Cleaning a Colt

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Old pre 1982 penny for rust on guns.
Brasso for the contaminant in this case leather. Im sure there is something better but it’s what I’d try.

tgc

Nice gun. It’ll probably have a stain in that spot from now on. Just have to live with it I guess

bullgator

I have that same gun in blue. My understanding is it was a one year ”parts” gun using some regular government parts with a couple gold cup parts.

Reactions: Dub

rayjay

That's satin nickel I'm pretty sure. Probably not going to clean up. I think I have a set of those exact grips in a box somewhere.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I doubt you will get it all cleaned off. Probably gonna leave a stain. but still a nice shooter.

If you are embarrassed to carry it, let me know. I can probably help you out with that

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
That's satin nickel I'm pretty sure. Probably not going to clean up. I think I have a set of those exact grips in a box somewhere.
Have no idea where my FIL got the grips. As I mentioned, didn't even know he had this one until we found it the other day.

They're thicker than the standard grips. They fit your hand really well.

7Mag Hunter

barkeepers friend...mix powder with water to form wet toothpaste consistency and
use soft cloth or toothbrush....

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Thank you. That's a very kind gesture, but no embarrassment here. ?
I had one of those Commander sized Colts back in the 70's. I don't know why I ever got rid of it. I really like those short slide guns. So much so that I purchased my first Glock a few weeks back, a G45 because of the full size frame and short slide. I haven't had a chance to break it in yet, but I am looking forward to doing so real soon.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I don't know exactly what the material is but if it is stainless could the entire frame be gently bead blasted once the blue/green has been removed?

frankwright

I had a SA Commander sized 1911 that had bright shiny flats on the slide.
I glass bead blasted it with a hand held blaster from harbor freight. It was easy and came ou
vehbhwll.jpg
t good!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I had a SA Commander sized 1911 that had bright shiny flats on the slide.
I glass bead blasted it with a hand held blaster from harbor freight. It was easy and came ou
vehbhwll.jpg
t good!
Yes sir that's a fine looking pistol.