Did Jesus claim to be the messiah?

atlashunter

I seem to remember passages where he hints at it but I don’t recall him coming right out and claiming it.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I'd like to know where he commanded or even asked anyone to worship him and start a new religion that was not Judaism.

j_seph

Some scripture for thought
Matthew 26:63-64
63 But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
Matthew 16:15-17
15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

John 8:58
58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

1gr8bldr

Regarding the woman at the well, Notice that he says, God is spirit. Not that I am God.

Artfuldodger

Some scripture for thought
Matthew 26:63-64
63 But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
Matthew 16:15-17
15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

John 8:58
58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

It was the Father(Spirit) that revealed to Peter that Jesus was the Son. Jesus(flesh & blood) didn't reveal to Peter that Jesus was the Son.

1gr8bldr

Jesus over and over assumed the implication that he was the messiah without denying it so or claiming it. "When the messiah comes, will he do greater miracles than this?" In other words, the scriptures pointed to a prophet likened to Moses. " "This is how they will know I sent you".

atlashunter

Jesus over and over assumed the implication that he was the messiah without denying it so or claiming it. "When the messiah comes, will he do greater miracles than this?" In other words, the scriptures pointed to a prophet likened to Moses. " "This is how they will know I sent you".

I see the hints at it in the gospels (assuming they are credible for the sake of argument). In a time when the Jews were expecting a messiah, someone who would be in a position of great power, it’s to be expected that people would lay claim to being that guy. They are doing it to this day. It’s not clear to me that he was that bold as to come right out and lay claim to it.

1gr8bldr

I see the hints at it in the gospels (assuming they are credible for the sake of argument). In a time when the Jews were expecting a messiah, someone who would be in a position of great power, it’s to be expected that people would lay claim to being that guy. They are doing it to this day. It’s not clear to me that he was that bold as to come right out and lay claim to it.
There is a reason for not making big claims. Anybody could claim it, but Jesus said believe based on the works/miracles I do. Lots of verses on this. Pointing again to Moses

atlashunter

I guess what I’m wondering is if he wasn’t claiming to be the messiah then what was it about him that threatened the Jewish ruling class to the point of wanting him dead? And if he was claiming to be the messiah more openly why do the scriptures have him beating around the bush about it? I think it’s fair to say that whether he was or wasn’t, to most Jews he didn’t fit their expectation based on their understanding of the prophecies, especially once he was executed.

Artfuldodger

I guess what I’m wondering is if he wasn’t claiming to be the messiah then what was it about him that threatened the Jewish ruling class to the point of wanting him dead? And if he was claiming to be the messiah more openly why do the scriptures have him beating around the bush about it? I think it’s fair to say that whether he was or wasn’t, to most Jews he didn’t fit their expectation based on their understanding of the prophecies, especially once he was executed.
Maybe the Jews were set up. They were blinded, not to see. Then salvation could go to those who were the real Jews.

1gr8bldr

He offended the self righteous. The Jews of that day had lived their lives trying to please God. Now someone offends them by implying that they were not pleasing God. This is an understatement. He was highly offensive. Even worse to those who took pride in their accomplishments and notoriety of being a religious hero or the face of righteous. Ever wondered why people "went to the dessert to see John the Baptist". Not that John came to them, but rather they went to him?. Because common people after doing an assessment of their lives, said to themselves, I can't live up to the standards the religious elite display, thus what will I do?. They had heard about one in the dessert preaching forgiveness of sins, and flocked to him. My brother n law, once told me, I can't live up to that, implying he was not able to give up what he assumed was holding him back. Perfect candidate. Yet Paul, one of those religious elite, also a perfect candidate. Why, because in view of Jesus, rather than his fellow elite, he became aware... that he could not live up to the standard. Thus, all his works, figuratively, stone [building blocks like brick], one by one making a building for god to live in, he tore down, becoming rubble, that he could say, by the grace of God, i am what I am, [not by my self discipline]. As Stephen said, God does not live in houses made by man. And as Jesus said, not one stone will be left standing

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.

Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;

Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered

atlashunter

The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.

Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.

That’s what I was looking for.

Artfuldodger

I wonder if Scripture ever revealed the Messiah would be the Son of God? So even if Jesus told the Jews he was the Son of God, did that necessarily mean he was the Messiah?

Many verses after Jesus has revealed he was the Son and many verses before revealed a Messiah was coming. I'm not sure anyone was aware that the Messiah would be the Son.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I wonder if Scripture ever revealed the Messiah would be the Son of God? So even if Jesus told the Jews he was the Son of God, did that necessarily mean he was the Messiah?

Many verses after Jesus has revealed he was the Son and many verses before revealed a Messiah was coming. I'm not sure anyone was aware that the Messiah would be the Son.
http://www.jewfaq.org/m/mashiach.htm