Sawtooth oaks dropping acorns

GeorgeShu

I have several sawtooth oaks in my yard, planted them about 10 years ago. They produce well most years. This year they are loaded. They are dropping brown acorns now and the deer had a party under them last night.
Seems they are a little early this year but then againI don’t get to set their schedule.

madsam

I was thinking the same on my Sawtooth's. They are flat loaded and dropping
early. My pear tree has produced pears by the bucket load and we got
nothing off of it this year. Mother Nature.

Gary Mercer

My old friend in the back yard, The Black Gum, is starting to turn. It is always the first, but usually the end of August.
Momma's going to send us an early Fall.

Cmp1

BANNED
Any of you guys know if they would survive here? Are they hard to propagate from acorns?I'd be game to giving it a try if I could get some acorns from you guys, we've got plenty of Maples here if interested,,,,

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My old friend in the back yard, The Black Gum, is starting to turn. It is always the first, but usually the end of August.
Momma's going to send us an early Fall.

Blackgums are the first turn here too, Mr. Gary. I need to check some of our local trees. I`m hoping for an early Fall.

ClemsonRangers

Any of you guys know if they would survive here? Are they hard to propagate from acorns?I'd be game to giving it a try if I could get some acorns from you guys, we've got plenty of Maples here if interested,,,,

i think they wood.....

my mother planted some acorns , maybe 20, they are probably 30' tall now

I have several sawtooth oaks in my yard, planted them about 10 years ago. They produce well most years. This year they are loaded. They are dropping brown acorns now and the deer had a party under them last night.
Seems they are a little early this year but then againI don’t get to set their schedule.

I had a tree abort early last year. I have over a 100 trees that are 23 years old. One of the trees aborted all the acorns around this time. They all dropped in the matter of a few days. Nothing ate them. All my other trees were fine. I noticed yesterday that some of the leaves on mine are turning brown while others are bright green still. I hope this is not an indication of disease or stress.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Mine are 8 years old and are loaded for the first time this year, but only 1/3 or so actually matured to a full size acorn. I’m hoping this will improve as the trees mature. They are still green as of now. There are some trees one county south of me that are already dropping though.