Do you find it ethical to shoot a wild hog and let it lay?

Do you find it ethical to shoot a wild hog and let it lay.

• Total voters
As a wise philosopher said in a great movie "Worms gotta eat too"!

The big ones I trap I bury, brucellosis can be spread by scavangers further bespoiling other animal populations which might make it back to me! Shoats go to the smoker;). State DNR wants them dead regardless!

Last edited:

hambone76

I won’t leave meat to spoil if it’s palatable. If it’s too far to drag outta the woods I’ll quarter, debone and load onto my pack frame. I’ve field quartered and packed out quite a few and I believe that I can do all of the quartering/deboning and still pack it out faster than I can drag it out of the woods.

DynamicDennis

A/R with cheapo solid points, let em rip tater chip. Hope they run away from your spots. In all fairness, if I can drive to them I will take back and see if anyone wants it. Rare occasion if its a slick belly sow, 150 or smaller I may entertain cleaning.

Kill them all! Let the buzzards and coyotes sort them out. They gotta eat too. Seriously, hogs are an invasive species and an omnivore. They will eat anything they can get in their mouth - quail eggs, turkey eggs, agricultural crops, pecans, fruit, and will destroy all habitats with their rooting. I too hate to let good food go to waste, but these animals must be stopped in order to protect the natural resourses and habitats of this state as well as protect the crops that are the livelihood of our farmers. So I may get criticism, but I remove all I see, big'uns, little'uns and anything in between. Maybe I will get a chance to take a 'yote off the carcass of a hog I shot. Kill them all!

DynamicDennis

Kill them all! Let the buzzards and coyotes sort them out. They gotta eat too. Seriously, hogs are an invasive species and an omnivore. They will eat anything they can get in their mouth - quail eggs, turkey eggs, agricultural crops, pecans, fruit, and will destroy all habitats with their rooting. I too hate to let good food go to waste, but these animals must be stopped in order to protect the natural resourses and habitats of this state as well as protect the crops that are the livelihood of our farmers. So I may get criticism, but I remove all I see, big'uns, little'uns and anything in between. Maybe I will get a chance to take a 'yote off the carcass of a hog I shot. Kill them all!

Preach on.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have cleaned and eaten every one I've ever killed, but I see no problem with just killing them either. They are a non-native, invasive scourge on the land. I don't feel bad about killing a wharf rat in my barn and leaving it, either.

Also, nothing ever "goes to waste" in nature. If you didn't shoot that hog, it's still gonna be laying dead in the woods one day. It is a fact.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I have done it on Texas deer leases.

On a few we've had more hogs than you could imagine.

I'd still be cleaning hogs.

I will cut up a clean pig in a heart beat.

This one was a dandy!

Attachments

• 20200829_090918.jpg
    20200829_090918.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200829_090936.jpg
    20200829_090936.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 41

sleepr71

They move onto our place in the Hot Summer months..and wreak havoc! Long creek bottom/swamp on the border..so they move in for water & somewhere to wallow. That’s when we catch the majority..when it’s 90+ degrees?. We aren’t fighting Yellow Jackets,Ticks,and sweating our behind off..for a stinking hog?? Let the Worms & Buzzards eat?

Liberty

If there was pigs on my place I'd hunt them instead of deer and turn my deer cleaning spot into a smokehouse. Plenty of hickory here,

sleepr71

Take some advice from me...if you don’t have pigs..you don’t want them? Legalized “Baiting” in GA has helped them to take up residence in places they’ve never been a problem before..and they won’t leave until they are dead,or all of the food is gone. It’s a 24/7/365 effort to keep them knocked back?

Dr. Strangelove

Yes, but with reservations because I was taught to eat what I kill fish & game wise by my grandfather.

They didn't have invasive hogs in his day.

Liberty

Take some advice from me...if you don’t have pigs..you don’t want them? Legalized “Baiting” in GA has helped them to take up residence in places they’ve never been a problem before..and they won’t leave until they are dead,or all of the food is gone. It’s a 24/7/365 effort to keep them knocked back?

You're right that I don't want them. If they ever do show up and start competing with our beautiful whitetails, I'll shoot and smoke them when it gets cold. Deer have enough problems without invasive species eating their acorns. Plus I don’t want any mean pigs where my family plays.

north_ga fireman

I will clean everyone that don’t reap havoc on our property,the cows have priority on the farm so a dead hog that don’t get processed ole well.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
I find it unethical to let one walk wether you’re going to eat it or not.
Whole shebang in a nutshell right here. It's why I don't worry. Might skin one. Might leave one laying. The obligation to shoot and the obligation to eat an animal don't coexist. If I see a pig or a coyote, I have to shoot. I can let a game animal walk if need be. That needs to sink in