Does are dropping fawns in Wilkes Co.

Tight Lines

Saw two today, probably anywhere from hours to days old...one doe was licking the fawn between her legs, so I am assuming that one had just dropped...the other was bedded down while mama was out feeding...that would put the rut right around the first of November start...and we still have some pregnant...the rut in Wilkes is generally predicted around 11/3-11/9 though I'd guess from the does dropping right now there may have been an early start...my guess is we have dropped about 1/3rd of the fawns so far on our lease...

What are you guys seeing in Wilkes?

IMG_1495.jpeg

Tight Lines

So when do u think the does was bread. To drop now ?

Well, one can't say for sure...because you don't know how long the doe carried, but I would guess that if the gestation is 201 days and the doe had plenty of food (they do on my lease) that would place the breeding at 11/2-11/4 which is right at the start of the predicted rut...so pretty much on schedule...I think we've had some on the ground a week, which would have put them about Halloween...but that's all just speculation...

Jim Boyd

Well, one can't say for sure...because you don't know how long the doe carried, but I would guess that if the gestation is 201 days and the doe had plenty of food (they do on my lease) that would place the breeding at 11/2-11/4 which is right at the start of the predicted rut...so pretty much on schedule...I think we've had some on the ground a week, which would have put them about Halloween...but that's all just speculation...

While this may be speculation up to a point, it is fact based and reasonable speculation.

Great work.

cr00241

I had one cross the road with the mom in front last week. It would put it around halloween also. She was a big doe. I am assuming that the mature does come into heat earlier.

Tight Lines

So I'd guess this doe wandered into this clearing, and then dropped this fawn shortly thereafter today...working backward that would put her being bred around November 13th, which is after the window that the DNR says is the rut in Wilkes...we started seeing them looking like they had been on a Jenny Craig diet about 2 weeks ago...which would put them being bred right after Halloween...and I'd say we have the majority of the fawns on the ground right now judging from the pics...

IMG_51CC7E4C4C8D-1.jpegIMG_3F64E9CCE846-1.jpeg

transfixer

I've got to get my cameras back out , and see if I can get any pics to get an idea of what new ones we have, might as well put some corn in one of the feeders, to get them to pose for pics.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Looks awful fresh to me also , with that gut she just might of had another rt after picture

Tight Lines

The clock says 14:29 and 14:35. Thats not enough time to drop and walk a fawn

True I know they can stand pretty quickly...maybe it is just the camera but looked brand new...I think it takes them several hours before they can walk. Also seems she might still be carrying? How far apart are twins and triplets?

bowhunterdavid

I saw two fawns in Wilkes county the first week of April. They looked a few weeks old to me. I was very surprised to see fawns that early in the year. Around highway 44 and highway 22 area.