Heavy FOC / Single Bevel Broadhead

Eroc33

I have always shot 100gr broadheads, and I was thinking about going up to 125gr. But I was on YouTube last night and discovered a video about Dr. Ashby and heavy foc arrows.

I'm interested in this and im thinking I want to go up to around 200gr broadheads without changing my arrows.

I currently shoot carbon express maxima hunter 350's, 28.5" and they weigh 392gr with 100 gr broadheads. I dont want mess up my arrow spine, and get to arround 20% foc if possible.

Does anyone have experience with these heavy broadheads or know of a store that stocks them / pushes heavy foc?

GrantC77

Id definitely say your coming in light even with a 125 grain broadhead. If you put that much weight up front on that light of a arrow, your probably gonna have tuning issues. I recommend you move to a heavier arrow. I have same draw length as you. I’m shooting a victory RIP TKO 300 spine with a 120 grain ethics archery insert/outsert with 100 grain rage trypan. I’m coming in at almost 500 grains with 17% FOC.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Although I have interest in it, never had enough to make any big moves. There's a pretty good FB group that I am a member of High Momentum: Bowhunting and Archery that gets very indepth and has some great knowledge floated around. Lots of garbage like most of FB, but good knowledge base for sure.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/359483327558781/

ddd-shooter

Definitely need a heavier spine if you want to go to 200. Otherwise I think you’ll be having Tuning issues.
You’ll find one thing calls for another if you want to change setup that drastically.

splatek

UAEC
No expert here
I’m shooting 350-300 tapered arrow with 200 tip and 150 insert. FOC between 25-30. sitting 50# recurve
Sticks perfect. haven’t knocked down any animals yet but hopefully this coming season.
Check out ranch fairy YouTube. He works with Ashby foundation and is funny, while still being informative.
I discovered this looking for arrow set ups for my nine year old who is only pulling 35# recurve.

deast1988

I went heavier this year.

You can’t add that big of a jump in tip weight with out tuning issues.

I’m pulling 29in @ 80lbs I went DaySix 250s with the 50gr outsert system. My finished arrow weighs in at 578grs, shooting either an Ironwill s125 or a Kudupoint Contour 125gr single bevel. It hammers the target harder then anything I’ve ever seen.

RanchFairy on youtube is big heavy arrow advocate. RanchFairy is on Ashby’s board.

Ashby, believe he says 650gr arrows an up!

In my opinion, you can’t jump the weight up with out being smart with your build. I’ve seen some short draw guys have to go 300spines to accommodate a proper tune with 150gr heads. There’s a ton of positive in going heavier. I shoot deer mainly, so didn’t see a need to go to a 600+ grain arrow. My trad bow just tuned to a 590gr arrow. 550/600gr range is a hammer on deer.

Eroc33

The video I saw last night was Ranch Fairy talking to the hunting public guys, he is pretty entertaining. I just watched a few of his videos and he recommended ordering a field tip sample pack and shooting them to see how they did. I think that is what I'll try, maybe 150 or 175 will work. I didn't mention it before, but im only shooting 65lbs so that should help some with the spine.

Thanks,

BornToHuntAndFish

Yep, lots of good tested science behind using heavier arrows & broadheads with higher FOC for shorter blood trails & better chances of pass throughs at more different shot angles.

Latest "The Hunting Public" video ("BEST Arrow Setup for Deer Hunting - Heavy vs. Light Arrows w/ RANCH FAIRY") on their Youtube channel at this last Jan. 2020 ATA Show sitting down in discussions with the Ranch Fairy from Texas who shows his testing results on his Youtube channel & has a high intellectual respiratory therapist backgound while also working with Dr. Ashby in this area. Ranch Fairy hunts whitetails, but enjoys & is more motivated hunting hogs that drove him to producing better results & lots of work for this area in recent years. The Hunting Public team this past season moved to heavier broadhead & arrow setups that produced better results.

:bounce:

strothershwacker

I'm a strong advocate for heavy arrows. I started out with heavy xx75s back in the day. Had great results. Pass throughs on every animal I shot except for 1 that I shot qautering away that moved a lil' and I hit in the rump. The heavy arrow with the fixed blade broadhead went thru everything and buried up in the brisket! 25 yard recovery. I had a double lung pass thru on one that I had to dig my arrow out of a cedar tree on the other side! Story after story of good results. Fast forward to the early 2000s, like others I got hooked on speed with super light arrows and big expandable heads. Deer after deer running off with my arrows. No exit wounds. 100+ yard tracking jobs. Since going trad, I went back to my heavy set up. Way heavy. Like 710grains with 265 of that up front. Shoot what ye will, but as for me I'll be chuckin' the payload!

rugerfan

I just watched the hunting public video then watched a couple of the ranch fairy videos. Which led me to do some research about the same thought process for crossbow bolts. Interesting information. Most are saying that with super sharp broadheads and heavy bolts there is no slap when the bolt hits the deer and they are not running and dropping in sight. Of course not all, but 80 percent or better.

hancock husler

I’m in the process of this very thing. Just don’t think I can bring myself to buy the Bishop archery broadheads

Eroc33

I did some more research / reading last night. I cant find a good spine calculator on the arrow company websites, but based on crossing over eastons spine chart. A 175 gr might work, but im not going to have enough arrow weight to push a single bevel thru bone. So if I want to go single bevel i will have to change arrows, which I might do.

I wont be purchasing any bishops either, probably going to go with grizzly sticks options.

I have thought about getting a crossbow for my back yard, id be curious how they work with heavy arrows.

splatek

UAEC
I am not sure about bishop's broadheads... but from what I saw they are SUPER EXPENSIVE....

I recently ordered a sample of various weight field points and I am going to start experimenting to see what's what with arrow flight and performance. I have never bareshaft tuned, but I think I see that in my future, as well.

Kris87

I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to super heavy arrow philosophy and high FOC. I don't think deer are really all that hard to shoot through, and they don't require something like an elk or moose would require. That said, not going to hurt a thing going super heavy, except trajectory of course. I also have not found a great benefit to super high FOC. I normally keep my whitetail stuff in the 13-15% range.

I'm sure some folks will say you can shoot through shoulders, and that is true of the actual shoulder muscle. I still to this day have not seen an arrow bust through the actual scapula on a deer. That thing is like Fort Knox.

Ben1100Mag

Dr Ed Ashby reports and the Ranch Fairy on YouTube is good information. I have always liked a heavy head. I am not totally sold on single bevel heads for deer. As Kris aid deer are not that hard to shoot thru.

Ihunt

I have shot high FOC arrows for years. I have never been able to prove it helps but I have also never seen a negative from it either. So, why not? There are many studies that show it helps but like Kris said, for Whitetail, it’s not really needed. I will say I’ve never had much of an issue shooting large COC heads and this is supposed to be a benefit of high FOC.

Now, concerning the shoulder bone. You should stay away from that at all cost. The Asby studies have shown that you need a 600 grain arrow for “bone busting” weight. The actual shoulder joint is a relatively small area and I for one think have no interest in building that heavy of an arrow for that very small what it scenario. In 37 years of bowhunting, I’ve hit there once. Basically just bounced off and I got a picture of her a couple of days later with just a scratch on her shoulder.

Concerning spine. To load it up you may have to drop draw weight or go to a stiffer spine. A weak spine will show itself very quickly with a fixed head. Easton Hexx are great arrows. If you go with a 260 spine you could load it up.

I use a a 330 spine with a 75 grain insert and a 150 grain head. This is out of a 55lb bow and 28” dL. Arrow weighs 464 grains. I also use feathers which is an easy way to help FOC. Last year I shot 29.75” Easton Hexx, 330 spine, 190 grain head, out of a 62 lb Vertix.

Eroc33

I agree some of the recommendations are overkill for whitetail, but years ago i had a arrow with an expandable not pass tru on a small deer from a high angle shot. I usually always like to be prepared, thats probably why this appealed to me so much.

I almost ordered a 2 arrow test kit the other day, but i talked myself off the ledge ,and ended up ordering a field point test kit, and two 2nd's 200gr broadheads to test, before i jump into the deep end on this.

Long Cut

Every deer I’ve missed has been a touch high or low, from deer jumping the string Or misjudging yardage during a November rut chase.

I understand and agree that high FOC will increase penetration, but for Whitetail deer I don’t think a 600+ grain arrow being shot from a compound bow is necessary. I’d opt for a 10-15% FOC with an FPS range of 270-285FPS... Keep the pin gap tight and arrow weight up front.

As far as single bevels for Whitetails... I’m going to compare some to my Grim Reapers and Slick Tricks in 2020.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I'm a strong advocate for heavy arrows. I started out with heavy xx75s back in the day. Had great results. Pass throughs on every animal I shot except for 1 that I shot qautering away that moved a lil' and I hit in the rump. The heavy arrow with the fixed blade broadhead went thru everything and buried up in the brisket! 25 yard recovery. I had a double lung pass thru on one that I had to dig my arrow out of a cedar tree on the other side! Story after story of good results. Fast forward to the early 2000s, like others I got hooked on speed with super light arrows and big expandable heads. Deer after deer running off with my arrows. No exit wounds. 100+ yard tracking jobs. Since going trad, I went back to my heavy set up. Way heavy. Like 710grains with 265 of that up front. Shoot what ye will, but as for me I'll be chuckin' the payload!
You had me at payload