Shark attack in Maine

turkeykirk

If I see a seal in the water I ain’t going in.
Horrible way to go.

GeorgiaGlockMan

The TV reports said she was swimming with just a black wetsuit.

Look like a seal, get treated like a seal. They said it flipped her up out of the water and caught her coming back down.

ETA-seen it dozens if time on "shark week"

Horrible way to go with family watching.

zedex

Gator Bait
If I see a seal in the water I ain’t going in.
Horrible way to go.
We gots lots of seals around here but sharks arent the concern...... orcas are the issue. Those dudes are huge. Especially when you are in a kayak and a pod of orcas are nearby. They look big to begin with but they are a lot bigger when they are 30ft from the kayak

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
We gots lots of seals around here but sharks arent the concern...... orcas are the issue. Those dudes are huge. Especially when you are in a kayak and a pod of orcas are nearby. They look big to begin with but they are a lot bigger when they are 30ft from the kayak

There`s never been a fatal attack on people by wild orcas though.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
When you are a few miles from shore and the yak is flipped, it isnt an attack, but most likely a death, just the same

Probably so. Does it happen a lot?

zedex

Gator Bait
Happened a few times as I'm aware. It's the reason I quit taking my daughter out in the kayak. Now, we just paddle the lakes. Not likely a herd of aggressive trout will do much harm.

zedex

Gator Bait
I know it's not their intent, but when they get into a pack of seals or school of salmon, they get aggressive and very active especially when trying to herd them into tight groups.
We were out in the kayak and fishing was good but seals kept trying to steal fish from the stringer.

Then, suddenly fish and seals were erratic and the orcas broke the surface about 30ft from us.... close enough for us to get splashed. Things got crazy quickly. Rather than trying to paddle out of the area, I figured it's best we sit still. We could be confused for another predator if we moved.

After about 15 very long minutes, their party finally moved away far enough that I felt comfortable enough to make way for land

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I know it's not their intent, but when they get into a pack of seals or school of salmon, they get aggressive and very active especially when trying to herd them into tight groups.
We were out in the kayak and fishing was good but seals kept trying to steal fish from the stringer.

Then, suddenly fish and seals were erratic and the orcas broke the surface about 30ft from us.... close enough for us to get splashed. Things got crazy quickly. Rather than trying to paddle out of the area, I figured it's best we sit still. We could be confused for another predator if we moved.

After about 15 very long minutes, their party finally moved away far enough that I felt comfortable enough to make way for land

I can see where that would be nerve wracking.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
There`s never been a fatal attack on people by wild orcas though.

I have always wondered why that is?

They eat stuff bigger than us and they eat stuff smaller than us.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

That is strange for sure. Maybe there have been and all the evidence was eaten on the spot?

It`s hard to believe, but they`re in the Gulf of Mexico too.

turkeykirk

Was gonna show to my grandsons. My wife said she would kill me.A748E3C5-ECED-421D-A7B6-9D224C642BF8.gif

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
People need to realize, even at the Gulf, when you get over ankle deep in the water, you are no longer at the top of the food chain.
I've had an 8 - 10' Tiger shark swim by my boat in 4' of water south of Steinhatchee.
Thing was pushing quite a wake ahead of it.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
People need to realize, even at the Gulf, when you get over ankle deep in the water, you are no longer at the top of the food chain.
I've had an 8 - 10' Tiger shark swim by my boat in 4' of water south of Steinhatchee.
Thing was pushing quite a wake ahead of it.

Remember "Katherine", the 16 foot 3,000 pound great white that Ocearch placed a transmitter on? She came up all around Mexico Beach for a while.

Paleo

Dump Trump Movement CEO

Probably because the water is too cold for people to be swimming. Google up "fatal leopard seal attack" and you'll never go snorkeling in Antarctica again:bounce:

grouper throat

Terrible, but the chances were probably better to win the powerball than this incident. Not a smart thing wearing a black wetsuit and resembling a seal. Most folks have no idea how close so many sharks are to them while in saltwater. I have swam with several species but a white is on my bucket list.

Latest posts