George L. Smith State Park

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Thanks for posting. Good stuff.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Looks like a great place to visit.

TimBray

My wife and I were just talking about this place yesterday. Thanks for the video.

Oldstick

Thanks for that review. It is indeed a very nice place. Rode through there before but never had the chance to camp.

Go apply for a job at GPB, Blake. That sounds like a great idea for a new series. State parks in GA.

Last edited:

Worlldbeater

Thanks for the review, I have been planning to canoe the lake but have not got to it yet. I also think about camping there also.

Artfuldodger

Nice video and review. We went camping there years ago. Nice lake to fish, kayak, and camp in. Very popular campground so make a reservation on the weekend as suggested.
Loved all those cypress trees. Reminds me more of a swamp than a lake. Especially for this area. Close to Swainsboro as well.

Had a lot of Yellow flies on the hiking trail. Didn't see any in the campground though.

I think most of the sites are waterfront so you can leave your canoe/kayak in the water. That's a plus.

Artfuldodger

Thanks for that review. It is indeed a very nice place. Rode through there before but never had the chance to camp.

Go apply for a job at GPB, Blake. That sounds like a great idea for a new series. State parks in GA.
Yes, I just looked on You Tube and Blake had the most informative video about this park.
Made me want to visit again!

blakejeffers

Oldstick, Thanks for checking out the video. I would love to do a series for GPB but I can't seem to get the idea into the right hands. Maybe someone here has a connection!
Believe it or not, a few years back, I was on a Travel Channel show called "Travel Channel Star" where they had over 1,000 contestants fighting for a chance to be their next host. I finished runner-up and got to Travel several places across the US. Now that I have two kids of my own, I like the Idea of a potential series within the State. Who Knows, maybe one day?

Oldstick

No tied-in connections with me. That very notion would be a laugh riot among all the friends and family that know me.

But I really thought the charisma you showed in front of the camera was equal to most of the hosts on the GBP/GA travel shows. Just a little input from their professional script writers, to help fill in the total minutes they need, and you would be good to go, IMO.

sgtgacop

Heading there the weekend before Labor Day

wvdawg

Staff member
Well done! Kudos to your camera person too!

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
After watching your video, I went online and made a reservation!!! We are headed there next weekend with the camper in tow!!

Todd E

The cypress lake is really cool to yak in, but the campground was lacking for me.
The Mrs and I went there 2 years ago and put it on the don't go back list.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
The cypress lake is really cool to yak in, but the campground was lacking for me.
The Mrs and I went there 2 years ago and put it on the don't go back list.
We always try to pick the spot with most privacy so we can just chill. Had never been here but looked at a site map and picked the best of the bunch for sure...

Artfuldodger

Our campsite was pretty secluded, I don't remember which one it was. I did leave our canoe in the water. I would avoid the nature trail though, the yellow flies pestered us the whole way, lol. We actually ran towards the end to get off the trial.
1109017503_XWzNn-S.jpg

Artfuldodger

I can't see what number this one is but it looks cool. I didn't notice too many insects in the camping area. Noticed they hung there trash bag on the lantern pole. We do that too. Last trip at Clark's Hill the coons found it though.
177-2.png