I dyed, waxed, and put them up...

buckpasser

Here’s Mama staring at the possum that got hung up last night after I adjusted the pan tensions way down...

Maybe tonight’s the night!

E71D9C15-09E0-42B3-8FF6-DA209694F877.jpeg

buckpasser

Finally...

Success only occurred after the chicken was wired to an earth anchor and pan tension decreased. I’m a newbie, but this has been a humbling yet educational run!

82ACBCC5-9E53-4D23-93F7-D7CACDA42864.jpegA9AAB712-D6B5-477D-843E-AE20EDF8CD03.jpeg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Heck yeah bud , I knew you’d get em , now on to the rest of the family

buckpasser

Nice catch! What kind of traps are you using?

Duke #3s and MB550s (with light pan tension now!).

Edit: Even though these traps are NOT a #2, they are well within the legal jaw spread for GA. I don’t want anyone to think I’m knowingly or unknowingly outlaw trapping.

Last edited:

buckpasser

this looks like so much fun!, thank you for sharing!
JT

I’m enjoying it easily as much as hunting right now. I’m not that good at it, but that’s what’s keeping me going now. Also, I’m blessed to be able to trap at work which is huge as the time requirement is pretty intense.

buckpasser

Another good morning! I slept later than normal, but as I checked the covert set, this was there to greet me.

F190CF7D-EF92-4AE3-B423-A145F671494B.jpeg

Upon arrival this young female was caught. The strange thing was that she has basically stayed in one “triangle” instead of tugging in a circle, avoiding the other traps of the compass set. Was she aware of the other traps? Anyway, I was proud to catch two this week bringing my grand total to six. Also, one third of my total have been black which seems pretty high to me. Couldn’t be more pumped about trapping right now, knowing there’s that much less venison being consumed on the farm.

3A66B57E-3A90-4FE5-B61F-E80A37B945C6.jpeg884CD48C-4AF4-41EC-94E4-E4D471486C0A.jpeg

Doug B.

There you go! No stopping you now. I'm glad to see some catch pictures. Nothing can boost your confidence more than that!

antharper

Staff member
Beautiful coyote , congrats ! Was she the mama ? And I’m not sure about the other traps , everyone I’ve caught made a pretty good catch circle ! Oh and good job !

buckpasser

Beautiful coyote , congrats ! Was she the mama ? And I’m not sure about the other traps , everyone I’ve caught made a pretty good catch circle ! Oh and good job !

No, not Mama. There were no tracks around the field since that catch, so I think Big Mama finally got the point. Thank you Sir! I’m feeling good about this fall and winter. Surely I’ve made every mistake known to trapping man by now, so it’s got to get easier from here.

blt152

No, not Mama. There were no tracks around the field since that catch, so I think Big Mama finally got the point. Thank you Sir! I’m feeling good about this fall and winter. Surely I’ve made every mistake known to trapping man by now, so it’s got to get easier from here.
No, you'll keep making mistakes. We all do but now you know how to respond to those mistakes and profit by them!! Good job!! Tight Chains

goob

Awesome. I need to get into trapping too. Way to keep at it!

goob

Yes, you do need to get into it. It is very addictive!!

I've got about 10 traps I've had for years I just never followed through with it. I like the thrill of calling them in.

buckpasser

I've got about 10 traps I've had for years I just never followed through with it. I like the thrill of calling them in.

I spent a bunch of evenings predator hunting, but this is much more of a drawn out chess match type encounter. I enjoy trapping much more than hunting them. Plus, there’s something to checking a line every morning. Hope springs eternal and eventually you pull up on that beautiful sight of an apex predator in your possession. Being within arms length of a barking coyote is really cool too. If everyone tried it, the world would be overrun with trappers.

antharper

Staff member
I spent a bunch of evenings predator hunting, but this is much more of a drawn out chess match type encounter. I enjoy trapping much more than hunting them. Plus, there’s something to checking a line every morning. Hope springs eternal and eventually you pull up on that beautiful sight of an apex predator in your possession. Being within arms length of a barking coyote is really cool too. If everyone tried it, the world would be overrun with trappers.
Very well said and oh so true

furtaker

Same here. I used to love hunting them but got burned out since they are so hard to call in. Trapping them is 100x more fun.