New or Used UTV?

shdw633

I am considering getting a UTV and have been shopping around. I am quite stunned at the prices for UTV's!! My buddy just bought a Honda Pioneer and paid over $20,000 and that was before he bought the windshield, roof, upgraded tires and winch. I told him I could get him a vehicle that included the roof, windshield and upgraded tires as well a air conditioning and a radio for around $20,000 in the form of a new SUV!!!! So with all that being said, do you think the new ones are worth that kind of money or do you think I would be better off looking at something 4 or 5 years old even though I won't really know how it's been driven.

Worley

Really ur choice, I trust my hand on a wrench if needed. I’ve bought used everything I own and never been burnt. Now with UTV I’d check oil and see if fresh, check joints for tears / grease. Look underneath if it’s lived in the mud ya can’t hide it underneath frame and hidden crevices. If it’s muddy in those places stay away would be my advice. Water and Mud in EXCESS are cancer to those vehicles. Good luck, have fun and be safe!

Gaswamp

What do you want to use it for,?

Buford_Dawg

I was in same boat last year, sold my 4 wheeler and wanted a UTV. Shopped around and finally decided on buying new. You can get good deals in the out of state dealers, I ended up running up to SC one Saturday AM and buying. Literally saved thousands of dollars over my local dealers.

roscoe54

Bill you might try Shamrock Honda Kawasaki in Dublin I bought a Honda 700 Pioneer I got a good deal. Plus if you need anything done it's close by.

rayjay

I used to refurb JD riding mowers and had an HPX 4x4 Gator for a few years and still do a search on "John Deere" on CL and FB every few hours. One thing to watch is for rusted out frames. As was mentioned, if it's used in mud then the mud ends up trapped in various frame members and eventually rusts them out and the unit collapses in the middle. Even if not used in the mud the underside of the frame gets the finish knocked off by normal use and rust begins. It's just not as bad as mud.

On a JD you can about guarantee that the salisbury torque convertor front and rear clutches will need attention or replacement. Probably $800+.

The Tuff Torque transmissions were real crashboxes on the JD's I saw. Eventually the engagement dogs get beat up by the abuse and need expensive repairs. Probably $300 to $500+.

shdw633

What do you want to use it for,?

Mainly working around the lease, taking out feed and seed when working on foodplots, checking cameras, etc. Not really going to do any scouting with it, more of just getting around camp and to and from stands to hunt

shdw633

I'm looking at those as well but I want something that will get up and go if I need it. My buddy has one that barely does 25 with the pedal to the floor, that ain't going to work for me. I'm looking at that other one they just came out with a year or two ago but I don't think there are many used of them on the market right now.

shdw633

I used to refurb JD riding mowers and had an HPX 4x4 Gator for a few years and still do a search on "John Deere" on CL and FB every few hours. One thing to watch is for rusted out frames. As was mentioned, if it's used in mud then the mud ends up trapped in various frame members and eventually rusts them out and the unit collapses in the middle. Even if not used in the mud the underside of the frame gets the finish knocked off by normal use and rust begins. It's just not as bad as mud.

On a JD you can about guarantee that the salisbury torque convertor front and rear clutches will need attention or replacement. Probably $800+.

The Tuff Torque transmissions were real crashboxes on the JD's I saw. Eventually the engagement dogs get beat up by the abuse and need expensive repairs. Probably $300 to $500+.

Great info...thanks!!

Gaswamp

Mainly working around the lease, taking out feed and seed when working on foodplots, checking cameras, etc. Not really going to do any scouting with it, more of just getting around camp and to and from stands to hunt
U wud b good with a used model then....u can find them for sale with low hrs,...Kawasaki mule, Honda pioneer wud b good choices

buckmanmike

I love my elec golf cart. Lift kit, 23" tires, 700 amp controller and I can go everywhere except the deepest water. 10" water no problem. Stock motor but have an upgrade to install, just no time. If you have electricity available, consider it. I have less than $3500 invested in it. Way less than $20k.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I have a Pioneer 700 and love just about everything about the bike. It tops out at 43 and is loud at that speed so if you need more than that look to the pioneer 1000...which comes at a higher price tag.

I bought mine thinking I would replace the ATV and use it only at the farm, but have put about 600 miles on it just riding the backroads. Seems like we ride nearly every evening now. I did sell the ATV though

shdw633

Opps, saw where anything under 25 mph wont work. Did not know seed and feed had to deliver so quick. Good luck on your search.

I have a golf cart already for going to and from stands, want the UTV for working around the lease, which is 2000 acres so would like the speed to be higher than 25 in order for it not to take all day putting out corn to all the feeders.