Supplies..

Tunaman

BANNED
Pls bare with me, I'm new to muzzleloaders. Shot a hog with buddies that hooked me! Bought a traditions Buckmaster .50 Cal. I'm sure no where near the quality most of you own. But sighted it yesterday, seems to do a good job. The powerboat AeroLite 250 Grain is what I sighted with. Where do you guys and gals buy your bullets, primers etc?? Thanks !

snuffy

You will get mixed reviews on the Power Belts.

I use CCI primers that you can buy at any good sporting goods store.

I use real black powder that is getting harder to find. Used to buy it at Bass Pro in Macon. You had to ask for it at the gun counter. Last time I tried to buy there they said they stopped selling it.

Heard Deer Creek in Marietta I think carries it. But have never been there.

I use NO EXCUSSED bullet that I buy online. They are easy to load, accurate ( in my rifle) and put a hurting on deer.

Hope this helps.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
check your local walmarts they may have powerbelts on clearance. couple of days ago they had power belts on sale for $15 a card, I have bought them as cheap as $5 or less a card. Last few years they were out on the counter, now they are behind the counter so check close. also their muzzleloader stuff can be had for drastic clearance prices (including powder and primers) if you check enough and get lucky.

Last edited:

shdw633

Check Midway USA right now for sales and clearance items

rugerfan

Check your local Walmarts, I have not had any luck in the 4 stores that are close to me finding anything muzzle loading related in the last year. I just bought bullets and Blackhorn 209 powder from Bass Pro Today. Midway is a good place to find items on sale, and if you wait for certain days, orders over 49 dollars will have free shipping.

Hillbilly stalker

Our Wal Mart manager told me they carry ML supplies all year, so there’s no more clearance sales. Just my luck .

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Our Wal Mart manager told me they carry ML supplies all year, so there’s no more clearance sales. Just my luck .
One that I got to had it not on sale. The other does. Gonna check it again next week when I troll Through there. If they have duck decoys marked down further I’m gonna get some but they need to be marked down drastic for me to buy
I don’t even duck hunt but I bought so much steel shot last year because it was marked down so low I probably need to start

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I dig that aero lite and just got that WM $10 card but I decided long ago that I was very into muzzleloading.
So I went on ebay and bought myself a bunch of moulds. Maxi balls out of pure cleaned NEWLY MOULDED lead.
I’ve got so much spare lead I doubt my children will shoot it all away.

280 Man

Banned
I buy my supplies from Wally World at the end of season. I bought enough Blackhorn 209 last year to last me a while! Ive got my eye on several bottles of BH209 if they would only mark it down a little more. I also bought several boxes of T/C Cheap shot bullets and sabots for 4 dollars a box.

I hunt with 300 gr 44 cal Hornady XTP bullets and Harvester sabots. I order the sabots directly from Harvester. I also use CCI 209M primers to spark the BH 209.

Just remember, if you buy primers or powder online you will pay a hazmat fee and that will eat any savings up!

Tunaman

BANNED
This forum is AWESOME!! I'm new here and really enjoy it. Thanks folks for all the help. As you all can tell I'm also new to muzzle loader shooting.
You all seem helpful, may I ask for opinions on sabot bullets as compared say to the Aerolite? I sighted in to Aerolites 250 grain, having a little trouble finding them. I have grown fond of the .35 Rem Hornady Leverlution ammo. Noticed Hornady Sabbots, 250 Grian quite a lot cheaper. Thanks in advance!

rugerfan

This forum is AWESOME!! I'm new here and really enjoy it. Thanks folks for all the help. As you all can tell I'm also new to muzzle loader shooting.
You all seem helpful, may I ask for opinions on sabot bullets as compared say to the Aerolite? I sighted in to Aerolites 250 grain, having a little trouble finding them. I have grown fond of the .35 Rem Hornady Leverlution ammo. Noticed Hornady Sabbots, 250 Grian quite a lot cheaper. Thanks in advance!

I am shooting the Hornady 250 Grain low drag out of my CVA Optima V2, got decent groups with 100 grain charge of pellets, groups got better with IMR white hots, and now I am wanting to try the Blackhorn 209, so I went out and got a bottle to try.

I don't know personally what the Hornady bullets do on deer as of yet, but their are a bunch of mixed reviews about them. I have talked to guys that swear by them, and have talked to guys that hate them. So I guess only personal experience will have to be the final say.

Tunaman

BANNED
I am shooting the Hornady 250 Grain low drag out of my CVA Optima V2, got decent groups with 100 grain charge of pellets, groups got better with IMR white hots, and now I am wanting to try the Blackhorn 209, so I went out and got a bottle to try.

I don't know personally what the Hornady bullets do on deer as of yet, but their are a bunch of mixed reviews about them. I have talked to guys that swear by them, and have talked to guys that hate them. So I guess only personal experience will have to be the final say.
First and only deer I shot at with muzzleloader I missed! Guess I need a better bullet!! LOL

tgc

I’ve “had” several muzzleloaders. I now have a buckmaster as you do now. I like it better than any yet. It’s a keeper. Short and light.

Tunaman

BANNED
I’ve “had” several muzzleloaders. I now have a buckmaster as you do now. I like it better than any yet. It’s a keeper. Short and light.
Well I guess I got one thing right!, Wharton’tbare you shooting in it?

I just started with muzzloaders this past season. I used the barnes expander 250 grain with good results, but they are expensive. I'd like to find a cheaper load that shoots to the same point of impact for practice. As far as results though the barnes seem great. Good expansion, accurate, and through and through penetration.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Here's a little suggestion, before you get settled in on your choice of supplies.

Consider using about an 80 grain charge of loose powder, and a Hornady Great Plains 385 gr bullet.

You will find them to shoot very well, easy on the shoulder at 80-90 gr, and they are absolute spectacular death on critters.

Cheap, too. Just bought some at 10.00 a box of 20.

Hard to beat a plain old chunk of lead, despite all the fancy dancy new fangled crap that hits the shelves every year.