Clover and Daikon Radishes

toolmkr20

When is the best time to plant clover and Daikon radish? Would planting them together in the same plot be ok? New to plots other than winter wheat.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
And for the record, I am between Macon and Columbus (south east of you?) and I will be planting a 1/2 acre strip of turnips and radish this weekend. Soil temp's are mid 70's, but there is rain in the forecast and night time temperatures head down into the 60's. The balance of my plots will be planted in 3-4 weeks.

toolmkr20

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I plan on planting over the next two days if I can work it out. If not it will have to wait until next week sometime.

Canuck5

And just a thought ...... you can plant your radish now and wait until there is cooler temperatures to plant you clover(s). Clover is such a tiny seed you can broadcast right over top your radish, when soil temperatures are a little more to the liking of clover. You can broadcast wheat, at that same time too, since wheat will germinate anywhere. Maybe October first?

If you do that, just don't go hog wild on the radish seeding rate. Maybe 5-7 pounds to the acre?

Seeding rates.JPG

Canuck5

And because they are so cheap, maybe add 2 pounds of purple top turnips in there. 4-5 pounds of daikon radish, 2 pounds of turnips/acre for starters.

Then 40 pounds/acre of wheat. Clover will be dependent on how many acres, you're planning to do and if you can buy your seed by the pound, from your source.

toolmkr20

Well here is the beginning. Hopefully this rain coming in will help it out.

Attachments

• C1D9CBBF-2781-478A-9D04-01A568F7949F.jpeg
    C1D9CBBF-2781-478A-9D04-01A568F7949F.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 32
  • E33827C4-5BDA-483E-8F66-3679298B8D10.jpeg
    E33827C4-5BDA-483E-8F66-3679298B8D10.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 425C6F15-4A0E-440D-9C46-CC5453BD86DB.jpeg
    425C6F15-4A0E-440D-9C46-CC5453BD86DB.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 32

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Canuck5

Do they have 0-20-20?

I believe Mid-Grain has 0-20-20, but for the last couple of years, when I broadcast fertilizer over top, I have been using 8-24-24 that Woodbury has.

Broadcasting on top, I do favor and lose some of the Nitrogen, which is fine, but (I believe), there is no filler in 8-24-24, so I get the best of the P&K. I still battle grass every year, so what the heck, what's a little nitrogen?

8-24-24 was $16/bag

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Moss & sons in Pine Mountain has 8-24-24 as well and I agree on the grass. I thought I had killed it dead as a dead pig in the sunshine last year but it made a miraculous recovery in the intervening time period. So did the milk thistle.

Canuck5

Dang grass!!!! It just never goes away!!!!!!!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Definitely not on my place Canuck. I can kill it dead rite there down to clay hardpan in September and come March we're right back where we started from.

Canuck5

Yeah, I killed a bunch (fingers crossed) last weekend, but it always makes a valiant return!

toolmkr20

Starting to sprout. I think I need to put just a little more seed out. What do you fellas think. From the ground it looks like it’s a putting green, from the tree it looks a little thin. I should’ve took a from the ground pic but was in a hurry to get up the tree.

C42C0EBE-FCB4-4ED4-A45D-F638A7E706A3.jpeg

Canuck5

What did you end up planting and how many pounds of each did you use? A close up picture would be good, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to put out more seed yet.

Just as a reference, these purple top turnips were planted on 9/11/2020, with some wheat and then Sally came thru. I got good germination, but I think I planted them too thick.

Mo's gasline turnips 9-11-2020 one week old.JPG

toolmkr20

I planted that entire bag we spoke of and the 1# bag of mixed greens. I still need to put out some fertilizer like you mentioned. Maybe next week right before the rain.