What are you carrying opening morning?

Hillbilly stalker

I have a couple of in lines also..... but the old traditional ones just seem to have a soul and there’s something special about them. You seldom see a used one for sale, seems there is a connection with a man, I believe that’s why most of them have names.

Darkhorse

I start hunting towards the end of October, closer to the rut. That's the best time to kill a good buck. Years of bowhunting during the early season and all the skeeters, and other bugs and the heat and humidity have about cured me of that.
I hunt the regular gun season with my flintlock, I carried my .308 twice last year. And being retired I hunt almost daily.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I start hunting towards the end of October, closer to the rut. That's the best time to kill a good buck. Years of bowhunting during the early season and all the skeeters, and other bugs and the heat and humidity have about cured me of that.
I hunt the regular gun season with my flintlock, I carried my .308 twice last year. And being retired I hunt almost daily.
You sound like me. I don't like to start hunting until it gets cooler and I carried my muzzleloader exclusively last year.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I'm outta sausage...Gonna smoke the first thing that steps into range. Hoping 9/30 is the day, skeeters, chiggers, snakes and all...:LOL:

GAHUNTER60

.50 cal. Thompson Center Hawken rifle (circa 1978-ish?). The gun was rebarreled about 25 years ago with a Green Mountain, 1-28" drop-in, because someone (I'm not pointing fingers) forgot to clean the original factory barrel after a range session, causing accuracy to go south -- waaaaay south!

I'm shooting 90 grains of 777 under a 385-grain Hornady Great Plains bullet. Accuracy is excellent with this combo out to a little over 100 yards. I've yet to take a deer with this load (having taken a truck load with TC Maxi Balls), but I'm told it will pretty much flatten, field dress, skin and quarter any animal smaller than an Indian Gaur. (I certainly hope this is true: would save a fortune on meat processing!) :LOL:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Went out in the yard this afternoon and touched off my old '79 CVA big bore Mountain Rifle .54 flintlock that's been loaded since this time last year. Put some powder in the pan, pulled the trigger, and it went BOOM!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I retired my old CVA St. Louis Hawken that my dad bought me a couple years before he died. I wouldn't even want to start counting how many deer I've killed with that rifle.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Back in the 60’s I had some cousins and uncles from WNC and Tellico Tenn that came every year to hunt with us. They hunted from Sept thru Jan somewhere with their muzzle loaders. Most were old flintlocks even back then. Makes me wonder where those old guns got off to. I could tell some campfire stories about them days. I was nine years old when I carried my cousin from Tennessee to show him my squirrel hunting tree. A spike came running up to the tree and he let me kill it with his old flintlock. Them men were tough as a lighter knot. WW2 Veterans and always had a cigarette in their mouth and a bottle in their pocket. Always.

deermaster13

Got mine out yesterday. The one on the left is my favorite. My Pop bought a matching pair when he retired, gave me this percussion cap and he kept the flintlock. It's a 54 caliber. I left it loaded since last season but as usual no issues. Put another 2 rounds thru it and cleaned it up. If my grandson doesn't go Saturday morning at least I'm ready. Enjoy seeing the fine looking muzzle loader y'all post.

Attachments

• IMG_20201004_095222.jpg
    IMG_20201004_095222.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20201004_095248.jpg
    IMG_20201004_095248.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 25

buckpasser

There are some cool guns shown in this thread. I’ll be toting a 15 year old CVA piece of crap...haha.

wedgebolt

Nothing wrong with a 15 year old ***. One of my favorites is a 20 year old CVA that fell out of the ugly tree. I will be using the .54 on the right that I just acquired. After that it will be my old reliable ***. The ones that are shown were fired this weekend at the Long Range Shoot on Fort Stewart. I did not attempt a long range shot. I brought them out for the MWR crew to shoot. I like looking at the old ugly ones.

Attachments

• Black powder.jpg
    Black powder.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 32

Darkhorse

Hey Wedgebolt, How about the details of the 1st (left), and 3rd (right) rifles.

Buford_Dawg

Either be a modern TC or modern CVA, both shoot straight, just looking to get into the woods and enjoy the scenery.