Some really cool pics of bull reds

Jimmy Lee Armel

It has been a great November!!! So much to be thankful for everyday! Enjoy your family time this week! The weather looks gorgous. Y'all know where I will be eveyday. God Bless ?????

Attachments

• 20191124_115256.jpg
    20191124_115256.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 20191124_115348.jpg
    20191124_115348.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 20191124_115414.jpg
    20191124_115414.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 155
  • GH010047_1574612106723_high.jpg
    GH010047_1574612106723_high.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 155

LittleDrummerBoy

Not the OP, but I catch lots of bull reds.

Our favored hook is a Gamakatsu Octopus Size 7/0 J hook.

Lower stress landings are best done quickly and without ever removing them from the water. Heavier tackle helps bring them in quickly. Don't net them or hold them up for pictures. Just reach down and get the hook out quickly.

Jimmy Lee Armel

Cool pictures.

What kind of hooks do you use?

Got any tips for landing them without stressing em out too much?

Just a 5/0 circle hook on a single drop rig. I net them with a large net (I use a Cuda) to spread their weight out, lay the net immediatley on the deck, pop the hook out, take a quick pic (have a camera prepped during the fight), and when releasimg, hold them by the tail and swim them ack and forth(not nose to tail, but how it swims) when they kick, they are ready to release. I have never lost a redfish like this. Watch a youtube video on the release. ?????

boatbuilder

Just a 5/0 circle hook on a single drop rig. I net them with a large net (I use a Cuda) to spread their weight out, lay the net immediatley on the deck, pop the hook out, take a quick pic (have a camera prepped during the fight), and when releasimg, hold them by the tail and swim them ack and forth(not nose to tail, but how it swims) when they kick, they are ready to release. I have never lost a redfish like this. Watch a youtube video on the release. ?????

I need to get a big net.

LittleDrummerBoy

I need to get a big net.

Yes you do for bull reds.

The method Jimmy described is pretty much how we did it when tagging for LDWF, except we'd insert the tag instead of taking a picture.

I have had a few nets break on me before. I took the netting part of the last net I broke, and I welded up my own net frame for my current net. Got tired of bending and breaking nets. :D
Well if you pick up you fish like you do in that picture. almost all nets will break. you net the fish, turn it up right and pull it straight up into the boat.

lonewolf247

Well if you pick up you fish like you do in that picture. almost all nets will break. you net the fish, turn it up right and pull it straight up into the boat.

In an ideal situation, I guess we could all net the fish in a perfect fashion. However, usually when I fish, I’m the only adult in the boat, and I’m fishing with my son, and his teen friends. Many of them, have very little fishing experience, so often, we have someone with big fish on the line, or on the net with minimal experience. When I fish, we all get to play, so everyone gets to reel in a big fish, and everyone gets a chance on the net. Last year on one particular trip, we had myself, and 4 teens in the boat. I had a lucky day, and I hooked 3 bull reds, and 2 bull drum, and only one other fish was hooked by them. So I handed off my line to the teens each time to reel in a fish, and I ended up landing none. So either I was being generous, or slick enough to let them fight the grunt of the big fish, lol. So instead everyone had a blast, including myself.

Many times it’s a timing thing to net the fish soon as possible, or tire him out more, but risk him getting under the boat. With multiple people netting the fish, I have been thru a few nets.

The magic of my current net is you can net them however you like, and no worries. It’s one less thing, that I have worry about now. Thanks for the pointers and the critique....

My son with a nice red.

Attachments

• F40500F9-C491-4A08-BCE6-766A63DB29C6.jpeg
    F40500F9-C491-4A08-BCE6-766A63DB29C6.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 22