2020 Oglethorpe County

Triple C

Great to see you in here BR! Best thread on the forum! And even more, congrats on now being an OC property owner. I feel more at home in OC than I do in ATL. Great bunch of guys in here.

Big_Red

Thanks Triple C. You are my inspiration and mentor.

Having work done by the OC forestry folks Friday and can't wait! Food plots first year is awesome.

Arrow3

Welcome Big Red. Maxeys is a hot zone for Rattlesnakes so be careful. Im good friends with the Cabaniss' who own the big dairy in Maxeys. They kill plenty of rattlers every year.

BD .... id like to hear more about the Rattlesnake from Sandy Cross. Ive never seen one on this side of the county. I was thinking that the guy got bit down by the Vineyard area. I was also thinking it was a copperhead but I may be wrong.

Buford_Dawg

Brandon, happened in Oct 2009 and was south of 78 HWY, for some reason thought it was between 78 and SC. There were several discussions about it here on Woodys. Here is one of them and provides full details - https://forum.gon.com/threads/snake-bite.423252/page-2

A Winder man died Saturday morning after a rattlesnake bit him while he was hunting in Oglethorpe County with his grandson.

Dick Rupert, 68, got bitten in the calf at about 7:30 a.m. by a small rattlesnake in the woods off Thaxton Wynne Road south of U.S. Highway 78, Oglethorpe County Coroner James Mathews said.

Triple C

Thanks Triple C. You are my inspiration and mentor.

Having work done by the OC forestry folks Friday and can't wait! Food plots first year is awesome.
Post up some before and after pics of what they get accomplished tomorrow. Got a feeling with the D5 dozer they gonna make you proud. Other guys might wanna use em to clear logging decks, disc and improve interior roads.

Arrow3

Brandon, happened in Oct 2009 and was south of 78 HWY, for some reason thought it was between 78 and SC. There were several discussions about it here on Woodys. Here is one of them and provides full details - https://forum.gon.com/threads/snake-bite.423252/page-2

A Winder man died Saturday morning after a rattlesnake bit him while he was hunting in Oglethorpe County with his grandson.

Dick Rupert, 68, got bitten in the calf at about 7:30 a.m. by a small rattlesnake in the woods off Thaxton Wynne Road south of U.S. Highway 78, Oglethorpe County Coroner James Mathews said.
Yeah that's the one I was thinking about. Down at the Vineyard. I don't know why I was thinking it was a copperhead. Not saying there isn't a rattlesnake around sandy cross , i just haven't ever heard of or seen one.

Big_Red

Here is my response to Triple C avatar pic and before of the loading decks.

Attachments

• 02CEA00F-9B38-463C-911E-9245890D9C6A.jpeg
    02CEA00F-9B38-463C-911E-9245890D9C6A.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 6A3EC6C9-C051-42D7-8535-EC301ABBFAC8.jpeg
    6A3EC6C9-C051-42D7-8535-EC301ABBFAC8.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 54F6A2EF-96E3-41C7-A340-E6BAF0CA2200.jpeg
    54F6A2EF-96E3-41C7-A340-E6BAF0CA2200.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 30

Triple C

B_R - Can already visualize a fire-pit in the 2nd n 3rd pics. Along with a couple of fingers of Bulleit Bourbon. Look forward to seeing what that dozer gets done today!

Triple C

You more then likely won't ever see a rattlesnake on your place and you'll never see a cottonmouth this far north.

Any thoughts on why no one seems to run across timber rattlers north of 78? Son sees em fairly regularly in Oconee County. As for the water moccasins, I was visiting my cousins place in Hancock County a few years back and as we were passing by a small pond a moccasin was drifting across the top of the pond. I figured the wetlands on my place would be covered up in em. To your point that we're too far north, I've set on the edge of a weedy beaver pond for hours over the years watching for one and never seen one. But I still wouldn't want wade into that thing.

Hughy

Got in the stand this afternoon at 3:00. Got out of the stand at a little after 4:00, due to a severe thunderstorm, with no intentions on going back. Luckily I changed my mind and eased back in around 6:00. At 7:15 it all came together. I’ve been watching this guy all summer. He’s been showing up an hour before dark almost everyday for weeks. Shot him at 10 yards quartering away. I caught one lung and center punched the heart. He ran about 75 yards with a Ray Charles blood trail.
He’s one of two bucks that’s still holding on to their velvet. He injured it almost 3 weeks ago at the end of his beam. I got him in the freezer as soon as I could get some pictures and cape him out. Praying the velvet can be preserved so to have it on the mount.
Big thanks to Arrow3 and ToddE for hanging out and helping with pictures and skinning.
Good luck to you guys. Looking forward to seeing and reading about everyone’s success this season.4AA377D6-5C46-4973-9E3F-DA3EED87B8D4.jpeg