Where to shoot em with 00bu

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Ok so I know are plenty of choices of loads, but I am looking target placement, with say 00buck. I want to do some stalking this year with buckshot since it’ll be legal. I always seem to jump deer and can think of a time or two I may have taken a shot, had I been carrying a shotgun and buckshot. But am I wanting to puncture lungs, or break a neck and save meat? I’m typically going lungshot on a hog, what about the neck on a deer?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I shoot them in the deer is funny.

I would aim to where I thought my shot would knock it over and make the deer fall and kick.
Shoulder blade just not high.
A rifle gives distance and accurate shots a shotgun can’t.
Just aim away from antlers and hurt him good with your shot of lead.
And follow though. But soon as you carry a shotgun that buck will be standing at 110 yards.

georgia_home

Aim for the engine room if possible. Heart and lungs: just a hair behind front shoulder. That crease.

Edit: I’ve done a lot of snapshots on deer with slugs. If you shoot shotgun regularly, it’s not usually a problem specially at shotgun / buckshot range.

Where we hunt back home, landowner requires buck for drives. Our choice for all else.

Lilly001

I would go heart/lung unless I was close and had time for a good neck shot.
But H/L would be my default.

Big7

The Oracle
Ima' little different.

Most time you jump one he/she is running straight away. Right?

To me, that automatically means a shot to the back of the neck and back of the head.

That shot also works quartering away or dead crossing. It only takes one or two pellets with those double oughts.

And... If you already have that mindset going in, it's not something you have to decide on the go. Just always think "head and neck". That work's at almost any angle of presentation.

Just stay with that. It will work every time, provided you are in "buck shot" range.☺

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Oh yeah I’m sure they’ll be at 110 when I have the shotgun. But so far, they’ve been less than 40 with no time to scope and all that goes into that and a .308 in hand. I saw a deer killed with a rifle and one neck shot.......think they called it a Texas heart shot. It dropped DRT. Hitting the neck was really my wonder. Always have been a heart lung guy, but a deer certainly has a bigger neck than a pig.
Big7 thanks for confirming I’ll have options. I know i will be sighting in the 12 ga next week for turkeys and I’ll check out the buckshot pattern too. I got a .670 choke end of last turkey season , but I think the modified might be best for 00. I like the idea of starting at 25yds and if it isn’t 100%, no need to move further before a change(got that from another thread) I have a bunch of different ammo, but have failed to properly sight in. Epic fails have been a result of my lack of preparedness.
I am thinking of doing some stalking maybe when the woods are full of folks pushing deer. That’d be more like hunting with dogs than the old sit and hope method. Pretty sure buckshot is legal on WMAs now so I may try a new tactic. And I ain’t worried about bone or not. .....I’m brown it’s down, so long as it ain’t got spots or just plain tiny.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Also, I thought I read where you are not supposed to use buckshot in a full choke. This right?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Pattern your shotgun with different chokes, #1, 0, 00, and #4 buckshot, to see what the gun likes best, and and at various ranges. Only then should you make your decision.

With my old 870, if I wanted to sweep an alley or mow down a crowd, I`d us the full choke tube with #4 buckshot. At 30 yards it paints with a very wide brush.

If I`m deer hunting, I use the modified choke with #1 buckshot. At 30 yards it`ll nearly blow a hole through a deer. It`s a really tight pattern.

As for where to shoot with buckshot, I prefer the shoulder. With a good pattern, to me it`s the best place. I never take a neck shot at a deer with any kind of weapon.

Last edited:

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Also, I thought I read where you are not supposed to use buckshot in a full choke. This right?

My Buck kicker is Extra Full, throws a load of 00 into a pie plate at 60 yds.

If I am shooting #1 Buck, like Nic I like a Modified Choke.

Patterning is the key with different loads and chokes.

Rem 870 Express, 3 in. buck. Both 00 and #1

Behind the shoulder and its a dead deer.

ishootlittlebucks

Oh yeah I’m sure they’ll be at 110 when I have the shotgun. But so far, they’ve been less than 40 with no time to scope and all that goes into that and a .308 in hand. I saw a deer killed with a rifle and one neck shot.......think they called it a Texas heart shot. It dropped DRT. Hitting the neck was really my wonder. Always have been a heart lung guy, but a deer certainly has a bigger neck than a pig.
Big7 thanks for confirming I’ll have options. I know i will be sighting in the 12 ga next week for turkeys and I’ll check out the buckshot pattern too. I got a .670 choke end of last turkey season , but I think the modified might be best for 00. I like the idea of starting at 25yds and if it isn’t 100%, no need to move further before a change(got that from another thread) I have a bunch of different ammo, but have failed to properly sight in. Epic fails have been a result of my lack of preparedness.
I am thinking of doing some stalking maybe when the woods are full of folks pushing deer. That’d be more like hunting with dogs than the old sit and hope method. Pretty sure buckshot is legal on WMAs now so I may try a new tactic. And I ain’t worried about bone or not. .....I’m brown it’s down, so long as it ain’t got spots or just plain tiny.
A Texas heart shot would be shooting them right in the round brown eye (butt hole). I would not recommend that, but nothing wrong with shooting them in the back of the head/neck when they're going away. I killed a nice 8 with that shot this year with my ML. It was the only shot I had. It went in about halfway up his neck and came out his throat patch.

Big7

The Oracle
A 'fixed full" is OK. Also performs very well. If you have a dedicated "buck shot" shotgun, I prefer that. Mine also happens to be my dedicated "turkey" gun.

The screw in chokes are great and offer a lot for wing shooting and I know a lot of the "turkey guns" are marketed with that as a "feature". Keep in mind though, screw in chokes do all they are going to do in the length of the choke. The fixed barrel chokes are tapered or "choked" in a greater lenght of the barrel.

That means you will get better patterns with fixed for a lot of reasons, less shot deformation and felt recoil being 2 of the main reasons.

And... Some folks will buck me on this but it makes sense to NOT try and feed a screw in full choke a heavy load of shot.

You are on the right track with modified in a screw in choke. Not a full screw in choke.
Make sense? Let me know if you need more detail.? No problem.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
A 'fixed full" is OK. Also performs very well. If you have a dedicated "buck shot" shotgun, I prefer that. Mine also happens to be my dedicated "turkey" gun.

The screw in chokes are great and offer a lot for wing shooting and I know a lot of the "turkey guns" are marketed with that as a "feature". Keep in mind though, screw in chokes do all they are going to do in the length of the choke. The fixed barrel chokes are tapered or "choked" in a greater lenght of the barrel.

That means you will get better patterns with fixed for a lot of reasons, less shot deformation and felt recoil being 2 of the main reasons.

And... Some folks will buck me on this but it makes sense to NOT try and feed a screw in full choke a heavy load of shot.

You are on the right track with modified in a screw in choke. Not a full screw in choke.
Make sense? Let me know if you need more detail.? No problem.

Ahem...
REMINGTON BUCK KICKER 12G

Rem12Blk_Main.png

BKRecChart.png

I shoot the X FULL. Kills deer dead, never had a issue. Nor have a heap of other folks shooting the same choke.

Big7

The Oracle
Ahem...
REMINGTON BUCK KICKER 12G

View attachment 1005924

View attachment 1005925

I shoot the X FULL. Kills deer dead, never had a issue. Nor have a heap of other folks shooting the same choke.
If you have put the research in, I don't doubt you. I'd like to see the bore diameter, if you have it handy. Looks like the choke incorporates some decent sort of muzzle brake. I can see that as a good thing for the heavy kicker's.

I'll stay with my experience though. Fixed full or modified with a screw in. But, hey, if that choke suits you and you can throw what you want down range, MORE POWER TO YOU !!
I'm good with that !!

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
The only thing I have heard not to shoot through a full choke is Foster type slugs.

STANDARD BORE SIZE: .730"

But like you said, shoot what works for you. But buckshot isn't going to ruin a shotgun when shot through a full screw-in choke.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
The only thing I have heard not to shoot through a full choke is Foster type slugs.

STANDARD BORE SIZE: .730"

But like you said, shoot what works for you. But buckshot isn't going to ruin a shotgun when shot through a full screw-in choke.

I think that’s what I read Dutch. Modified was good for slugs, full choke no.
Ive got that baikal SPR 453 semiautomatic which is a Russian Remington that takes a truchoke, not a regular Remington. It will shoot 2.75 - 3.5 “ shells. I just have not taken the time to really pattern it in as I should have. This year I will.

Any real difference with a hot barrel on a shotgun like a rifle? When I check my rifle I hope to not shoot it more than 5 times.....twice will be just for fun☺️ Probably be sore after the shotgun sighting in as I would like to get ready for birds and deer.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I like that choke.....it’d look sweet on the end of my gun!

Big7

The Oracle
I think that’s what I read Dutch. Modified was good for slugs, full choke no.
Ive got that baikal SPR 453 semiautomatic which is a Russian Remington that takes a truchoke, not a regular Remington. It will shoot 2.75 - 3.5 “ shells. I just have not taken the time to really pattern it in as I should have. This year I will.

Any real difference with a hot barrel on a shotgun like a rifle? When I check my rifle I hope to not shoot it more than 5 times.....twice will be just for fun☺️ Probably be sore after the shotgun sighting in as I would like to get ready for birds and deer.
Don't believe everything you see or hear from advertising.?

And, a shotgun spread is not nearly as susceptible to heat related problems as a rifle bullet.

+ there is really no need to heat up a barrel in hunting situations.

More of the heat in a rifle is generated by the projectile(s) engagement of the rifling, not the actual burning of powder. A smooth bore shotgun, even if you are using a rifled slug, has no where even close to the friction of a rifle cartridge. Repeat: NO WHERE EVEN CLOSE.

Very many things to consider. What I have posted here and above are the main considerations. Many, many other things to factor in tho..?

georgia_home

One other plus on the mod, both my 870 and 1187 shoot sluggers and brenneke ko’s well through the mod. So no need to switch chokes between slug and buck.

My Buck kicker is Extra Full, throws a load of 00 into a pie plate at 60 yds.

If I am shooting #1 Buck, like Nic I like a Modified Choke.

Patterning is the key with different loads and chokes.

Rem 870 Express, 3 in. buck. Both 00 and #1

Behind the shoulder and its a dead deer.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR

Never had a issue with heating a shotgun barrel during pattern testing. Couple of shots and you will know if your gun like that particle load.

My 870 likes Winchester Super-X 3 in. #1 buck and Remington 3 in. 00 buck.