Top right corner

1584652115922.png

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
PH range.JPG

Canuck5

Thanks Triple C!

When I get back down to the Club, I'll be adding 1 pound per acre of this, to my clover plots, to get some Boron in the soil. With all the rain we've had, Boron does get washed away. But not more than 1 pound.

https://www.cropnutrition.com/nutrient-knowledge/boron

Boron.jpg

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team

Canuck5

White Clover still stands out as one of the most nutritious and easiest, food plot plants we can grow. I have added 3/4 of an acre of alfalfa (Bulldog 805) in my plans this year, with the hopes that it's deep tap root will preform well, during a drought, when my white clover goes dormant.

https://animal.ifas.ufl.edu/corn_silage_forage_field_day_extension/2010/docs/myer.pdf (Lots of new alfalfa varieties have come out since, likely, this study was done)

Nutrional Values.JPG

Canuck5

I have 3/4 of acre of Alfalfa and 30 feet away 1 acre of white clover. Right now, (last time I was down) I have seen comparable usage in both, but I suspect that alfalfa will see more usage in the heat of the summer.

davidhelmly

White Clover still stands out as one of the most nutritious and easiest, food plot plants we can grow. I have added 3/4 of an acre of alfalfa (Bulldog 805) in my plans this year, with the hopes that it's deep tap root will preform well, during a drought, when my white clover goes dormant.

https://animal.ifas.ufl.edu/corn_silage_forage_field_day_extension/2010/docs/myer.pdf (Lots of new alfalfa varieties have come out since, likely, this study was done)

View attachment 1012656
White clover is definitely the most prevalent crop we have in our plots but I think I’m going to mix in a pretty heavy dose of red clover this fall too when we plant.

Canuck5

White clover is definitely the most prevalent crop we have in our plots but I think I’m going to mix in a pretty heavy dose of red clover this fall too when we plant.

Medium Red Clover is always a part of my mix, now!

ChattBuck

canuck, whats the absolute latest you think a north georgian could get away with planting radishes/brassica? I want to wait to till up my dove field till AFTER the first segment ends sept 30th. Would planting that fall/winter plot with radishes be ok at that time?

Planted this field with wheat in mid october 2019 and it did great. Just trying to rotate my winter cover.

Canuck5

Somebody with more experience that far north, can chime in, but I think October 1, might be the absolute last, you should plant. Your first frost is in the vicinity of October 19th.

Now, having said that and knowing daikon radish and purple top turnip seed is small, moderately cheap, doesn't like to be planted deep, will germinate on top of the soil with rain, I'd go ahead and broadcast that seed, right into your (fill in the blank) dove field, when you want. You'll get germination at anything above 45 degree soil temperature, when the conditions and moisture is right.

You don't have to do your entire plot, but you can hand crank in whatever you feel like. It won't be perfect, but shoot any deer that complains about it. Fertilize after 9/30.

After 9/30 you can do more wheat ... do oats ... do winter peas .... do clover ... do chicory .... lots of other options, for whatever balance of your food plot you have left.

Cool season seed.JPG

Radish 1-10-16.jpgsolo.JPG

If you have problems, maybe one type or another crop, might help solve it for you

Cover crop advantages.JPG

Last edited:

ChattBuck

Thank you sir. I'll probably top sow the radishes and brassicas in all the strips we cut for the dove in early to mid sept. Let them get started and not worry about actually tilling up those sections if they'll germinate without being covered. I've got a couple of mixes and plan to put some wheat into it as well.

I appreciate your input.

Canuck5

They will germinate without being covered, as long as they touch dirt and get rain.