2019 Oglethorpe County

Buford_Dawg

Andy Nimmons has done my last couple of skull mounts, does a nice job. Great mount there Todd, if I get lucky and get one this year, I may hit you up, that is neat.

Buford_Dawg

Farmlogs showing .25 inches in rain in Sandy Cross and .27 inches at BCR area in last 24 hours. Looks like we hit it just right with our foodplots last weekend. Still some light rain down that way for couple more hours, so that may increase a little. Then 40 degree weather for Friday and Saturday should have the deer on their feet. Gonna be a good rifle opener.

jbird1

Checking the older young gun out of school around Noon on Friday. He'll be following me up in his own truck for the first time since he turned 16 a year ago...where o where does the time go? He started climbing trees last year and he's ready to gut his own deer this year. It's almost like Christmas eve for him and his other young gun contemporaries that'll be joining him on the Hilltop for the rifle opener.

It appears I'll be packing the wet weather camping package for this weekend. The forecast went from pushing the moisture past the weekend to bringing it closer. I even heard the weather gal mention a possible "tropical moisture" type of development this AM. I'm gonna run with the 40-60% scattered overnight Saturday happy thoughts.

Good hunting to all you fellow OC hunters this weekend. As always, I look forward to the report!

transfixer

Checking the older young gun out of school around Noon on Friday. He'll be following me up in his own truck for the first time since he turned 16 a year ago...where o where does the time go? He started climbing trees last year and he's ready to gut his own deer this year. It's almost like Christmas eve for him and his other young gun contemporaries that'll be joining him on the Hilltop for the rifle opener.

That brings back memories of when my youngest step son went with me , he started hunting with me when he was 15, and got his first doe that year, the next year he drove his own truck and followed me down, hunted out of a climber , and away from me, previously I was always close by, he was over the moon excited! Good Memories ,,,,

I haven't looked at the weather today, but hopefully daytime rain will be to a minimum, but I've got a couple places to hunt even if it doesn't , my tower stand has a roof on it, and I put a blind up last weekend, I'm actually looking forward to the ground being wet , it'll make it easier to tell where they are currently moving around at. the ground has been so hard its impossible to tell what tracks are old or what are recent.

I believe it will be a good opening weekend, and we haven't had one of those in a while !

jbird1

That brings back memories of when my youngest step son went with me , he started hunting with me when he was 15, and got his first doe that year, the next year he drove his own truck and followed me down, hunted out of a climber , and away from me, previously I was always close by, he was over the moon excited! Good Memories ,,,,

I haven't looked at the weather today, but hopefully daytime rain will be to a minimum, but I've got a couple places to hunt even if it doesn't , my tower stand has a roof on it, and I put a blind up last weekend, I'm actually looking forward to the ground being wet , it'll make it easier to tell where they are currently moving around at. the ground has been so hard its impossible to tell what tracks are old or what are recent.

I believe it will be a good opening weekend, and we haven't had one of those in a while !

Yessir! Hard to go wrong no matter...just be thankful to be out there for one more season. We added a couple of boxes this year so there may be a spot or two to crawl into if it gets too rough. And of course the fire bucket can be an entertaining hunt as well.:bounce:

Triple C

It appears I'll be packing the wet weather camping package for this weekend. The forecast went from pushing the moisture past the weekend to bringing it closer. I even heard the weather gal mention a possible "tropical moisture" type of development this AM. I'm gonna run with the 40-60% scattered overnight Saturday happy thoughts.

Good hunting to all you fellow OC hunters this weekend. As always, I look forward to the report!
jbird - Every dad that raised young un's in the outdoors can relate to your story. Brings back great memories for me, particularly the very 1st time I let them do their own sit. Wonderful times for sure. I'm now reliving that experience through grandsons.

Buford_Dawg

Yes, they grow up fast on us. I have been posting on here a long time, since my oldest who is now 23 started hunting with me at the age of 5. Jbird, continue to enjoy the ride, it is great. I hope he kills the biggest buck in OC this Saturday. My youngest (18 now) will be with me this weekend, he will drive over from Athens Friday after classes. He also started when he was 5 or 6, can't remember now. He now chaffeurs me to the club and we go our separate ways and enjoying texting each other thru the hunt what we are or are not seeing. The oldest has entered the working world and will not be joining us, first time he will not be with us on opening day since he started hunting I believe. Somewhat sad, but understand sometimes there are much bigger priorities. Good luck fellow OC's this weekend and thru the season, I am going down tomorrow afternoon after work to get in a couple of ML hunts on Friday. Would like to pull the trigger on the ML if a nice one walks out.

jbird1

jbird - Every dad that raised young un's in the outdoors can relate to your story. Brings back great memories for me, particularly the very 1st time I let them do their own sit. Wonderful times for sure. I'm now reliving that experience through grandsons.

A wise man once told me when I was kid and just starting out hunting, "One day, teach your kid how to hunt, and you won't have to hunt your kid." I take great pride in passing along the outdoors traditions. I hope that like you, God willing, I'll make it to the bonus round.

jbird1

Yes, they grow up fast on us. I have been posting on here a long time, since my oldest who is now 23 started hunting with me at the age of 5. Jbird, continue to enjoy the ride, it is great. I hope he kills the biggest buck in OC this Saturday. My youngest (18 now) will be with me this weekend, he will drive over from Athens Friday after classes. He also started when he was 5 or 6, can't remember now. He now chaffeurs me to the club and we go our separate ways and enjoying texting each other thru the hunt what we are or are not seeing. The oldest has entered the working world and will not be joining us, first time he will not be with us on opening day since he started hunting I believe. Somewhat sad, but understand sometimes there are much bigger priorities. Good luck fellow OC's this weekend and thru the season, I am going down tomorrow afternoon after work to get in a couple of ML hunts on Friday. Would like to pull the trigger on the ML if a nice one walks out.

Appreciate the well wishes. He's on a much faster track than I was as far as killing the good-uns. He has his sights set on Athens as well...largely due to the proximity of the OC. In the early to mid 90's, I was that UGA kid coming out after classes (and sometimes during...shhhhhh...haha.) I've got one more buckeroo (10 yr old) that wants to be just like his big brother so I take him to the stand with me for now. Yes, the work thing puts a twist on things but they'll find YOU when they break free...at least that's what I'm banking on. Sounds like you've done a great job with them.. Congrats!!...and GO DAWGS!

Duff

Crap Brandon! That’s a brute!