Who's Got Wood Duck Nesting Boxes

Barebowyer

Hole is typically 3"high by 4" wide for woodies. I just built three out of cedar and have four more in progress. There are lots of plans on the GON DNR site as well as the DU site and many others. Will post pics when I can and get them up....If you are going to put them on trees with no predator guards it is essential that you make the boxes long so predators cannot grab the hen off of the nest. Otherwise the depth is not needed as much, etc...

Coach Reynolds

Some recent pics from a few of my nesting boxes. I've got 8 out and 6 have nesting hens. One of my newer boxes I put out, I was worried the pole wasn't as secure in the mud as I liked. I check it after it had been out for 2 weeks and it was still standing. Then I went back this weekend, a week later, and it was tipped over in the water. I reset it and feel more comfident it's securfe so I feel it will be used soon as well.

Attachments

• Wood Duck Nesting Box.jpg
    Wood Duck Nesting Box.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 436
  • Hen wood duck in box on eggs.jpg
    Hen wood duck in box on eggs.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 409
  • Wood Duck Eggs in Nesting Box.jpg
    Wood Duck Eggs in Nesting Box.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 431

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Great pics, still have a few more to hang, with this weather, think they should still get some use

Barebowyer

Better late than never...I finally got five boxes up and installed on my new property. I have had two pair of woodies on my ponds each evening but have no idea if they will get any use or not.....I done my part I guess....we shall see

WOODIE13

We have put up 31 wood duck boxes where none have existed, looking good, seems like a lot are just pairing up. Getting kids involved is the key, along with partnerships with state orgs.

Attachments

• IMG_20170413_110135.jpg
    IMG_20170413_110135.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 296

WOODIE13

WV state parks

Installed 2 wood duck boxes with my right hand man yesterday. I hope they are high enough. We are looking forward to monitoring them to see if we get any hatchlings. He wants to put one of our cameras on it so we can monitor it from a far. KIMG0647.JPGKIMG0651.JPG

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Make sure to predator proof them, or they will be death traps.
I am using metal poles with 4 inch metal flue pipe (already had some) attached to the top so it swings. I stuffed hardware cloth in the top of the pipe so snakes and rodents can't climb up. I am thinking about smearing a bunch of grease on the bottom of the pole as well to deter ants and make it harder for racoons as well. Should work.

Arrow Flinger

We are putting up 3 in Saturday on metal post. We are planning on coating the pole with Marine grease. Will that be enough protection?

across the river

At a minimum put a five gallon bucket on the pipe. Keep the gap between the bucket and pipe small as possible and seal the gap. Grease outside all spring and summer won’t last, even if it worked initially, which I don’t know that it will.

Here is a better pic of our nesting boxes. Well 1 of them anyways, the other i'd have to be floating to get a pic of. No action yet, still early though. KIMG0677.JPG

trkyhnt89

I keep 5 - 6 boxes at my house on my lake down here in central Florida off a big river basin. I bet 200 eggs hatched out of those boxes last year, dont know what it is about the lake but the woodduck population is unreal. I do feed them and the fish year round so that probably helps, one of my favorite activities. Wish more people would do it down here.