Did you Reload anything today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimrod71

Heading to the reloading bench now to make up some 22-250'. I haven't shot this rifle in a number of years. A friend called as wants to shoot some in the morning so I told him I would meet him at the range. He is sighting in his deer rifle and needs some encouragement. I like shooting 22-250's they are just about like lasers. Several of my friends have deer some nice deer with them. Now if I can just find the load data for the rifle. Oh well guess I'll have to start all over, that's what makes reloading fun. All the shooting.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Finally home from work on my day off...Tomorrow I am making 2 .22-250 5 shot ladders with 60gr and 40gr (30 rounds) with the same powder so I don't have to clean between...then 2 .243 ladders with 100gr and 85gr (30 rounds) the same way. Going to load 20 hunting rounds for the .260 with 127LRX...then 20 .270 with 130gr Accubonds...all the while I will be running 9mm with the new tumbler bases. When I'm done with that I will start a Low Country for my Baby Gurl's B'day...going to be another busy one :)

deerslayer357

Well one of those 7mm-08 Nosler Ballistic Tips is no more. Killed a 8 pt this evening with it. Nothing like taking an animal with a load you developed and a bullet you loaded

BeefMaster

Hopefully tomorrow I will have the time to slap some 44mag together. I’ll be running Hornady 300 grain xtp over some Hogdon Universal for about 1100 fps. I load these specifically for my S&W 329pd. With it being so lightweight full house loads are hard to control if you need more than one. I like to keep it loaded with 4 of these loads and 2 snake shots in the summer and then substitute two 240 grain (Speer deep curl) at 1400ish fps loads for the snake shot when it cools off. I mark the hot ones on the bottom with a red sharpie to cut down on surprises.

Dub

Finally home from work on my day off...Tomorrow I am making 2 .22-250 5 shot ladders with 60gr and 40gr (30 rounds) with the same powder so I don't have to clean between...then 2 .243 ladders with 100gr and 85gr (30 rounds) the same way. Going to load 20 hunting rounds for the .260 with 127LRX...then 20 .270 with 130gr Accubonds...all the while I will be running 9mm with the new tumbler bases. When I'm done with that I will start a Low Country for my Baby Gurl's B'day...going to be another busy one :)

That is a pile of stuff to do on a first day off.....but it’s all fun stuff. Interested to see how the ladder loads turn out.

Well one of those 7mm-08 Nosler Ballistic Tips is no more. Killed a 8 pt this evening with it. Nothing like taking an animal with a load you developed and a bullet you loaded

CONGRATS !!!!!!!

well done !!!!!!

Pics ??? :)

deerslayer357

I posted it in the LFTT for 10-17 PM, but here is one. Was by myself and didn’t get any good pics.

Attachments

• 40BFEB50-1C98-47AA-ABE2-A1DFFB0F9199.jpeg
    40BFEB50-1C98-47AA-ABE2-A1DFFB0F9199.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 16

Jester896

Senior Clown
Got me a late start...
First batch of 9mm in in the dehydrator dryin
IMG_0741.jpg

I used Hornady case for the 60gr and FC cases for the 50gr...changed it up from the 40gr... the shortest Hornady case was 1.906 so I trimmed them all at 1.905...the FC were 1.911 so I trimmed them all to 1.910...from the 1.912 MAX...to make sure they cleaned up.

IMG_0736.jpg
then ran the VLD tool a couple of spins to get the inside of the neck
IMG_0737.jpg

Finished up the outside of the neck, deburred the flash hole and uniformed the primer pocket.

I used straight Nosler data and H380.. their recommended accuracy load.. and that is why the change from 40gr to 50gr so I could burn the same powder in both ladders. I went -.5 and +.5 on the 60s and +.5 and +1.0 on the 50s...gotta start somewhere. Since I don't have chamber data on the new build I don't know how far out I can seat so I used Nosler data for that too. The open box of 60s I have have a cannelure...if I seated them to the cannelure they would have been 2.49 but I went ahead and pushed them on down to 2.35 from the data.

H380 is straight pixie dust...that stuff get everywhere...got all 30 of those rascals seated...now just wait for the build to finish.
IMG_0738.jpg
Done with that...wrote the charge weights on the case with a sharpie and since the low charge of 55gr was also 37 I wrote 60 on the other side of the case so I can keep them separate if something happens.
IMG_0739.jpg

weights are a little off today for some reason...Chargemaster says the pan weighs 156.4 and the Gemtec says 156.46...The 10-10 is on the money with the check weight but says the charge is light...dunno...rolling with it.

.243 was up next...pulled the new cases out...no powder funnel for 6mm...smh..stopped to get some grub on and a drink..then type this

Reactions: Dub

BriarPatch99

My grandson Samuel(15) and I loaded a box of 20 Barnes 80 grain TTSX .243 Winchester and shot a couple to check the scope setting.....

Plans were to hit the woods and shoot a deer .....he woke up sick .....so that is for another day....

Nimrod71

I shot up all the 7-30's I had loaded so I will be putting some new ones together today. The old ones were loaded with Hornady 139's. I think I will try some 120's today. I've never shot any 120's so this will be fun.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I pulled one of the .45-70 rounds I acquired and sure enough it had the amount of powder that was listed on the sheet...10gr under min load...guess I will pull the rest and dump the powder...didn't want to shoot 405gr cast bullets anyway :D

still didn't get to the .25-06 that were sitting on the loading bench...they are up next...I did do a hard look at all of them that said Hornady American Whitetail and they sure look like that to me....

Nimrod71

Just back from the range. Shot up all the 7-30's I loaded. I loaded 20 rounds with 120 gr Hornadys over BLC2 and they shot really good. I had sighted the rifle in with Hornady 139's so it didn't shoot the same. The fun part is resighting with a different bullet and powder. I was surprised to see the 120's shot about 8 inches higher than the 139's. Now back to the press and scale time to load up again for tomorrow is another day.

pacecars

I just cast a bunch of 670 gr paper patch bullets and got them all patched up and ready to go. I will get them all loaded with 100 grs of Kik 3F black powder tomorrow and then shoot them Wednesday

rosewood

I pulled one of the .45-70 rounds I acquired and sure enough it had the amount of powder that was listed on the sheet...10gr under min load...guess I will pull the rest and dump the powder...didn't want to shoot 405gr cast bullets anyway :D

What powder? I load several grains below listed minimum in my 45-70 using RL7, seems like it is 34 grains. It shoots great. Depends on the manual on what they show as minimum.

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
What powder? I load several grains below listed minimum in my 45-70 using RL7, seems like it is 34 grains. It shoots great. Depends on the manual on what they show as minimum.

Rosewood

3031...I just checked data for a lever gun...not older stuff

rosewood

3031...I just checked data for a lever gun...not older stuff
I bet you are ok with reduce loads with 3031. Now if it was way over limit, I would pull for sure.

Nimrod71

I was surprised to see IMR 3031 listed for 45-70 Trapdoor rifles. Last fall a friend stopped by and ask if I reloaded 45-70. I told him I did and he ask if I would load him some for his new rifle. He then pull out a trap door rifle he said was built in the late 1800's. I told him I had never loaded for a trapdoor and I didn't think i wanted to start now. The rifle looked O K but to me I don't know if they are safe. We talked a while and then he left. That night he came back with a new idea. I ask what and he ask if I would let him use my reloading equipment nd help him load for the trapdoor. I finally agreed after having him sign off hat I was not liable for any damages or his life if the rifle blew up. I got out my Sierra manual and there it was 38 to 43 grs. 3031. He loaded 20 rounds with 40 grs of IMR 3031. We then went outside and tied the rifle in his lead sled, loaded the rifle, put a string on the trigger, pulled the hammer back and cocked it. Then we got behind his truck and he pull the string. The rifle fired and didn't blow up. He then reload and fired again. All in all he fired 10 rounds. Now back to the reloading bench. He left happy, his new toy worked and didn't blow up.

rosewood

I was surprised to see IMR 3031 listed for 45-70 Trapdoor rifles. Last fall a friend stopped by and ask if I reloaded 45-70. I told him I did and he ask if I would load him some for his new rifle. He then pull out a trap door rifle he said was built in the late 1800's. I told him I had never loaded for a trapdoor and I didn't think i wanted to start now. The rifle looked O K but to me I don't know if they are safe. We talked a while and then he left. That night he came back with a new idea. I ask what and he ask if I would let him use my reloading equipment nd help him load for the trapdoor. I finally agreed after having him sign off hat I was not liable for any damages or his life if the rifle blew up. I got out my Sierra manual and there it was 38 to 43 grs. 3031. He loaded 20 rounds with 40 grs of IMR 3031. We then went outside and tied the rifle in his lead sled, loaded the rifle, put a string on the trigger, pulled the hammer back and cocked it. Then we got behind his truck and he pull the string. The rifle fired and didn't blow up. He then reload and fired again. All in all he fired 10 rounds. Now back to the reloading bench. He left happy, his new toy worked and didn't blow up.
Those trapdoor rifles are really the only ones that can't handle hotter loads. But you can bet a "trapdoor" load is safe in all other weapons.

Rosewood

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
These have 31gr of IMR3031 (or that's whats in the load data with them) under a 405 cast bullet that doesn't show marks from the collet puller :)

Nimrod71

Jester, i don't know about those loads, I would have to research a 3031 load for cast 405. It may be O K or it may be something that would blow the rifle up. You are right to pull them down. Cast bullets can be heck on rifling if the rifle is not made for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.