Fruit Cake in the oven

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Looks delicious.

My cousin and I finished up the family tradition yesterday. We get together and make 4 batches of cake and one batch of cookies. We use fruit and nuts that are more finely diced for the cookies. We use loaf pans since we divide it up between all of our cousins that want some and a very few good family friends.

The fruit soaks in Bourbon and Brandy for at least a week prior to the making. I pity the poor folks who have never had a good homemade fruitcake.

wvdawg

Staff member
Nice! Tis the season!

AugustaDawg

Looks good! If I had to choose between fruit cake and a Bishop's cake, it would be Bishop's cake all day long!! It's amazing what a handful of chocolate chips will do.

atlashunter

I'm surprised to see so many here that like fruit cake. In my family they were always used as door stops.

Tom W.

We bought a few when we went on a cruise to the Bahamas. They had more rum than cake. My MIL got drunk from one slice......

I thought I saw the same brand in a T.J. Max store a year or so ago.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Briar,we still cook and eat fruitcake and enjoy it very much. Something about it triggers a memory of times past. My mother used to put peach brandy on her fruitcake. In recent years my wife makes fruitcake squares also, they are very good as well. Heres wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas.

BriarPatch99

Briar,we still cook and eat fruitcake and enjoy it very much. Something about it triggers a memory of times past. My mother used to put peach brandy on her fruitcake. In recent years my wife makes fruitcake squares also, they are very good as well. Heres wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas.

My Mother would cook a "White" fruit cake .....kind of like a Pound cake with fruit mixed in(smaller amount of fruit) ....it was not as sweet as Grandma's ..... no rum on the "White" fruit either ....

My Wife's family always did fruit cake cookies ....they too were good!

Grandma's cake is allowed to mellow out ...supposed to allow it three weeks and several doses of rum or brandy over that period. Most the time it does not survive three weeks before being attacked. I feel real sorry for those pitiful souls who didn't get the pleasures of good cooking ....like GOOD fruit cakes!

Merry Christmas to all my fellow GON members !!!!