hospital. We keep a copy on the dashboard of the truck, and in the job trailer, if we have one on site.

Following this queue, we have a map to the nearest hospital tacked to the wall of our hunting cabin (although not with anything related to nearest anti-venom, so we need to update ours).

Along with this, many of our hunting camps are outside of cell service, so knowing where to go to get a cell signal can also be a lifesaver.

Take a minute, look it up, print it out and stick it to the wall of your cabin or put it in the glovebox. Might save you some precious minutes in a time of need.
I know where you are hunting this weekend and there are more rattlesnakes on that ground than I have ever seen. Chopped many up over the years with a bushhog.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Glad you are better. I have been told that the hospitals at Greensboro and Eatonton are equipped for snake bite treatment also.
Which side of Wilkes are you on?

dwhee87

I know where you are hunting this weekend and there are more rattlesnakes on that ground than I have ever seen. Chopped many up over the years with a bushhog.

I've killed two down there over the years. One was as big around as my forearm, and hung over both sides of my tailgate.

That one was tasty.

bowhunterdavid

Glad you are better. I have been told that the hospitals at Greensboro and Eatonton are equipped for snake bite treatment also.

I am on the western side on the Taliaferro county line. Greensboro would have been much closer, but the EMS at Washington said Doctors Hospital in Augusta was were i needed to go get Antivenom and it was 45 minutes away. I need to check around and see if any other Hospitals closer have it. I have to admit i'm pretty gun shy now were i take my next step are lay something on the ground. Everything on the ground looks like a snake to me now.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I am on the western side on the Taliaferro county line. Greensboro would have been much closer, but the EMS at Washington said Doctors Hospital in Augusta was were i needed to go get Antivenom and it was 45 minutes away. I need to check around and see if any other Hospitals closer have it. I have to admit i'm pretty gun shy now were i take my next step are lay something on the ground. Everything on the ground looks like a snake to me now.

I have property in Taliaferro north of Hwy 44. Probably close to your location. Have hunted it since 88. We have only seen 2 rattle snakes in all those years.

bowhunterdavid

I have property in Taliaferro north of Hwy 44. Probably close to your location. Have hunted it since 88. We have only seen 2 rattle snakes in all those years.
We are at the corner of highway 22 and highway 44 four way stop sign. about a mile of highway 44 going back toward Washington. Land owner says he sees them all the time. I have been there 9 years and this was the first one i have seen, and hope the last.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I sent an email to St Mary’s Hospital at Greensboro asking if they are equipped to treat snake bite. They are equipped. The image is a screenshot of their reply.681EC209-FE0E-4419-AB26-BBD2C9F74BED.png

dwhee87

We are at the corner of highway 22 and highway 44 four way stop sign. about a mile of highway 44 going back toward Washington. Land owner says he sees them all the time. I have been there 9 years and this was the first one i have seen, and hope the last.
I hunt north of AH Stephens Park a couple miles, just off 22
We're all close by. Seen 2 and killed them both in 8 yrs hunting here. Glad to know G'boro is equipped.

bowhunterdavid

Thanks Milkman that's good to know. I wonder why Washington EMS said i had to go to Augusta? They might have some ties with them i guess. That would have been so much closer for me and my and a much closer drive for my wife on that Saturday morning.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Milkman that's good to know. I wonder why Washington EMS said i had to go to Augusta? They might have some ties with them i guess. That would have been so much closer for me and my and a much closer drive for my wife on that Saturday morning.

It may be due to their Trauma Center rating. I think they are top notch in stuff like severe injuries and burns.