Example of a Mineral Site Set-up...

Tight Lines

Don't know if this is the best way, but thought I'd show a pic of one I set up today...

100 lbs. trace minerals, a bag of Deer Cane, a bottle of Black Magic, and a Trophy Rock in a low spot waiting on rain...

Camera about 15 ft. away...

Attachments

• IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    370.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    796.5 KB · Views: 261

Jim Boyd

That will get it done!!!!!

deast1988

5lbs of big six trace minerals from TSC, 5lbs of course salt cattle minerals from TSC, 4gallons of water 1 packet of grape koolaid and a bag of deer cane mineral

Add all the stuff into your prepped site, mix cane koolaid into water then pour it over the site.

Tight Lines

Here is a simpler version (less expensive) that I set up this weekend too...it is 100 lbs of trace mineral in a raked low spot and a 50 lb trace mineral block from Smith's in Washington...

Attachments

• IMG_0483 copy.jpg
    IMG_0483 copy.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 77

Jim Boyd

Any and all of those will work.

Pool salt will work.

Salted road run off pulls them to highways all the time.

To me, it is the LOCATION that makes the lick work.

I use the same things in each location, yet some are successful and some not.

Damp SEEMS to be one of the keys for success.

Tight Lines

Any and all of those will work.

Pool salt will work.

Salted road run off pulls them to highways all the time.

To me, it is the LOCATION that makes the lick work.

I use the same things in each location, yet some are successful and some not.

Damp SEEMS to be one of the keys for success.

I agree with this...if I can get water to pool regularly with rain, it is definitely one of my better spots...sometimes have to dig the hole to get it started...and an old hollow stump in a low area near a trail = PURE GOLD!

Tight Lines

This one on my old lease was great...old oak hollow stump, trail to the right, and a low area around the roots...they loved this one...when it rains, the stump fills up and it's like a new lick all over again...BF87D92C-F962-443A-B53C-5409A3B7271B.jpeg

bigblocktransam

Trace minerals from tractor supply work good for something the deer can lick.. for bucks it’s missing calcium and phosphorus. It does contain magnesium for lactating does though.

bigblocktransam

I’ve had poor luck with trophy rock. Washed out in about 3 good rainstorms.. thought it would be good in the ground, they didn’t hit it until I poured other minerals in.

nmurph

Man, I just spent three hours on a tangent about these minerals we are putting out... by and large a waste of time with the makeup and bioavailability of what we're putting out vs what WT need.

Tight Lines

Man, I just spent three hours on a tangent about these minerals we are putting out... by and large a waste of time with the makeup and bioavailability of what we're putting out vs what WT need.

I don't put a lot of stock into thinking I'm growing antlers or really helping with a deer's nutrition...my thinking is that they are going to visit the sites, which allows me to pattern and take a census. Most whitetail have sufficient nutrition around them...Mother Nature won't allow the herd to grow if not...our food, food plots, and minerals serve a purpose, but to me it is mostly for us...

nmurph

I don't put a lot of stock into thinking I'm growing antlers or really helping with a deer's nutrition...my thinking is that they are going to visit the sites, which allows me to pattern and take a census. Most whitetail have sufficient nutrition around them...Mother Nature won't allow the herd to grow if not...our food, food plots, and minerals serve a purpose, but to me it is mostly for us...

That's certainly fine. However, if the goal is have minerals as an attractant, then plain pool salt is all that's needed. I look at minerals as one more piece of the puzzle, and while deer can find most of what they need in their browse, body growth and antler size can be optimized. In the same way that humans can live pretty well on burgers and junk food, it certainly doesn't help with lifespan or the shape of our body.