Father Son DIY AK moose hunt.

twincedargap

Did my first AK DIY last year to take a caribou. Decided to go back this year after a moose, or two. With an 11 day season two would be unlikely, but a possibility.

Got there a few days early to go up the haul road to scout some grounds and see if it makes sense for a future low budget caribou hunt. So bought a bou tag just in case we saw a good one, but also knew we could apply the tag to a black bear during our moose hunt if I didn’t take a bou.

We saw moose, wolf, Artic fox, caribou, dall sheep as we drove all the way up and above Happy Valley. Caribou were still just ones and twos, we didn’t want to go any further as we still wanted time to fish. We found the grayling to be abundant and hungry. We also suffered the typical flat tire on the haul road, but our windshield survived

Got back to Fairbanks and spent a day checking our gear in and weighing with the air taxi, also shooting the rifle on a public range. 300 yd range, free, no cost. So flew in the field the next morning, a day and half early which allowed room for a weather delay w/ch isn’t uncommon in AK, but also to set camp, do some pike fishing, and scouting before the season opened.

Didn’t see any moose until the season opened, but then only a cow for a day and a half, mostly in same place each morning and evening. No real bull sign to be found, but did find some sheds.
67025205-C077-403E-AF52-75B8DBAF5BCA.jpeg
E10FECAE-B2F3-46F1-87F6-D697C857B3E3.jpeg
After five days with not a moose seen, we moved to the opposite side of the lake, about a mile via our packraft. We’d found good sheds there and an area we could hike to a smaller secondary pond and some additional
Marshy fields and swamp holes. I did manage to take a small black bear, fresh meat in camp was awesome
E1D5EC2A-CE23-4681-B266-984D6AB6F3BC.jpeg

On the night before our last hunt day, we finally have a small bull come to our calls and gets to within 50 yds of camp. We’d been 8 days since last seeing the cow, so we were excited to finally seeing something with a rack and not going home completely skunked.
894A215A-357E-426A-A786-E1C26B7EFDB1.jpeg
The next morning we called the same bull into camp along with a medium size bull that was with him. After they left, that same cow appeared in the usual spot about 1 mile from us. No bull was with her. We only had until noon that day to hunt as we’d fly our first thing the next morning. It takes 6-10 hours to break down and pack out a moose, so noon left us not much time to also break down camp.
AA4C87BB-E368-436E-942E-5E01072236CE.jpeg
So after the cow left we continued to call but saw nothing. We decided to hike about a mile further from camp
And call at the second lake. After an hour of nothing, moved again, but this time closer to camp, maybe a 1/2 mile. As we set up to call, we saw a great moose raking across the wet grassy area about 350 yds away.
7A73DE56-40C6-41F0-AADA-D3B8CE9090F6.jpeg
We called it to our side of the opening and he destroyed brush and trees all along our wood line but didn’t present a shot. Called again softly and he slowly cut the distance to 60’yds or so
my son shot him with 7mm RM 3x and he finally tipped over. What an amazing feeling to hunt 11 days, 13 days in field, and finally connect with a bull, a bull of a lifetime, and only have just over an hour left in the hunt.
CF5E65A6-E157-4CFF-81BC-5B62554E5F7F.jpeg
097EADB9-0E5A-47B0-B322-9273E3BCB09D.jpeg
We spent the next 9.5 hours cutting and packing him out. The hardest and greatest time we’ve ever had.
D15E3D5A-5E43-4753-8B95-1C912BF0652B.jpeg
Our extraction was delayed 3 days. We had a lot of time to reflect on our experience, feel gratitude for our blessings, and enjoy the fruits of our labors with plenty of bear and moose steaks on an open fire. Sometimes reality is bigger than our dreams!

7025A648-DE1F-4DB8-8CB7-F9A26EE159ED.jpeg

Last edited:

shdw633

Man, that is an awesome adventure!! Congrats on a great hunt, especially to be able to experience it all with your son as well!!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Don’t get much better than that ! Congrats on a hunt of a lifetime , and beautiful pictures ! Thanks for sharing

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
A big congratulations to you and your son!

Pack raft is a smart idea. According to my friends the biggest hold back on fly in moose. Is how far can you pack one after the kill.

twincedargap

A big congratulations to you and your son!

Pack raft is a smart idea. According to my friends the biggest hold back on fly in moose. Is how far can you pack one after the kill.
That was the plan. Hunt the lake. Use the raft to portage the meat. But in our case we killed the moose about a 1/2 mile from camp so had to tote him a little bit. Could have been a lot worse, he fell in a dry, hard ground grassy area, and the walk was flat and relative easy.

huntfish

Great trip! It's amazing how big moose get and seem to grow when they are on the ground! I'm always reminded when walking up on my first moose kill and thinking...."What have I gotten myself into"....

fatback

Sounds like an awesome trip. Great bill for your son and for you to be there and share that experience with him is something y’all will both treasure. Lots of good eating y’all hav there as well. Recalling those great memories while eating moose backstrap, doesn’t get much better than that.

BULL MOOSE

Awesome...is your son a resident or in military? I did a diy in ‘97, but I did not think you could anymore as a nonresident.

twincedargap

Awesome...is your son a resident or in military? I did a diy in ‘97, but I did not think you could anymore as a nonresident.
NR (nonresidents) can hunt without a guide for non dangerous game: moose, caribou, black bear, deer. Have to be guided if NR for goat sheep brown bear. I think military stationed in AK are granted resident privileges. There are next of kin rules that allow NR to hunt w/a resident present for dangerous game w/out a guide.

Last edited:

BULL MOOSE

NR (nonresidents) can hunt without a guide for non dangerous game: moose, caribou, black bear, deer. Have to be guided if NR for goat sheep brown bear. I think military stationed in AK are granted resident privileges. There are next of kin rules that allow NR to hunt w/a resident present for dangerous game w/out a guide.
Yes, that’s the way I remember it. I thought it had changed....that is good news. Still hope for me to return one more time and I sure like your boat method. We had a boat on Inoko river and was able to go up river and float to campsite each day.