Paging C. Killmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doghunter11

One of the issues that hasn't been brought up here yet is people with permits allowing friends to shoot bucks. Dnr finally caught up with individuals who had a permit on a field adjacent to our lease, they were shooting trophy bucks that I had on camera all summer. Then all of a sudden there are zero trophies on my cam. Game warden got involved and they were caught red handed killing these bucks. Oh they choose to shoot the bucks in late Aug and early Sept...go figure
I’m not so sure I would blame that solely on the permit. That happens all over the place without permits. Nothings going to stop some people from getting those mighty horns to hang on the wall and lie about the hard work they put in to get the kill

LittleDrummerBoy

Should all gun owners be punished for the bad actions of a few?

Should all hunters be punished for the bad actions of a few?

Then why should all farmers who need agricultural damage deer kill permits be punished for the actions of a few?

Because that is a one time expense and a long term solution and the cost spreads out over many years....and I believe you need to find another fence supplier if you are gonna be charged that much...just sayin.

Building fences on agricultural properties is not a one time expense. Fences require monitoring and maintenance and repair. If one includes labor costs, the fences I've built require 10-20% of their initial installation costs each year - closer to 20% in years with more storms.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
Painting all crop depredation permit hunters with a broad brush as bad or killing every deer they see is just as bad as saying all cops are racist and evil.

shdw633

Those of you fussing about the farmers, did ya`ll have a good supper last night? How about clothes to wear?

That argument only goes so far Nic. Do they enjoy the trucks they drive or the tractors and tools they use, do they enjoy the house they live in or the relationship with their financial and sales institutions, all of which are needed for them to farm successfully so you can eat that supper and wear them cloths. If the issue is so bad why do most of these farmers not allow hunters on their property. That's the situation I am around, i have heard of guys around our area killing 70 plus deer per year on those permits, yet the farmer doesn't allow anyone to hunt their land, not even through a lease. I would think that if the deer were that big of a problem you would be seeking hunters out during the season to reduce the herd size. Perhaps if the issue is so bad we should allow hunters in those counties to hunt at night with permits and thermals during the season as well and let them take bucks, surely that would help them out a lot. I had a farmer in Michigan who allowed me to hunt his land and I stated to him one day that I bet he was glad I was removing some of these deer off his property, his comment back to me was that if he wasn't a good enough farmer to feed a few deer and still make a profit than he would get out of the farming business.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That argument only goes so far Nic. Do they enjoy the trucks they drive or the tractors and tools they use, do they enjoy the house they live in or the relationship with their financial and sales institutions, all of which are needed for them to farm successfully so you can eat that supper and wear them cloths. If the issue is so bad why do most of these farmers not allow hunters on their property. That's the situation I am around, i have heard of guys around our area killing 70 plus deer per year on those permits, yet the farmer doesn't allow anyone to hunt their land, not even through a lease. I would think that if the deer were that big of a problem you would be seeking hunters out during the season to reduce the herd size. Perhaps if the issue is so bad we should allow hunters in those counties to hunt at night with permits and thermals during the season as well and let them take bucks, surely that would help them out a lot. I had a farmer in Michigan who allowed me to hunt his land and I stated to him one day that I bet he was glad I was removing some of these deer off his property, his comment back to me was that if he wasn't a good enough farmer to feed a few deer and still make a profit than he would get out of the farming business.

Most of them don`t want strangers traipsing around on their property, and I don`t blame them at all.

Bottom line is the food they grow is fuel for the body. Without it, you die.

transfixer

Another funny fact. Most the deer here are bucks. Some are nice. Few does. Come hunting season most the hunters bring in does and young bucks.
Them big bucks know where to eat and avoid hunters during the season.

Perfect example of why the either sex days need to be drastically reduced,, at least through the middle of the state

shdw633

Painting all crop depredation permit hunters with a broad brush as bad or killing every deer they see is just as bad as saying all cops are racist and evil.

I don't believe it falls on the permit hunters. It falls on the state and their hap hazard way of handling the program. Let an individual go out to a farmers field and poach a deer and they will hang him but then let a permit hunter gut shoot a deer so that it dies later somewhere else so that the farmer doesn't have to count it against his permits and that's ok. My friend has picked 3 does out of his sunflower garden this week alone that were all gut shot somewhere else and died on his property. The state needs to come up with a better solution, like having individuals obtain a license for deer removal. They would have to pass a training course and be licensed by the state and when a farmer has a deer issue then they must use these licensed individuals to reduce the burden on the farmer. Should they not follow the rules set forth they lose their license, or worse depending on the infraction.

shdw633

Most of them don`t want strangers traipsing around on their property, and I don`t blame them at all.

Bottom line is the food they grow is fuel for the body. Without it, you die.

Again, that argument don't fly. If it gets that bad I will grow my own. They do a service, no different than any other service out there. If they didn't make any money they wouldn't do it. And they are only strangers on the first day...after that they are individuals you know.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Perfect example of why the either sex days need to be drastically reduced,, at least through the middle of the state
I’m in SWGA. Now riding around we see doe after doe and young. Bucks.
I just find it odd how big bucks find the plots in the yard and come night and day.

I keep saying don’t shoot does there’s big bucks here. Most give in quick. That’s fine. 1st doe in plot gets shot. End of season I hear I didn’t kill a buck. ?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I don't believe it falls on the permit hunters. It falls on the state and their hap hazard way of handling the program. Let an individual go out to a farmers field and poach a deer and they will hang him but then let a permit hunter gut shoot a deer so that it dies later somewhere else so that the farmer doesn't have to count it against his permits and that's ok. My friend has picked 3 does out of his sunflower garden this week alone that were all gut shot somewhere else and died on his property. The state needs to come up with a better solution, like having individuals obtain a license for deer removal. They would have to pass a training course and be licensed by the state and when a farmer has a deer issue then they must use these licensed individuals to reduce the burden on the farmer. Should they not follow the rules set forth they lose their license, or worse depending on the infraction.

Bill, if that was to happen, most of these farmers and plantation owners would simply take matters into their own hands. It`s not a question if he`s a good farmer or not. If he`s not a good farmer to begin with, it won`t be deer that brings him down.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Again, that argument don't fly. If it gets that bad I will grow my own. They do a service, no different than any other service out there. If they didn't make any money they wouldn't do it. And they are only strangers on the first day...after that they are individuals you know.

I`m not arguing with you. I`m just telling you how it is. At least here in South Georgia. :)

shdw633

Bill, if that was to happen, most of these farmers and plantation owners would simply take matters into their own hands. It`s not a question if he`s a good farmer or not. If he`s not a good farmer to begin with, it won`t be deer that brings him down.

Isn't that what they are doing now, taking matters into their own hands. These permits are a joke. They are more like legalized poaching than anything else.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Isn't that what they are doing now, taking matters into their own hands. These permits are a joke. They are more like legalized poaching than anything else.

I don`t see it that way.

Ya`ll have a good day. I got to go plunder in the woods and swamp, and see how the deer are doing.

Regards. :cheers:

shdw633

I`m not arguing with you. I`m just telling you how it is. At least here in South Georgia. :)

I realize that's how it is in the south, but it needs to change because it's getting out of hand. :cheers:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Again, that argument don't fly. If it gets that bad I will grow my own. They do a service, no different than any other service out there. If they didn't make any money they wouldn't do it.
Wish I could grow a garden. ?
Too many deer ?
Grow your own then. Plus meat. Can’t have meat with out grain.
It ain’t a walk in the park.
Even free rangechicken are hard.

shdw633

Wish I could grow a garden. ?
Too many deer ?
Grow your own then. Plus meat. Can’t have meat with out grain.
It ain’t a walk in the park.
Even free rangechicken are hard.

Neither is being an appraiser, that's why I pay him to do what he does and he pays me to do what I do. I don't have an issue with a farmer wanting control over his land and the deer that are on it, I have an issue with how the state runs the program. The solution seems relatively simple in enlisting licensed depredation hunters, people taught the right and wrong way of performing the task and truly monitoring what is and isn't being killed on a particular property. It's ironic that we hear a lot about doe days and people wanting more of them and then have this discussion about permit hunting where all they are suppose to kill is the does.

buckpasser

They’re just a piece of the puzzle, like the rest of us working folks. Many items of clothing could and do come from poly anymore anyway. I’d personally have more respect for them if ag here was truly a capitalist venture instead of being so propped up.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Farmers never gave me anything I didn't pay for, so I'm not gonna put them on a pedestal. They are no different than anybody else trying to make a livin', no better no worse. And like Buckpasser says:

Buckpasser said:
I’d personally have more respect for them if ag here was truly a capitalist venture instead of being so propped up.

......they are extremely quick to ask .gov for help when times are tough. Lots and lots of debate to be had on that topic in the PF, but it is definitely not a capitalist market. Either way, I view them no different than the gas station attendant. I need gas to drive, he needs $$ to eat. It's a fair exchange.

Still, they have a right to protect what's theirs, just as the gas station attendant has a right to protect his store from looters.

LittleDrummerBoy

That's the situation I am around, i have heard of guys around our area killing 70 plus deer per year on those permits, yet the farmer doesn't allow anyone to hunt their land, not even through a lease. I would think that if the deer were that big of a problem you would be seeking hunters out during the season to reduce the herd size.

Having been the farmer, it's a challenge to find good, responsible hunters who will respect the property and be willing to focus on "reducing the herd size." In overpopulated areas, farmers need hunters to kill does - lots of them. I never minded hunters on our farm killing a big buck or two every year - as long as they took their limit of does along the way. But it took me years to weed out the hunters that hardly ever killed a doe - or wandered off and hunted my neighbor's property without permission - or left gates open - or were so inept that they scared off deer that other hunters on the property were trying to kill.

Also, it's hard for observers from a distance to know for sure that a farmer doesn't allow anyone at all to hunt their land. Maybe the farmer just limits hunting to the most trusted family and friends, and they go about their business discretely. I've known lots of farmers to tell people who ask "I don't allow hunting" when they really mean "I don't allow people I don't trust to hunt my land." Without trespassing, it's hard to know for sure whether hunting is happening on properties larger than 100 acres or so.

The rumors about what really happened on our farm were often far from the truth. Between jealous hunters who didn't get permission, animal rights activists, and gossips, all kinds of errant information was passed around. But the wildlife officials knew exactly how many deer we killed on damage permits, how many hunters we allowed during the season, and how many deer were legally killed by hunters during the season. Odds are against "what you've heard" being accurate information.

Status
Not open for further replies.