Staying warm

Doe Dirt

When I went to Alabama in late January I about froze my rear end off. On the first morning if I hadn’t of had a whole pack of hand warmers in my lunch bag I don’t think I would have made it till lunch. It was 28degrees that morning and steady 10-15mph wind and I was dressed pretty heavily.
I layer up pretty good, wool socks, under armour 4.0 bottoms and the insulated Columbia pants over them.
Top is same under armour 4.0, then 3 more heavy duty thermal shirts and a insulated button up. Then I put on my bibs and a medium weight jacket over that. Wool gloves, heavy face mask and toboggan and still my whole body was cold. I’m naturally cold natured also.
Now I can dress to the point of staying comfortable but mobility is a issue. Hard to get turned around in a climber or ladder when you look like the Michelin man haha.
I was thinking maybe some of you guys that bow hunt the Midwest could chime in. My hats off to you guys with all that gear on. I imagine you better practice shooting fully clothed. September in Ga I’m in shorts and T-shirt in the stand.
I would like to hear what keeps you the warmest without all the bulk.
Tell ya this right quick. When I was in Alabama I took my insulated lunch bag and put a extra pair of socks, gloves, face mask and toboggan in there. Then I threw in 6-7 hand warmers on top of everything and zipped it up. Boys let me tell ya, about 9:30am reaching in there and grabbing out a hot change of clothes was like heaven. Made all the difference in the world. I will be doing this again if we ever see below 70degrees in November haha
Thanks!

splatek

UAEC
Well I’m no expert, but wind proofing has helped me. I picked up some Plythal gear on a camo Fire deal and it’s money. Looks like —— compared to the high end brands, but I was super warm in the pants. Just my two cents

Doe Dirt

Well I’m no expert, but wind proofing has helped me. I picked up some Plythal gear on a camo Fire deal and it’s money. Looks like —— compared to the high end brands, but I was super warm in the pants. Just my two cents
Yeah I think the biggest issue that day was with the wind. That stuff cuts right through ya. Thanks for the info.

Buckman18

Hard to beat wool for the money, certainly wool socks and gloves. Also, keeping your head warm is absolutely key. A ball cap is better than nothing, but a toboggan is 1000x better.

Where I hunt in the mountains, its common to hunt in the teens and twenties, and not unheard of to occasionally hunt in single digits, and theres almost always wind up on the tops. Layers will help you. My outer layer is a big green carhartt coat.

You could spend big money on some down stuffed jackets, but if youre just occasionally hunting cold its probably not worth it. Some of that newer super expensive stuff packs nice, but would be ripped to shreds when you walk through briars.

Doe Dirt

Hard to beat wool for the money, certainly wool socks and gloves. Also, keeping your head warm is absolutely key. A ball cap is better than nothing, but a toboggan is 1000x better.

Where I hunt in the mountains, its common to hunt in the teens and twenties, and not unheard of to occasionally hunt in single digits, and theres almost always wind up on the tops. Layers will help you. My outer layer is a big green carhartt coat.

You could spend big money on some down stuffed jackets, but if youre just occasionally hunting cold its probably not worth it. Some of that newer super expensive stuff packs nice, but would be ripped to shreds when you walk through briars.
Right, I know how to dress warm but I’m looking for a less is more approach if there is one. You start stacking multiple layers and you lose your mobility to climb, reach, turn etc.....
I always like to keep a small hand Warner between my head and toboggan. You’re correct the head is most important. You keep those hands, head and feet warm and ya usually got it.
I probably should have modified my post. Really looking for something that stops that wind and freezing rain from grabbing a hold of ya.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Biggest difference maker to me is I started wearing those gaiter things you pull up over your face. I think they are designed for salt water fishing, but just that thin layer over my neck and face makes all the difference in the world. And non lace up boots. I actually wear my Lacrosse rubber snake boots down into the upper 20's. They don't cut the circulation off in the top of my feet.

Buckman18

Right, I know how to dress warm but I’m looking for a less is more approach if there is one. You start stacking multiple layers and you lose your mobility to climb, reach, turn etc.....
I always like to keep a small hand Warner between my head and toboggan. You’re correct the head is most important. You keep those hands, head and feet warm and ya usually got it.
I probably should have modified my post. Really looking for something that stops that wind and freezing rain from grabbing a hold of ya.

On the coldest days, I wear a long sleeve tshirt, wool sweater, and my carhartt and I don't have mobility issues, and am quite comfy. In the event of rain, wool continues to insulate. I dont wear anything on my legs other than blue jeans, but a lot of folks I hunt with wear insulated long handles under their britches. I often pack in 1-3 miles with my sweater and coat in my pack, and add layers when I get to my set up.

Its possible to effectively reduce a layer by getting a down stuffed sitka or kuiu outfit, but theyre super expensive. They pack great, but I dont like how noisy they are, or how weak the outer material seems to be.

buc101

Take a look at Sitka and Firstlite gear. Used it in Wyoming Canada late Nov weather. Costly but well worth the money. Take a look at the Heater Body Suit as another option.

35 Whelen

Outer layer of GoreTex for keeping the wind from cutting through.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Silk socks and hanker chief helps keep me warm.A windproof layer is a must in the midwest.

Doe Dirt

Take a look at Sitka and Firstlite gear. Used it in Wyoming Canada late Nov weather. Costly but well worth the money. Take a look at the Heater Body Suit as another option.
Seems a lot of people prefer Sitka, I’m going to check them out. I wanna head out west maybe this year or next and wanna be prepared. It’s not as enjoyable hunting when you’re shaking like a leaf. I would have thought these few extra lbs around the waist line would of added some warmth haha

Doe Dirt

I don't own one so I cant give a review. But have you looked at a heated jacket? Milwaukee has one that is supposed to be pretty good.
Funny you say that cause I have about 2-3 of every cordless tool Milwaukee makes for my business. I seen a guy with one on this year on a day it was freezing outside. I said man are you not cold with nothing but that little jacket on??? Then he showed me how it was heated and you just charge it like you do the rest of their tools. I think I may get me one. Like I said I’m just cold natured, been like this all my life. I’ll be that old man dressed to the hilt with it 70degrees outside later in life.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Won't work in a climber, but my Buddy heater is AWESOME in a blind or shooting house.

tucker80

Funny you say that cause I have about 2-3 of every cordless tool Milwaukee makes for my business. I seen a guy with one on this year on a day it was freezing outside. I said man are you not cold with nothing but that little jacket on??? Then he showed me how it was heated and you just charge it like you do the rest of their tools. I think I may get me one. Like I said I’m just cold natured, been like this all my life. I’ll be that old man dressed to the hilt with it 70degrees outside later in life.

They make it in camo too.
I've been thinking about one myself.