FL Panther in Georgia

Swamprat

Swamprat
I do know folks see tracks of them along the St. Johns corridor on a regular basis.

It keeps quiet because South FL does not want their cash kitty money to go away if they expand their range out of the Glades.

rosewood

rosewood

rosewood

Some fo
Some fokes might actually think a squirrel could be black. :D
Have a friend been selective breeding white squirrels in his backyard. He shoots any that are not white. Sent me a picture not too long ago of about 6 white squirrels in one picture.

Rosewood

ryanh487

That thing would definitely rip your head off if you cornered it.

Might rip your head off from behind before you know it's there while you walk to your stand in the dark.

As for the OP, i vote house cat based on the stripes on the tail and from what I can tell proportionatly to the rest of the photo. Assuming 8 foot gaps between fence posts and 4' height, and it appears the cat is half-way between the camera and the fence, i'd say healthy house cat.

Tom W.

I have a fairly young kitten that will rip me apart if she's feeling frisky. Grey and white with a two inch tail. Meanest cat that I've ever had, and she's an indoor cat....,

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
For the FL guys on here, are there many or any regular sightings in the Gainseville/Osceola NF area? I never hear of any. Seems like they’d have to be pretty regular there before they spread into the swampy flatwoods of GA very much.

I have relatives that get them on cams often down by Big Cypress. I've spent a lot of time down there and have never seen one in the wild....in S FL

4 yrs ago, I was in a lease SW of the OKee swamp. West of 441, 2 miles S of the FL/GA line. I was scouting a few weeks before turkey season and had been seeing a big flock of mostly hens. Overnight they disappeared. Riding out of the lease late one afternoon, a panther jumped the road in front of me 25 yards. Road easement is about 20-25 ft cleared, and it hit the road once. It was a big dang cat!

rosewood

I have a fairly young kitten that will rip me apart if she's feeling frisky. Grey and white with a two inch tail. Meanest cat that I've ever had, and she's an indoor cat....,
Sounds like a Manx with the short tail. I would have those knives removed as soon as the vet will do it before she destroys all your furniture since she is indoors only.

Rosewood

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Been looking at this one a bit......cant jump on the House cat bandwagon yet. Surely probable to see one (panther)there, and anywhere south of the Atl........maybe even north of that!
I’ve seen one in the wild.....working at Cypress creek golf course in Sun City. This one looks just like it, but smaller. I think it’s a young one and the stripes on the tail will be gone this time next year.
The panther I saw was full grown, on the Old 10th fairway, bout 50 yards away......she was checking me out as I was walking down the middle of the fairway back to the barn. I am so fortunate to have had this experience even if it scared the bejeezes out of me. This was back in 89ish? No doubt in my mind they’ve come up this far over the last 30+ years ......I remember it like it was yesterday.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Sounds like a Manx with the short tail. I would have those knives removed as soon as the vet will do it before she destroys all your furniture since she is indoors only.

Rosewood

No way RW.......I have a Manx and she is the sweetest baby ever. I don’t let her play rough with me, but my wife does and can’t figure out why she is all scratched up ?

IMHO declawing cats is just wrong, furniture or not. I’d NEVER do it.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I saw one in the Nine Mile Swamp area of Putnam County Florida back in 1976, and also saw T43 as he crossed a big powerline right of way in Baker County between Newton and El Model, a few weeks before he was caught, tranqed and returned to Florida.