People or Pet names for dogs?

oops1

Buzzard Expert
What names do you use for your pets? We’re a dog family and I always name my dogs dog names. My wife.. on the other hand just named her new pup Paisley. While I like my dogs better than some people.. it’s still a dog .What do y’all name em?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I grew up coon hunting, so I've had more dogs than your average person, but they all had pet names: Leo, King, Rock, Spud, Daisy, Champ, Cowboy, Trapper to name a few. Pap had one named Buttermilk.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I grew up coon hunting, so I've had more dogs than your average person, but they all had pet names: Leo, King, Rock, Spud, Daisy, Champ, Cowboy, Trapper to name a few. Pap had one named Buttermilk.
Same here. A few that come to mind offhand are Preacher, Pete, Sue, Blue, Hank, Ann, Dan, Belle, Sadie, and Rowdy. Never really thought about what kind of names the were. One of the best bear hounds I’ve ever been in the woods with was named Squirt. A guy I used to hunt with had a big, mean, ill Plott that he named Hitler.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
My wife named our most recent addition, a Maletse, Dani,. I told her to wait a couple of days and the dog would probably pick an appropriate name. A couple of hours later in true Maltese fashion she went from zero to 100 dashing across the floor to the sofa where my wife was. I said, "Boogie, Boogie, Boogie" in imitation of her gate across the floor.

As soon as I said it she looked at me and boogied from the sofa to my lap in the recliner. I told my wife to call her using "Boogie, Boogie, Boogie". She ran immediately to my wife. I was able to call her back to me again the same way.

Now she responds vigirously to Boogie, Boogie, Boogie, but only leisurely to Boogie or Boogie, Boogie. :rofl::rofl:

Sometimes you just gotta let them name themselves.

zedex

Gator Bait
I named one beagle "Kidty" (pronounced as kitty) and another "Katfische" ( pronounced as catfish). KatFische was more commonly known as Junior. He went everywhere I went.

Another dog was named "ToeJam". He was always under foot.

I gave another dog a name I cant post here. It ain't forum or kid friendly but it sure was a funny name

madsam

We name our animals after country music legends. Cash - my favorite dog of
all dogs. He's in doggy heaven. Latest is Waylon- he's growing on me.I do have
a rooster who lives in the woods that we named Cogburn.