A/T American made truck tire

Dusty Roads

What do you all recommend I replace my " All Terrain"(Vietnam)with-must be American made.
Thanks

HortDawg

Toyo’s are made here in GA believe in Gainesville, don’t know if the A/T’s are but definitely the M/Ts.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have had good results with Kelly Edge ATs. American made, great tires for the money.

Swamprat

Swamprat
You do know all the rubber for the production of a tire is coming from a foreign country. Mostly Asian countries. Just saying.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Michelin ain’t bad.
Last set I bought, two out of four, the tread separated from the carcass within 30k. One of them took my brake line with it. I want no more Michelins. And they were expensive.

lonewolf247

I usually shop around for reviews on tires and sales and purchase tires accordingly. I like to buy American when possible, but with most things today, it's hard for me to keep up with who makes what these days, since so much is outsourced.

That said, often I find myself buying Firestone, Goodyear, and General tires. I've had good luck with General Grabber, on my last truck, and actually the factory Goodyear Wrangler tires on my current truck. Also the Firestone Destination gave me good service in the past.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Last set I bought, two out of four, the tread separated from the carcass within 30k. One of them took my brake line with it. I want no more Michelins. And they were expensive.
I’ve insisted my entire family run michelins my entire life.
I run them till they are ripe for the dragstrip.
When I have had them bust a belt was only when running twice recommended pressure and trying to run off the middle tread.
I put 100,000 miles on many many sets of 80,000 michelins.
Cooper, kelly an general grabber are nearly as good quality IMO.
Michelins are king on my vehicles. Often buy used so I never get bit with tire price. New take offs last 5 sets. Thats 20 michelins in 10 years of marriage.
Not bad.

lonewolf247

I’ve insisted my entire family run michelins my entire life.
I run them till they are ripe for the dragstrip.
When I have had them bust a belt was only when running twice recommended pressure and trying to run off the middle tread.
I put 100,000 miles on many many sets of 80,000 michelins.
Cooper, kelly an general grabber are nearly as good quality IMO.
Michelins are king on my vehicles. Often buy used so I never get bit with tire price. New take offs last 5 sets. Thats 20 michelins in 10 years of marriage.
Not bad.

I have had good service with Michelin tires myself. They are just usually pricey, and I've had near as good as service from other quality brands for less money. BFG tires perform very well too, but same a Michelin, pretty costly.

I have done like you mentioned on a couple occasions, and bought new take offs. Bought my current tires from my cousin, that he took off his new truck. I paid half price of new, and had Walmart mount and balance them cheap, and with no questions asked.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I usually shop around for reviews on tires and sales and purchase tires accordingly. I like to buy American when possible, but with most things today, it's hard for me to keep up with who makes what these days, since so much is outsourced.

That said, often I find myself buying Firestone, Goodyear, and General tires. I've had good luck with General Grabber, on my last truck, and actually the factory Goodyear Wrangler tires on my current truck. Also the Firestone Destination gave me good service in the past.
Goodyear Wranglers have done really well for me. I've never had a set of Generals that lasted much over 30k.

cramer

I used to buy only Michelin until the French desecrated the American cemeteries.
cooper lately, Toyo on my wife's car have been smooth and quiet, but they are street tires

lonewolf247

Goodyear Wranglers have done really well for me. I've never had a set of Generals that lasted much over 30k.
The goodyear wranglers on my truck lasted 55,000 miles on the rear and 70,000 on the front, with no tire rotations. With the 2500HD, they tell you to run 80psi on the rear, to handle the GVWR, but that's at max capacity. My common folk education, tells me to run my new set at ~60psi, and air up to 80psi if I really need to push the limit. lol

I've had mixed results with the General Tires. I've had early General tires with not so good results, but more recently pretty good. I've had the Grabber AT2 and it was a good tire. The newer General A/TX tire is rated very well, actually #1 on tire rack in the AT category. Might be worth another look...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The goodyear wranglers on my truck lasted 55,000 miles on the rear and 70,000 on the front, with no tire rotations. With the 2500HD, they tell you to run 80psi on the rear, to handle the GVWR, but that's at max capacity. My common folk education, tells me to run my new set at ~60psi, and air up to 80psi if I really need to push the limit. lol

I've had mixed results with the General Tires. I've had early General tires with not so good results, but more recently pretty good. I've had the Grabber AT2 and it was a good tire. The newer General A/TX tire is rated very well, actually #1 on tire rack in the AT category. Might be worth another look...
I haven't bought any Generals in 15 years or so. To me, the Kelley Edge A/Ts are pretty much Goodyear Wranglers for a cheaper price. They're even made on the Goodyear molds.

transfixer

BFG's will last but the tread design is worthless offroad, they clog up with mud and you might as well have slicks , I'll be buying a new set of AT's in the next couple months, currently running Cooper SST Pro, love the tread design, but they haven't lasted very long, great in mud though, I'll go with a less aggressive tread next time, Goodyear Wranglers do last a long time, and the tread is decent in mud,

I'll try to find a tread design with one continuous unbroken rib , tires like that consistently run smoother, quieter and last longer, but manufacturers have gotten away from that ,, I guess because the tire last too long for their tastes ? Everything now is all broken up, nothing continuous,, everything seems to be either blocky tread, very aggressive, or street tire design, I realize the majority of 4wd owners now a days never go offroad,,, but some of us who have trucks actually use them like trucks, and do go offroad sometimes, there is a way to compromise and have a tread design that self cleans and yet lasts a decent amount of time on road.

tr21

my 97 wrangler has Hankook dynapro mud tires on it 40k and still have about 1/2 tread left, not bad for a good mud tire mostly on road . but my daily driver always has Michelins on it, you pay for them but I get 80-90k out of them on ram dsl's.