Hog sign on Paulding?

db2teg

Hey y’all new to this hog hunting scene! I’m usually a squirrel and deer guy. Especially since I don’t have private land and they are very hard to find here on the WMAs I hunt. But after putting a lot of miles on my boots, think I finally found some signs of them. From what I found on the internet it’s hog. But I’m still green about everything hog so i just wanted your guys input.

These are from Paulding Forest WMA. I know they are there but could never find sign or every seen one. If this is hog sign, I am very excited. Even though it means they could be nowhere near there now.

On a side note if anyone would want to help a fella and his nephews put down their first hogs msg me!

Attachments

• F6CD60C6-9377-4744-BEA1-693AAD26C6D5.jpeg
    F6CD60C6-9377-4744-BEA1-693AAD26C6D5.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 9530D5F3-A66B-4CAD-BD9B-5A3B38D57FE1.jpeg
    9530D5F3-A66B-4CAD-BD9B-5A3B38D57FE1.jpeg
    633.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DFAEB665-A4D5-4250-A4A0-D0A471F88877.jpeg
    DFAEB665-A4D5-4250-A4A0-D0A471F88877.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 3E98DC7C-070A-4303-AB2B-ADD953748B54.jpeg
    3E98DC7C-070A-4303-AB2B-ADD953748B54.jpeg
    619.5 KB · Views: 53
  • EDFCC962-F3CC-4299-9D73-937028907A84.jpeg
    EDFCC962-F3CC-4299-9D73-937028907A84.jpeg
    859.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 80322BDB-6591-4D20-B0E7-DE86D5E0F28B.jpeg
    80322BDB-6591-4D20-B0E7-DE86D5E0F28B.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 55

db2teg

Check out Sheffield WMA while your up that way. Wear your snake boots for sure.

I have just not as much as Paulding. I don’t bow hunt so if I do go it’s during midday because I don’t want to blow anyone’s hunt if they are there.

Do you have a general area of Sheffield I should try scouting? I’ve scouted all the way at the end of iron stob.

Hillbilly stalker

I cant tell you anything about the area, but maybe I can share a few tips with you. The wind is most important when hog hunting. Find you a thicket , put the wind in your face or a stout crosswind.....and start easing thru. You cannot hunt hogs like you hunt deer. If you see or hear hogs...get to them quick and put one down. They are not as sensitive to noise as deer are, when there are several there, they constantly hear noise. Don't sit back and wait...get to them. If you pop a limb, wait just a couple of minutes and ease on. Put the round thru the shoulder or head, do not shoot one behind the shoulder like you do a deer, that's gut shot on a hog. I don't know about your neck of the woods, but around here they are eating acorns and hickory nuts. Use your ears alot hog hunting, when they are working them hickories they sound like jaw breakers, you can hear them along way. I often smell hogs before I find them...they smell like a old wet nasty dog, an old boar smells like pure testosterone, they stink BAD. If you see where it looks like one hog is rooting, its probably a mature boar. You can follow the rooting and catch up with them sometimes. I find the more ground I cover, the more success I have. My opinion a hog is twice as smart as a deer and they have alot more nerve. They love to curl up in tree tops and blow downs. I have jumped on trees before to see if they are there, walk away 30 yards and they go busting out the backside. They are alot of fun, I would rather hunt them than deer. I've had them play possum on me before too. If your a squirrel hunter you will love hog hunting. They tend to make alot of noise when their bedding down. Kinda like jockeying for the best spot. Good luck.(y)

db2teg

I cant tell you anything about the area, but maybe I can share a few tips with you. The wind is most important when hog hunting. Find you a thicket , put the wind in your face or a stout crosswind.....and start easing thru. You cannot hunt hogs like you hunt deer. If you see or hear hogs...get to them quick and put one down. They are not as sensitive to noise as deer are, when there are several there, they constantly hear noise. Don't sit back and wait...get to them. If you pop a limb, wait just a couple of minutes and ease on. Put the round thru the shoulder or head, do not shoot one behind the shoulder like you do a deer, that's gut shot on a hog. I don't know about your neck of the woods, but around here they are eating acorns and hickory nuts. Use your ears alot hog hunting, when they are working them hickories they sound like jaw breakers, you can hear them along way. I often smell hogs before I find them...they smell like a old wet nasty dog, an old boar smells like pure testosterone, they stink BAD. If you see where it looks like one hog is rooting, its probably a mature boar. You can follow the rooting and catch up with them sometimes. I find the more ground I cover, the more success I have. My opinion a hog is twice as smart as a deer and they have alot more nerve. They love to curl up in tree tops and blow downs. I have jumped on trees before to see if they are there, walk away 30 yards and they go busting out the backside. They are alot of fun, I would rather hunt them than deer. I've had them play possum on me before too. If your a squirrel hunter you will love hog hunting. They tend to make alot of noise when their bedding down. Kinda like jockeying for the best spot. Good luck.(y)

Wow thank you so much! Very very informative. Exactly what I was looking for advice wise. Now I know what I’m looking for. Thanks hillbilly!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
That is hog sign , I’d go back in that area after this rain and see if I could find some fresh sign . That will tell you if they are still in the area . And you can hunt them like deer if you find something they are feeding on good

Luvntheoutdors

There should be some kind of mast forage in the area you were at being the good hog sign. The size of that rub tree determines how tall it is and it looks like a biggun. Hunt that spot elevated and you should see one for sure. I love hunting Paulding Forest.

Hillbilly stalker

Something else to add, hog manure looks like black chestnuts or buckeyes. If you find it in a concentrated area and some of its fresh...your either in a preferred bedding area or a place they have fed...What I’ve passed on to you is things I have learned hunting HIGH pressured WMA on flat land of swamps and sloughs.....mountain or big woods hogs may be different. One thing will stay the same no matter where you hunt them.....a hog is a slave to their stomach ALWAYS. I’ve never hunted them from a blind or stand, I prefer to be a “ sneakin Mohican” :bounce:. I like to go in there and get them. Lots of ways to skin a cat tho. I bet you’ll like it. Good luck.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Something else to add, hog manure looks like black chestnuts or buckeyes. If you find it in a concentrated area and some of its fresh...your either in a preferred bedding area or a place they have fed...What I’ve passed on to you is things I have learned hunting HIGH pressured WMA on flat land of swamps and sloughs.....mountain or big woods hogs may be different. One thing will stay the same no matter where you hunt them.....a hog is a slave to their stomach ALWAYS. I’ve never hunted them from a blind or stand, I prefer to be a “ sneakin Mohican” :bounce:. I like to go in there and get them. Lots of ways to skin a cat tho. I bet you’ll like it. Good luck.
I agree hillbilly , stalking them is my preferred method also , but set up some dropping persimmons or acorns can be deadly !

NickDeer

Hey y’all new to this hog hunting scene! I’m usually a squirrel and deer guy. Especially since I don’t have private land and they are very hard to find here on the WMAs I hunt. But after putting a lot of miles on my boots, think I finally found some signs of them. From what I found on the internet it’s hog. But I’m still green about everything hog so i just wanted your guys input.

These are from Paulding Forest WMA. I know they are there but could never find sign or every seen one. If this is hog sign, I am very excited. Even though it means they could be nowhere near there now.

On a side note if anyone would want to help a fella and his nephews put down their first hogs msg me!
North Paulding Forest is covered in hogs

blt152

I have just not as much as Paulding. I don’t bow hunt so if I do go it’s during midday because I don’t want to blow anyone’s hunt if they are there.

Do you have a general area of Sheffield I should try scouting? I’ve scouted all the way at the end of iron stob.
No I do not, I've seen hog sign there when I turkey hunted. I now live in Alabama so will not be hunting much in Ga. I would check with your county game wardens as to areas to check on Sheffield. Daniel Gray the Haralson County gamewarden is pretty knowledgeable on Paulding Forest.

Jeff Raines

I live in north Paulding.Last month my wife killed a piglet in our subdivision backyard with my .22 caliber pellet gun.

Here is some rooting I found at Paulding Forest. It was somewhat fresh. I had checked out that area on a Wednesday and none of this wast there and came back that Friday and all this was there.

Attachments

• IMG-9729.jpg
    IMG-9729.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-9730.jpg
    IMG-9730.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-9733.jpg
    IMG-9733.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-9735.jpg
    IMG-9735.jpg