Gobbler just sat down and died!

turkeyhuntinfool

What are the two diseases which the results are pending ? Does this report rule out possible cause of death by contact with any chemicals ?

Turkeytider

If memory serves, they found TWO turkeys on that same property that appeared to have died in essentially the same manner (?). I do remember that the OP saying that there was no obvious signs of trauma in either case. Soooo....??

Gadget

Thanks Bobby. Still leaves a lot of questions. I see suspected physical trauma listed as probable cause; I assume this excludes any possibility of being shot otherwise that would be stated in the report.

Gadget

yes we found two birds a week apart, both looked to be in perfect physical condition. The first one I personally examined, skinned the breast and neck, no signs of injury. Weighed 21.8lbs

BBond

From the person who performed the necropsy
"I did not see any injuries that would point to being hit with a pellet, but I also don't think I could completely rule it out."

As for the tests pending we will not know until those come back.

It's all we have to go on for now.

Turkeytider

yes we found two birds a week apart, both looked to be in perfect physical condition. The first one I personally examined, skinned the breast and neck, no signs of injury. Weighed 21.8lbs

I have trouble with the trauma explanation mainly because TWO birds were found with no obvious signs of trauma. I could go along a lot easier if only one had been found.

turkeyhuntinfool

I found the 2nd turkey which was the one examined. I personally went over the head and neck areas before the bird was picked up by DNR and there was no signs of any kind of injury. There was no sign of bring hits by any pellets. The gobbler didn’t have a feather out of place.
Jim Smith

cowhornedspike

Sooo....What can cause head trauma in an otherwise healthy bird? Fighting with another tom? Awful strange that it happened to two birds (at least) on the same property.

Gadget

There is still some tests that we're waiting for the results.
The two birds were found a week apart, both were in perfect condition. They were found about 400yds from each other.

Gadget

This was in Crawford County, about 30min west of Macon

Jeff Raines

I usually raise a couple turkeys for meat every year.Caught one in my sweet taters one time and whopped it on the butt with a stick,it died on the spot.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Dang. Just read a couple moths worth of posts. I was hoping for a resolution. Not the kind of mystery I like.