Got my new Graph installed.

Ajohnson0587

A few weeks ago I finally decided to stop fishing blind and went out and bought a Graph. I spent a good bit of time researching and it came down to the Humming Bird and GARMIN, after getting some feedback from fellow member in the Freshwater section I decided on the GARMIN 73SV UHD with Side vue & Down scan. After watching about 10 different install videos I came up with my own idea for my power source, I decided to use an Optima RED top battery from by old Jeep that been sitting in my garage on a battery tender for almost 2yrs, it's rated at 50AH and is an AGM. This will give me plenty of power when on the lake all day and even when I fish tournaments in the future. But I also wanted something smaller and lighter for when I have short day trips, for this I decided on the Nocqua 10AH battery that is 3x3x3 in size and could be mounted inside the pod with all the remaining wires for the graph and transducer to keep dry. I ordered my parts from Amazon and brought home all my wiring tools and multimeter from work. After drawing out my wiring diagram I started to build my harness splicing the GARMIN power & ground circuits along with the Nocqua battery plug, the entire harness including the connectors & plugs are all water proof. I now have the ability to run the Nocqua or Optima Stand alone and simply unplug one or the other depending on which battery source I want to use. I also added a dual USB fast charging plug with Digital Volt meter. I took her out on Saturday and everything ran flawless, the Nocqua battery lasted me all day (7am to 6pm), I was able to find drop offs, structure, submerged grass, all in 20'-40' of water. Usually i'm banging the banks and fishing points, adding this graph has completely changed how I will be fishing in the future, especially knowing majority of fish have moved to deeper water this time of year.

Attachments

• graph 1.jpeg
    graph 1.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 53
  • graph 2.jpeg
    graph 2.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 55
  • graph 3.jpeg
    graph 3.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 50
  • graph 4.jpeg
    graph 4.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 53
  • graph 5.jpeg
    graph 5.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 49
  • grapg 6.jpeg
    grapg 6.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 46

GTFisher

That's awesome! I've really been itching to add one myself since all the bass are going deep this time of year. I'll probably pull the trigger soon.

Great looking setup though! Please keep us updated on how you're adjusting to it and if it is helping you to find more fish.

Ajohnson0587

That's awesome! I've really been itching to add one myself since all the bass are going deep this time of year. I'll probably pull the trigger soon.

Great looking setup though! Please keep us updated on how you're adjusting to it and if it is helping you to find more fish.

Pull the trigger now, don’t wait lol. I am catching fish like never before, especially in the deeper water. I have found several saddles on my local reservoir and have been pulling fish off of them like crazy. It’s a big help knowing what you’re fishing over and being able to find the areas where fish like to hang out in deeper water gives you the edge, this graph has added a ton of confidence to my fishing. I have yet to come home without catching 7-8 fish minimum, I’ve been fishing almost every weekend since I’ve had it.

Also, anyone looking to run a graph on your kayak, buy the Nocqua battery to run your graph. I have been using it exclusively and I have been able to fish 10+ hrs consistently. It’s small size makes it great for kayakers with limited space and weight.

GTFisher

Pull the trigger now, don’t wait lol. I am catching fish like never before, especially in the deeper water. I have found several saddles on my local reservoir and have been pulling fish off of them like crazy. It’s a big help knowing what you’re fishing over and being able to find the areas where fish like to hang out in deeper water gives you the edge, this graph has added a ton of confidence to my fishing. I have yet to come home without catching 7-8 fish minimum, I’ve been fishing almost every weekend since I’ve had it.

Also, anyone looking to run a graph on your kayak, buy the Nocqua battery to run your graph. I have been using it exclusively and I have been able to fish 10+ hrs consistently. It’s small size makes it great for kayakers with limited space and weight.
Thank you for the reply! Yes I'm officially looking for one right now. I found the same model you have now, I'm just negotiating with the seller as we speak. I like to do river striper fishing so side imaging is crucial.

Good info on the battery as well! I'll definitely keep that in mind once I get my finder.

I've been so frustrated going out to stone mountain lake, I know the bass are there, I just can't seem to get in to them.

Also, how is the size? It's not too cumbersome is it?

Ajohnson0587

Thank you for the reply! Yes I'm officially looking for one right now. I found the same model you have now, I'm just negotiating with the seller as we speak. I like to do river striper fishing so side imaging is crucial.

Good info on the battery as well! I'll definitely keep that in mind once I get my finder.

I've been so frustrated going out to stone mountain lake, I know the bass are there, I just can't seem to get in to them.

Also, how is the size? It's not too cumbersome is it?
Fish are consistently 16”-18” on average in the deeper water. Yesterday I pulled a nice 22” LM off a point where it dropped for 15’ to 22’. He hit the Texas rigged 12” zoom ol monster worm like a freight train after 2 bounces off the bottom.

Anvil Head

Did you mount your transducer inside the hull? I haven't mounted mine yet but thought inside might affect the side view feature.

Ajohnson0587

It will affect the SideVue if mounted inside the hull. My Transducer is mounted on the bottom of the dry pod that the graph is mounted on top of. I had to add some spacers to get it below the hull to make sure it didn’t affect the SideVue. I’ll get some pics when I get home from the lake.

Ajohnson0587

Ok, here are the pics of the transducer mounted to the bottom of the dry pod. The pod mounts in the center of the kayak which is why I had to add a spacer for the transducer to clear the hull. I debated using the articulating Transducer mounting arm from Yakattack, but i would of had to drill more holes into the kayak for a clean plug n play install. I wish graph manufacturers would come out with optional kayak transducers that have shorter wires, this would help eliminate some of the wire clutter.

Attachments

• 4D002724-D585-4822-A317-2E59BBCC3B66.jpeg
    4D002724-D585-4822-A317-2E59BBCC3B66.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 18
  • 3751339D-C4CE-485E-8CF2-1392CAAE76D6.jpeg
    3751339D-C4CE-485E-8CF2-1392CAAE76D6.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 0F099214-4E72-4BA3-BA8B-2597E8FE6329.jpeg
    0F099214-4E72-4BA3-BA8B-2597E8FE6329.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 0BC4FD05-5F1A-4CD9-B2A6-CFEA91FFA335.jpeg
    0BC4FD05-5F1A-4CD9-B2A6-CFEA91FFA335.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 18

Anvil Head

Thanks. Ok, I see what you did there. I have an old school Jackson Coosa SOT- no drypod hole. I'll have to figure a different type of rigging. The transducer on mine is just a hair to big to stick down through a scupper hole. Was a bit more concerned with bumping, scrubbing, etc in shallow water conditions. I do a lot of brackish backwater fishing on the coast. Sneak attack by a crab trap or oyster bar always possible.
I think the directions for my unit say the cables can be shortened (have to re-read to make sure). If that sucker was just a 1/4" narrower it'd pop right through the scupper. Looking hard at the eared positioning bracket (cast in place), may be able to trim it away and fabricate a different type of bracket that will slip through the hull.
Thanks again for your input and the additional pics.

Ajohnson0587

Thanks. Ok, I see what you did there. I have an old school Jackson Coosa SOT- no drypod hole. I'll have to figure a different type of rigging. The transducer on mine is just a hair to big to stick down through a scupper hole. Was a bit more concerned with bumping, scrubbing, etc in shallow water conditions. I do a lot of brackish backwater fishing on the coast. Sneak attack by a crab trap or oyster bar always possible.
I think the directions for my unit say the cables can be shortened (have to re-read to make sure). If that sucker was just a 1/4" narrower it'd pop right through the scupper. Looking hard at the eared positioning bracket (cast in place), may be able to trim it away and fabricate a different type of bracket that will slip through the hull.
Thanks again for your input and the additional pics.

Check out the YakAttack switch blade transducer mount.
https://www.yakattack.us/switchblade-transducer-deployment-arm-ffp-1001/

Anvil Head

Will do. Did go back and reread the manual on mine. Going to have to coil and stow excess trans cable (no cutting). Only the power cord can be shortened.
Did do some serious looking at the scupper holes and may be able to do a semi-permanent mount by passing the cable up through the hole and modifying the bracket mount to stay solid in place (I'm a bit of a shadetree fabricator). The scuppers align with fairly deep channels on the hull so that the trans will not hang down past the profile of the channel.
Still going to study the switchblade first - there's a place right here in Acworth that carries them.

Ajohnson0587

Will do. Did go back and reread the manual on mine. Going to have to coil and stow excess trans cable (no cutting). Only the power cord can be shortened.
Did do some serious looking at the scupper holes and may be able to do a semi-permanent mount by passing the cable up through the hole and modifying the bracket mount to stay solid in place (I'm a bit of a shadetree fabricator). The scuppers align with fairly deep channels on the hull so that the trans will not hang down past the profile of the channel.
Still going to study the switchblade first - there's a place right here in Acworth that carries them.
I’m not a big fan of putting holes in something that floats lol, so I think the YakAttack switch blade is a great option.

Anvil Head

As with most other SOTs the Coosa has two rows of scupper (holes) for drainage. No intention of drilling new holes through the hull bottom or top. Because I mostly fly fish standing up, I am not a big fan of having a lot of "extra" things sticking up, out, or over the deck and sides. Always looking for ways to keep a low smooth profile.

All that said, I am still looking into the switch blade option with the bat box. I'm a hands on guy so I have to see one in action/operation. Just want to make sure it doesn't impede my "dance" steps when targeting larger fish. The graph was a gift and I promised to use it. So.....I have to give it a try. Rarely fish deep anymore, but thought it'd be nice to find the cuts and drops in brackish areas.CarlGAR2.jpgRedfish Blue claw imi.jpg