Gar Fish

27metalman

I figured this would be the forum to ask for help. In my reading, I think 3 species of gar are in Georgia... the longnose, spotted, and Florida. Can some of ya'll post a pic of the spotted and Florida? I think we have all three species in some ponds I have access to, but maybe it's just a spotted with a color variation...? I'm in middle Georgia by the way.

27metalman

Alligator gar in TX, LA, and the gulf coast far as I know. I know people that have caught those out of state... these aren't alligator gars. Those things get big... I mean real big.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Are you sure it was a gator gar and not an oversize longnose gar?
Ive caught a many longnose. I was wading a riverbend fishing a crankbait. Had it almost reeled in to about 5 ft in front of me when i had a large gar, about 7 ft long come up and take a look at my crankbait . 5ft away clear water. It wasnt a longnose. I would say girth of that fish was about the size of a soccerball. Im not gonna say it was definitly a gator gar since there is so much going against that. But it was def. Not a longnose. I dont know what else it could be.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Longnose gar can get over six feet long. I've seen a couple over 5 myself.

Cool Hand Luke

Used to wade fish a spring fed river in FL. when I was a kid. Talk about spooky when a school of gar swim straight at you and part about the time the see you.

Barebowyer

Getting a longnose to actually measure out much over 60" is really, really, doing something regardless of where you are at. Caught them by the hundreds/thousands while commercially fishing and there's plenty out there in the 52-58" range but have seen very few exceed 60". They have been caught or known to reach 6 ft and 55 lbs or so.

BOWFINWHITT

Getting a longnose to actually measure out much over 60" is really, really, doing something regardless of where you are at. Caught them by the hundreds/thousands while commercially fishing and there's plenty out there in the 52-58" range but have seen very few exceed 60". They have been caught or known to reach 6 ft and 55 lbs or so.
I agree there is a big difference between a 52" and 58" as far as weight goes my personal best is 56" ..kinda like a gator .at some point they start getting heavier and wider.

ghadarits

I’d like to see a true alligator gar in GA. If you’ve seen an alligator gars head the difference is obvious. My dad swears they used to be in Blackshear when he was a teenager . That would have been early to mid 1950s.
Thats my Granddad from the same time frame at their cabin on Blackshear.

Attachments

• 994AD058-F2E1-4C59-AA26-109F218F1A0B.png
    994AD058-F2E1-4C59-AA26-109F218F1A0B.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 44

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Only one I’ve ever seen was at Tom Mann’s fish world in Eufaula when I was about 12-13. I assumed it came out of the lake but guess I was wrong.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Only one I’ve ever seen was at Tom Mann’s fish world in Eufaula when I was about 12-13. I assumed it came out of the lake but guess I was wrong.

I saw what was probably that same gator gar there sometime around 1974? Mr. Tom was there and I asked him about it, and he said he caught it in Lake Seminole.