trapping needs

Tristan1687

Hey guys, not sure if this goes here... Anyway, I need a good trapper in the Sandy Springs area. Last one charged me an arm and a leg. We still have fox problem.

or do I just get a commercial/nuisance license and trap myself?

thanks

Last edited:

j_seph

Seems you would not have to have a license to trap a nuisance animal in your backyard @C.Killmaster

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
§ 27-3-62. Open seasons
(d) Notwithstanding subsection (a) or (b) of this Code section, it shall be lawful to trap beaver, rats, and mice at any time during the year. It shall also be lawful for any person to set steel traps within 200 yards of the residence or dwelling of any such person for the protection of livestock, ratites, poultry, or other fowl or domestic animals from any predatory bird or animal.

You can also call your local Game Management office and get a free wildlife control permit if you want it in writing. They can't be relocated if you catch them, you'll have to kill them.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
@C.Killmaster thanks for that! You are awesome.

Best way to dispatch the animal...shovel...axe...? Gun? I live in a residential area.
I would say a 22 rifle but if that’s to loud maybe a good pellet rifle , I wouldn’t beat them to death, and if u try u may be able to find someone with a fox pen that would take them alive , but most of those are in extreme south Ga !

280 Man

Banned
I would say a 22 rifle but if that’s to loud maybe a good pellet rifle , I wouldn’t beat them to death, and if u try u may be able to find someone with a fox pen that would take them alive , but most of those are in extreme south Ga !

I use a 22 cal pellet rifle! Quiet and VERY deadly! Nuisance trapped animals cannot be relocated! They must be dispatched!

Last edited:

Tristan1687

Got him! thanks for the help guys! @antharper @C.Killmaster
.22 pellet worked just fine.

Really enjoyed setting up the traps and the set up. I can see the appeal. May start going after coyotes at deer camp. Any good books, youtube channels, articles that I could study up on? Looking for gear and set up tips. I got 2: 1-1/2 and 2: 2 inch Duke traps.

Also, do I need a trapping license? I dont plan on selling fur.

Attachments

• unnamed 2.jpg
    unnamed 2.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Beautiful colors on that fox , congrats ! And it’s addicting , I just started trapping a few months ago and watched several YouTube videos but got most of my help and knowledge from the experts on here , just ask questions, I’ve caught 14 coyotes since the end of January , maybe about 5 weeks with traps in the ground ! Just got done ordering me some more supplies $200 worth

Doug B.

Beautiful colors on that fox , congrats ! And it’s addicting , I just started trapping a few months ago and watched several YouTube videos but got most of my help and knowledge from the experts on here , just ask questions, I’ve caught 14 coyotes since the end of January , maybe about 5 weeks with traps in the ground ! Just got done ordering me some more supplies $200 worth
Lots of good information on here. You can probably do a search for almost any question you may have, but go ahead and ask stuff anyway. It makes for great conversations on here and it won't hurt any of us to go over things again. It seems like I learn stuff everytime we discuss something.

280 Man

Banned

Really enjoyed setting up the traps and the set up. I can see the appeal. May start going after coyotes at deer camp. Any good books, youtube channels, articles that I could study up on? Looking for gear and set up tips. I got 2: 1-1/2 and 2: 2 inch Duke traps.

In SC landowners can nuisance trap without a license within 100 yds of home. They can also depradation trap their land farther than 100 yds as well but need a depradation permit, they are no problem to get

oldguy

You're on your way now!

280 Man

Banned

You are going to get many opinions on this! Coyotes can be VERY HARD on traps While these traps will work I personally like the MB550 traps. Made in USA. They are base plated with two crunch proof swivels with a heavy D ring. One of those swivels is attached to the D ring which is attached to the base plate and one at the end of the chain. They have cast jaws, have machine chain, Paws i trip pan with a night latched stainless dog. These traps are bomb proof! They are a little higher in price but you get what you pay for tho.

Duke has a version called Pro Series 550 which look exactly like the MB550 but I have experience with them!

In short, don't buy the cheapest traps you can find! Buy quality stuff! You will have a much better experience! Good luck