Need advise

Rem700308

I've never hunted bear before and I am wanting to ride up to north Georgia and give it a try this fall on one of the WMAs. ( Firearms) I live in Southwest Georgia and I've hunted my entire life for pretty much everything but bear. Based on my little research, it seems Cohutta and Chattahoochee seem to be the most popular for bear. My main question is which wma would I have the best chance of even seeing a bear or deer if bear don't work out? It doesn't necessarily have to be the two previously mentioned either. I understand the mountains are tough but I'm in pretty decent shape and up for the challenge. I would only hunt for maybe 2 days at the most. My wife and I go up every year around that time and rent a cabin just for a little vacation. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

ddd-shooter

I've never hunted bear before and I am wanting to ride up to north Georgia and give it a try this fall on one of the WMAs. ( Firearms) I live in Southwest Georgia and I've hunted my entire life for pretty much everything but bear. Based on my little research, it seems Cohutta and Chattahoochee seem to be the most popular for bear. My main question is which wma would I have the best chance of even seeing a bear or deer if bear don't work out? It doesn't necessarily have to be the two previously mentioned either. I understand the mountains are tough but I'm in pretty decent shape and up for the challenge. I would only hunt for maybe 2 days at the most. My wife and I go up every year around that time and rent a cabin just for a little vacation. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
Search the forum. That's been asked (along with beginner advice) about a million times and there's been a lot of great experts weigh in.
Either one is good, any mountain wma will hold plenty of bears and patches of a few deer. The timing of your hunt is more critical to me. If you're planning on rifle, better be EARLY rifle. Once November rolls around, you're really reducing opportunities on bears. But, the deer don't get wound up until Thanksgiving. Burn some boot leather and pay attention to the acorn report we try to share here every fall. That'll be a good help to you.
Good luck

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Paint a half gallon high up on the side of a tree a few days before you plan on hunting. Then sit about 75 yards away from the tree and wait. If the GW spots you tell him you never knew the honey was there.

35 Whelen

A lot of bear were killed on Chattahoochee WMA last season by dog hunters. It will be interesting to see how that affects this season.