Coyote bait opinions

buckpasser

A little back story; I started coyote trapping with a kit that included a small can of bait. I had very little success early on, but started catching after switching to tainted home brew venison and barn cat. That worked well from January through late spring. After it got hot I only saw them hit big bait like road kill rabbits and whole chickens. As it’s cooled, I’ve been experimenting with some beaver based meat I made and it’s just not grabbing their attention. (I preserved it fresh and it actually smells pretty good to me) Interestingly enough, I laid out three Japanese persimmons in front of one camera and a pair ate two on the first night.

My question is this, what is your favorite meat for bait? I thought beaver would work well, and maybe I just haven’t given it enough time. I’m open to anything that’s legal or pm me if it’s not! Also, the scat I’ve seen lately is almost entirely free of hair. Corn, persimmon seeds, etc, but nothing else. Maybe I need to use fruit as bait right now??? Thanks in advance!

furtaker

Mild, "fruitier" bait is better early season like right now. Tainted, loud bait is better when the weather gets cold.

I've caught coyotes on fresh turkey and chicken parts before. I was going to experiment with making my own bait this year but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

willie1971

I'm not sold on a lot of different baits. Try mixing up your sets with dirt holes and flat sets 50/50. Lure and urine and bait provide different combos. I trade a little with some baitmakers, and their stuff seems pretty good. Theirs are mostly beaver-based. Commercial baits are great too. I like the mouse bobcat baits from Caven's.

Fruit seems to bring in coons, but can work on a variety of critters. One of my successful baits was some bacon that was a little spoiled, so I didn't let the wife throw it away. It's really about location, but it is fun to experiment and take notes if you have time.

280 Man

Banned
I'm not sold on a lot of different baits. Try mixing up your sets with dirt holes and flat sets 50/50. Lure and urine and bait provide different combos. I trade a little with some baitmakers, and their stuff seems pretty good. Theirs are mostly beaver-based. Commercial baits are great too. I like the mouse bobcat baits from Caven's.

Fruit seems to bring in coons, but can work on a variety of critters. One of my successful baits was some bacon that was a little spoiled, so I didn't let the wife throw it away. It's really about location, but it is fun to experiment and take notes if you have time.

You mean you let bacon spoil, thats blasphemy! :eek:...LOL

I really like Cavens baits. Ive caught a good many on it. Late spring and summer I only use scent for the most part.

AceOfTheBase

I used to salt areas in front of trail cams with stale cheese combos dipped in rancid bacon grease, grease that had fuzz growing on it. Worked like a charm on yotes and domestic dogs. Got to be careful handling it, like any stinky bait.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Caven's Hiawatha Valley is deadly on predators...I have really grown to like O'Gormans Powder River too. If I was only allowed 2 baits in my box these would be the ones
I had pretty good success my first season and I caught most of my coyotes with the cavens HV

Doug B.

I've used both of those but HV is the only one of those I've had success with.
Really! I started catching cats with the Carmans Bushwacker so I started using it where I thought was a good place for cats and started catching coyotes too. Its funny how something works in one region but not another. So................have you got any Bushwacker you would sell for cheap?

JK 280. I really do like it though. I'm not sure what's in it but I will look it up and see if I can find out.

furtaker

I've had good luck with June's Widowmaker too. It's a mild smelling bait.

I've caught many critters on Caven's Canine Force down a dirt hole. You better use a drop about the size of an English pea though, maybe less, or you will get a roller every time.

280 Man

Banned
I've had the best luck with Caven's, some of Mark Junes, and a couple others that my mind won't remember right now...Lol...

Ive also used dog treats. Bacon and cheese flavor.

Ol' Gobblero

No real magic bait. Any commercially made bait will work if you set on animal sign. No secrets in the trapping world. Set on sign, set as many as you can, catch more critters. Trapping is a numbers game; the more you set, the more you catch. The best trappers around average less than a 10% catch rate annually.

sleepr71

Ol Gobblero, what do you mean by a “10% catch rate”?? That trappers only catch about 10% of the predators on a property? BTW...Thank You for chiming in. I’ve always enjoyed your posts & knowledge on trapping?

sleepr71

Have any of you seen Coyotes react negatively to certain scents,or learn to associate bait smells with Danger? I’d think that if you used a bait repetitively in an area...they’d learn to avoid it & your sets :huh:

mossyoakpro

Really! I started catching cats with the Carmans Bushwacker so I started using it where I thought was a good place for cats and started catching coyotes too. Its funny how something works in one region but not another. So................have you got any Bushwacker you would sell for cheap?

JK 280. I really do like it though. I'm not sure what's in it but I will look it up and see if I can find out.

Doug, they out of Bushwhacker? I use it on occasion but I always have to put it in another container...the jar they use is terrible to break.

Doug B.

Doug, they out of Bushwhacker? I use it on occasion but I always have to put it in another container...the jar they use is terrible to break.
No they're not out of it. I was just kinda joking that if it didn't work for anybody I would buy what they had left for a discounted price. Sorry. Sometimes my mind thinks what my mouth don't say (or in this case type)

I've never had a problem with the jar breaking but I will be careful with them and watch them from now on.