2019 Oglethorpe County

Triple C

Congrats Brandon on a late season buck! Oconee will produce some huge bucks in the next 10 years. More and more folks moving there which means less and less hunting pressure. We moved there in 1983 and spent 23 years there. All the kids grew up there when it was a relatively small, sleepy, agricultural community. We lived on 13 acres near Lane Creek golf course when it was in cotton fields. Could have bought the adjoining 20 acres around 1986 for $1,500 an acre. Imagine that. 2 of our 3 children and their families still live there. And this time next year, good Lord willing, we will be celebrating Christmas in our last home in the Flat Rock Rd area. Bout 2 weeks from breaking ground. Looking forward to spending time between OC and OC in the coming years.

Arrow3

Congrats Brandon on a late season buck! Oconee will produce some huge bucks in the next 10 years. More and more folks moving there which means less and less hunting pressure. We moved there in 1983 and spent 23 years there. All the kids grew up there when it was a relatively small, sleepy, agricultural community. We lived on 13 acres near Lane Creek golf course when it was in cotton fields. Could have bought the adjoining 20 acres around 1986 for $1,500 an acre. Imagine that. 2 of our 3 children and their families still live there. And this time next year, good Lord willing, we will be celebrating Christmas in our last home in the Flat Rock Rd area. Bout 2 weeks from breaking ground. Looking forward to spending time between OC and OC in the coming years.

Mr. C that's real close to where my land is over there. I've got about 60 acres to hunt off of Cole Springs rd just above the golf course.

Triple C

Mr. C that's real close to where my land is over there. I've got about 60 acres to hunt off of Cole Springs rd just above the golf course.
Just proves it's a small, small world. We lived on Lane Creek Rd which runs into Cole Springs. Can't wait to call Flat Rock home. But my huntin' heart will always be in Oglethorpe and still plan on spending a whole bunch of time at the farm.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Pretty good day in OC today. Went down to kill a couple of does and saw nothing but bucks this morning. I did kill a coyote. Went to another friends farm this afternoon (also in OC)and seen a lot of deer. Mostly bucks and I was on doe duty. Seen some does but didn't pull the trigger, most of them looked a little small and it was getting late. I definitely didn't want to make a mistake and shoot a small buck on my buddy's place so I just watched

Buford_Dawg

Been down since Thursday. Seen a few deer thru my sits. Trying to kill a hog. They showing up on my cameras consistent. And during daylight hours. Just hadn’t been in the right stand. I was able to bust a yote one afternoon. We had several sightings of bucks following does the last 3 days. The does being followed / chased are small. Thinking this years does.

Attachments

• D3B9B80D-A3BD-47B0-8F2B-E37B0F20EC80.jpeg
    D3B9B80D-A3BD-47B0-8F2B-E37B0F20EC80.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 9

Triple C

Been down since Thursday. Seen a few deer thru my sits. Trying to kill a hog. They showing up on my cameras consistent. And during daylight hours. Just hadn’t been in the right stand. I was able to bust a yote one afternoon. We had several sightings of bucks following does the last 3 days. The does being followed / chased are small. Thinking this years does.
BD...Doesn't seem right to have to carry a Thermacell to the stand in late December...Crazy temps today!

Buford_Dawg

BD...Doesn't seem right to have to carry a Thermacell to the stand in late December...Crazy temps today!
Was swatting mosquitos yesterday evening and this morning :) Decided to pack up and head home late this afternoon, misting rain and calling for more rain overnight and into the morning with high winds. Was a good 3.5 day weekend.

Last edited:

Buford_Dawg

Deployed a new feeder and Spypoint cell camera when I went down this last trip, Xmas gifts. Deer found it same night I put it out. Got a kick out of these pictures, this old doe knows how to get her corn when the feeder is not broadcasting ;)

Attachments

• Image-1 (1).jpg
    Image-1 (1).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Image-1 (2).jpg
    Image-1 (2).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 19

Triple C

Deployed a new feeder and Spypoint cell camera when I went down this last trip, Xmas gifts. Deer found it same night I put it out. Got a kick out of these pictures, this old doe knows how to get her corn when the feeder is not broadcasting ;)
I'm gonna have to break down and buy me a cell camera one of these days. Been looking at the Cuddeback Cuddelink setup but holy cow...hate to dish out that kind of money for pictures. Oddly enough, sometimes I long for the days of not knowing what's out there and letting them be a surprise when you see em. But...doubt I ever go back to that. For now, it's still old school pulling cards.

transfixer

We've got a feeder like that not far from camp, went to fill it up about mid season and discovered the batteries were dead, we didn't have any new ones, filled it up anyway, when we came back the next weekend it was empty ,, ? We were scratching our heads wondering how that could be, until we looked at the trail cam pictures, and saw a momma doe doing the same thing, constantly bumping it to get the corn to fall out, she emptied the whole thing over a weeks time.

jbird1

I'm gonna have to break down and buy me a cell camera one of these days. Been looking at the Cuddeback Cuddelink setup but holy cow...hate to dish out that kind of money for pictures. Oddly enough, sometimes I long for the days of not knowing what's out there and letting them be a surprise when you see em. But...doubt I ever go back to that. For now, it's still old school pulling cards.

I've been resistant to new technology as well TC. I'll tell you though, I can't believe we've gone from running to the store with a roll of film to scent free, instant gratification with pics delivered to your phone from a cellular cam. Pretty amazing advancement in technology and one heck of a scouting tool. These younger guys will never appreciate it the same as the older crowd. I can vouch for the cams Buford Dawg is running...they have been consistent and a lot of fun during my pre-deployment testing.

transfixer

I've resisted the cell camera thing, I think I would be really bummed out if I'm at work, or just got home from the lease and get a picture of a shooter buck in front of my camera when I'm not there ! I'd rather just wait a few days and see the pic when its way too late to do anything about it. :)

jbird1

I've resisted the cell camera thing, I think I would be really bummed out if I'm at work, or just got home from the lease and get a picture of a shooter buck in front of my camera when I'm not there ! I'd rather just wait a few days and see the pic when its way too late to do anything about it. :)

Haha...no doubt that would create some anxiety! I like getting them on camera almost as much as getting them in the crosshairs. It's like I can be hunting when I'm not even there...24/7. With the cell cams, I don't have to drive an hr. and 45 minutes to retrieve the images. It's a nice feature being as limited as I am these days getting afield. So for me, the expense of the data plan is worth it.

I haven't used the cell cams in a hunting application yet. The cameras were a tremendous asset in my feral cat trapping operation around the house during my field testing recently though.:wink:

Next season, I picture sitting around the fire bucket in the evenings deciding where to hunt the next morning based on real time cell cam images... without having to physically access the area to retrieve the images. May even decide after I get up the next morning pre-hunt based on overnight activity. I'm thinking it'll be a nice tool to have.

Todd E

I can tell you for certain.......if you find a community scrape and place a cell cam on it, it will tell you everything you need to know about the stages of the rut. From beginning to end. Who is local, when the does are ready, when they're locked down, trolling newbies, when it is over, and who is still alive at the end local and still looking for that last doe. You will never have to disturb that scrape.