Paging C. Killmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
How do you think the ban on netting came about so that more fish are available for you to catch. Fisherman complained to a point that it got put on the ballot and it was passed to ban the netting.
Y’all band shooting deer at night in orange groves yet and other Agricultural
Fie agricultural fields.
The bet band was for mullet ? Was it not.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Them fish for sportsmen to catch are not grazing in a mans field doing Unreversible damage. ?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
How do you think the ban on netting came about so that more fish are available for you to catch. Fisherman complained to a point that it got put on the ballot and it was passed to ban the netting.

I know how the net ban came about. I`ve been fishing down there since the early 1970s. I know, or knew, a good many folks, and that net ban put a lot of of hardworking people out of work. I don`t agree with it at all and the folks who implemented it deserve to be shot. I don`t know how many times I`d be taking out the same time a mullet fisherman would also be taking out, and I`d end up with several messes of fresh mullet in my ice chest along with my catch. Even though I was an "outsider", those folks treated us like friends and family.

The net ban ended a very long and traditional way of life for many. Don`t you remember all that?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I know how the net ban came about. I`ve been fishing down there since the early 1970s. I know, or knew, a good many folks, and that net ban put a lot of of hardworking people out of work. I don`t agree with it at all and the folks who implemented it deserve to be shot. I don`t know how many times I`d be taking out the same time a mullet fisherman would also be taking out, and I`d end up with several messes of fresh mullet in my ice chest along with my catch. Even though I was an "outsider", those folks treated us like friends and family.

The net ban ended a very long and traditional way of life for many. Don`t you remember all that?

I remember! I lived in Tally town then.
We would go to St George every year and mullet net. All of us kids did it with parents. Then take them back and dress them out.
We did it on the bay side.
Goodtimes and put some up for later.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I remember! I lived in Tally town then.
We would go to St George every year and mullet net. All of us kids did it with parents. Then take them back and dress them out.
We did it on the bay side.
Goodtimes and put some up for later.

Friend of mine up here in Lee County even had a mullet skiff with a well in the front. Those boats are probably collectors items now, if they all haven`t rotted away.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Friend of mine up here in Lee County even had a mullet skiff with a well in the front. Those boats are probably collectors items now, if they all haven`t rotted away.
That’s about what one of the parents had. He showed us how to stack the net in the boat and he’d make half circle runs and then we would pull the net together then get the gilled mullets. Restack the net. Give it time for more mullet to move in. Then do it again.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Tell you what I ain’t never seen before! So many bears that are causing damage and over populated and can hunt them to manage the numbers.
That’s Fla !
WTG Fla voters. ?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Tell you what I ain’t never seen before! So many bears that are causing damage and over populated and can hunt them to manage the numbers.
That’s Fla !
WTG Fla voters. ?

A big one crossed HWY 98 in front of us last summer about 5 miles east of Indian Pass Raw Bar. Middle of the day. A sho nuff big one was hit by a car and killed right in the edge of Wewa. That National Forest and Tate`s Hades is full of em.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
A big one crossed HWY 98 in front of us last summer about 5 miles east of Indian Pass Raw Bar. Middle of the day. A sho nuff big one was hit by a car and killed right in the edge of Wewa. That National Forest and Tate`s Hades is full of em.
They everywhere in those areas.
Looks like they would have a bear season. ?
Get some of that out of state lic hunters down there. Bring some local revenue ?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
My MIL used to live on dead lake. Every trip was a “I hope I see a bear” trip but never saw one ?
Saw a whopper alligator out the creek from her dock. I got my crap up and went back to the house ?
That place was swarming with ducks during winter time too

Buckstop

Very true about the net ban in FL. Sad end to another traditional way of life. Commercial fishermen were part of our community once, then suddenly got painted as villains, like harvesting and selling seafood that is consumed by those that arent able to do it themselves was something shameful. And at least in my area of east central FL, the amount of fish in our river and lagoon now is a only a fraction of what it was when the net ban went in to effect. Its been WAY more about water quality decline than overfishing ever was. Louisiana seems to be doing pretty well without a net ban.

GSPEED

Well I said I was done but guess not. Any of you no it alls that want to come up and show me different come on. CNF is 750,000 acres so there’s plenty of room but you might want to look at the DNRs numbers first as there was 813 deer checked not counting WMAs and on there game check it shows 84 on them and I’m sure this isn’t correct so we’ll double that number so 981 was killed on CNF, so there’s 640 acres in a square mile which equals 1,171.87 square miles divided by 981 equals 1.19 deer was killed per square mile so compare this to where you are hunting. It wasn’t always like this but with the regulations changes over the years the deer have declined with the DNR blaming habitat and predators and I’m sure this didn’t help but they were the real predators. No deer means no calls for illegal hunting and no reasons to check anyone. This is public land that they are in charge of and supposed to, how did you say it, meet the needs and desires of the people.
Beating on Mr. Killmaster is not gonna accomplish anything.

If fact, it lessens other people’s opinion of you - or I should say it does in my case.

If you are trying to catch a 10 lb bass and there ain’t one in that pond you are fishing, you gotta head for another pond.

I live, hunt, lease and own a farm in central southern SC. Generally speaking, we don’t have many big bucks. My chances of taking a 150 class whitetail here are near zero and I know that.

Come November each year, I am headed N and W to where there are giant bucks.

IMO the state and federal agencies work very hard to meet the needs and desires of the people.

Note that I said - “of the people”.

Not one group of the people. The mountainous areas are used for far more than deer hunting.

When we start thinking that we need more government to meet the needs of what is a relatively small group we are in trouble indeed.
At no time was I disrespectful to Mr Killmaster and if I was I apologize even though I disagree with what he’s saying and wasn’t trying to accomplish anything by getting on this forum but voice my opinion, with that being said I really don’t care what your opinions of me is as you don’t live here or hunt here and haven’t seen what has happened. Not looking for a 10 pound bass but maybe a few bream and chances of killing a spike here is getting close to zero. I’ve hunted in the Midwest but I want hunt where I grew up hunting and would have like to have taken my grandson one day to those places. The mountains are being used for everything but deer hunting now and we’ve been in trouble for the last 20 years with these regulations.
Reading this thread kind of cements in my mind why some guys kill a lot of deer and others sit by the fire. There is a confluence of events in NGA that isn't in the control of the state. Unless the forests are managed for the game, and a whole bunch of other factors happen like food sources, then relocating the game is a short term death sentence. Whitetail, quail, and turkey all need a balance of habitat, food, water, and predator limitations to succeed. North Georgia forests are pretty, but unfortunately they don't have the habitat required for a lot of whitetail.

I grew up in Kansas, and I am passionate about fly fishing, even more so than hunting. But dang, no matter how we tried, getting those big bows and browns to live and spawn in our silty warm rivers just never worked. Now, we tried to get the state in increase the gradient, bring in a couple of million metric tons of limestone and rock, pump clean cold water out of the aquifer and put a canopy over the creeks to keep the temperatures from rising. All the while trying to get the farmers to keep their cattle out of our artificial stream. The state and the farmers said no.

So, I bought a fish tank insteadand traveled to Colorado to fish for proper trout...and I killed pheasants, deer, and quail along those warm, silty streams...
You’re right as I’ll be setting by the fire this as I did last year. It’s always been in the hands of the state as the Forest Service isn’t going to do anything and they didn’t have any say in hunting regulations. But you made a great point about trout fishing as apparently they were over populated and needed herd reduction and a few years ago the DNR opened trout season year around.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Well I said I was done but guess not. Any of you no it alls that want to come up and show me different come on. CNF is 750,000 acres so there’s plenty of room but you might want to look at the DNRs numbers first as there was 813 deer checked not counting WMAs and on there game check it shows 84 on them and I’m sure this isn’t correct so we’ll double that number so 981 was killed on CNF, so there’s 640 acres in a square mile which equals 1,171.87 square miles divided by 981 equals 1.19 deer was killed per square mile so compare this to where you are hunting. It wasn’t always like this but with the regulations changes over the years the deer have declined with the DNR blaming habitat and predators and I’m sure this didn’t help but they were the real predators. No deer means no calls for illegal hunting and no reasons to check anyone. This is public land that they are in charge of and supposed to, how did you say it, meet the needs and desires of the people.
At no time was I disrespectful to Mr Killmaster and if I was I apologize even though I disagree with what he’s saying and wasn’t trying to accomplish anything by getting on this forum but voice my opinion, with that being said I really don’t care what your opinions of me is as you don’t live here or hunt here and haven’t seen what has happened. Not looking for a 10 pound bass but maybe a few bream and chances of killing a spike here is getting close to zero. I’ve hunted in the Midwest but I want hunt where I grew up hunting and would have like to have taken my grandson one day to those places. The mountains are being used for everything but deer hunting now and we’ve been in trouble for the last 20 years with these regulations.
You’re right as I’ll be setting by the fire this as I did last year. It’s always been in the hands of the state as the Forest Service isn’t going to do anything and they didn’t have any say in hunting regulations. But you made a great point about trout fishing as apparently they were over populated and needed herd reduction and a few years ago the DNR opened trout season year around.

So what happen to the deer ?
Why are they GON !

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
There’s nothing that the state Dnr can do with federally owned National Forest as far as habitat management. They can only do what the feds let them do which is pretty much nothing.
The best thing that could happen for the deer and grouse would be for a fleet of hydro axes and log skidders to show up and not leave for a few years. That’s not going to happen probably ever in our lifetimes

GSPEED

So what happen to the deer ?
Why are they GON !
We got blanketed in with the intentional herd reduction by opening season through December then into January and yes I know it closes December 31 on CNF not that it stopped people from hunting, and if you didn’t know or remember for years you could kill a doe all season with archery on CNF. And somewhere they just stopped any kind of enforcement. Lots of people were hunting here then and didn’t take them long to figure it out. Mr. Killmaster said in a earlier quote that people weren’t reading the regulations on no doe days but what they are reading is no enforcement. Our hunting regulations have become suggestions. Also crossbows in archery season,scopes on muzzleloaders,baiting and yes I know it’s illegal on CNF, and now you can hunt with a air rifle as all of this was for herd reduction and nothing wrong with these individuality but with predators and habitat you can’t do it all and have a huntable population.

GSPEED

There’s nothing that the state Dnr can do with federally owned National Forest as far as habitat management. They can only do what the feds let them do which is pretty much nothing.
The best thing that could happen for the deer and grouse would be for a fleet of hydro axes and log sliders to show up and or leave for a few years. That’s not going to happen probably ever in our lifetimes
I agree with that but they can change regulations to help with the population. Not many people hunting here anymore so what’s it going to hurt to try. No doe days is a start but probably not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.